Game-Labs Forum

Minor port battle changes next patch

Feature that definitely will get in

Port battles will split into 3 levels next patch (eta mid may)

Regional deep water capitals (unless its a shallow water port) - will accept all ships 

Normal deep water ports - will accept ships up to 4th rates

Shallow water - will accept ships up to brigs

Request: Please change outposts docks accordingly and start re-positioning your forces 

Feature that might get in with patch or in a next hotfix

Port battle flow will change dramatically and will be rolled out for testing

Port battles will still be not connected to land (next patch)

Changes

• Battle circle of death will be removed 
  • Towers will remain but will not be an objective
  • BR difference will be removed from the objective 
  • 3 capture zones will be added to port battles

to win the port battle you have to do one of the following 

• destroy enemy fleet completely or
  • Gain enough victory points

Victory points are gained by the following

• Losing ships loses points based on the BR of the vessel
  • Killing ships gives points based on the BR of the vessel
  • Controlling zones gives points 
  • Zone can be captured by any ship
  • If enemy ship is present in the zone capture stops and the enemy must be destroyed first
  • The zone will be 1 -1.5 km in diameter to disable trolling and line hugging

What we will be testing -

distance between circles, victory point allocation, bugs etc.

Warning - you will lose ports with the new port battle systems because they are new and will take practice. You are doing port battles for testing and improvements not for pride and glory (it will come later). Points, circle sizes and distances might change dramatically during testing.

One thing we are unsure about is wind. 

We are proposing to just use the wind from the OW forcing attacker to pick the right moment and the day (if wind strenght is implemented).

Initially the wind will stay as it is right now.

• Like 24

What we will be testing -

distance between circles, victory point allocation, bugs etc.

Warning - you will lose ports with the new ports. You are doing port battles for testing and improvements not for pride and glory (it will come later). Points, circle sizes and distances might change dramatically during testing.

Its important to emphasis you're not just playing a game... You are helping to build one.

While I personally don't like all the above suggested changes such as "Normal deep water ports - will accept ships up to 4th rates".

I am willing to give it a go and see how it works for sure.

All in all pretty good & meaningful changes to PB mechanics. Should be fun...

• Like 6

Last Port Battle i participated a dutch fleet was attacking a pirate harbor so we build a defence fleet and even if the dutch got bigger BR - more First Rates- they just sailed away to keep us busy without the intention to capture the Port.

In the End, the Circle of Death forced them to get in range, so we where able to sunk 6 First Rates in the last 15 Minutes. Without that Circle they will stay out of range 90 Minutes and no fight happens at all.

If the Attacker dont want to fight he must be punished in some way if he dont leaves (its ok to leave if you see you losses will be too high, but just stay out of range to bound the defender, will kill the fun and i stopped playing that day like many other Pirates in the last weeks)

So Defender should also be able to win the fight by gaining Victory Points

• Like 3

Will this mean that 1st to 3rd rates will only be able to fight for Regional deep water capitals AND only be able to dock up in Regional deep water capitals (and ofc regular capitals)? 

Because I only read a definite statement about fighting and a small hint about docking.

Do the changes to the ports apply only in port battles or in OW as well i.e. will a normal deep water port (not regional capital) no longer be accessible to 1st - 3rd rates in OW? or to put it another way...1st - 3rd rates can only dock at regional capital deep water ports in OW?

Ninja'd :)

So Defender should also be able to win the fight by gaining Victory Points

•  
  • "Controlling zones gives points /Zone can be captured by any ship/If enemy ship is present in the zone capture stops and the enemy must be destroyed first"

What makes tyou thinking that defender cannot win by points??? 

• Like 1

Feature that definitely will get in

Shallow water - will accept ships up to brigs

Request: Please change outposts docks accordingly and start re-positioning your forces 

• Gain enough victory points

·         Controlling zones gives points 

Can we assume Niagara/Mercury are  considered brigs for this purpose?

Can 1st,2nd and 3rd rates be docked in non-capital deep ports?  

"Gain enough victory points" means only  "more than enemy" or there is any required number?

"Controlling zones gives points " How much times? fixed number or time control related?

Edited by Eishen

two questions:

1) Niagara will become available in shallow waters port battles or Mercury will still be the "flagship" for that kind of battles?

2) Even though excluded by the corresponding port battles, will1st, 2nd and 3rd rates still be allowed to dock in any deep water port?

• Like 2

I would suggest allowing 3rd rates into normal deep water ports. Otherwise almost all port battles will be fought with frigattes only.

Then in turn they will be fought with 3rd rates only, meaning Bellonas... There's a pattern and the gameplay compromise proposed is, in my opinion, sound and worth playing for a while to see how it goes.

• Like 2

There are only 38 regional deep water capitals and 1 regional deep water capital free port.

Will 1, 2 and 3rd rates use in PB for 38 ports?

====

В игре 38 региональных глубоководных столиц и 1 свободный порт.

1,2 и 3 рейты будут использоваться только в битвах за эти 38 портов?

I would suggest allowing 3rd rates into normal deep water ports. Otherwise almost all port battles will be fought with frigattes only.

isnt that the whole porpose?

To give frigates a place in PBs? ause right now its go big or go home.

1st rate only fleets are not rare..

• Like 5

I would not call these changes minor, but they do make sense indeed. Looking forward to giving this a good try.

I would suggest considering introduction of three types of outcome for a port battle and link clear-cut victory conditions to all three.

(1) port battle won by the attacker, resulting in port being captured (besides, good loot and perhaps additional XP/gold bonuses to the attacker)

(2) sort of draw, meaning for example that port had been reached and raided (still some loot for the attacker and perhaps port or port's economy (production buildings?) blocked for a short period), but could not be held by the attacker and remains in possesion of the defender

(3) port battle lost by the attacker. therefore, some additional  reward to the defender (say in bonus XP and gold modifiers) aside from keeping the port.

This is just a general idea, but the main point would be to have additional reasons to start a battle and/or stay in battle for either side, if even complete victory is unlikely. This could also introduce some soort of raiding mechanics, I suppose.

As for for defining victory condition, that could be combination of already mentioned zones of control, kill ratio, and later on land-linked objectives (forts).

Edited by Stilgar

Interesting changes but still some points unclear to me about the victory points, are points based on the BR of the ships sunk or does a mercury count as much as a constitution in terms of victory points if sunk  ? 

Edit : Silly me this was in the initial post,  missed it on a probably too fast first read, sorry 

By the way Admin : With many battles limited to 4th rates isn't it the perfect time to increase the drop chances for the Ingermanland BP that seems very hard to drop for many of us ? Please  ;)

Thanks.

two questions:

1) Niagara will become available in shallow waters port battles or Mercury will still be the "flagship" for that kind of battles?

2) Even though excluded by the corresponding port battles, will1st, 2nd and 3rd rates still be allowed to dock in any deep water port?

That I would really love to know - if that changes too, I ll have to relocate my ships used for normal missions.

Where is everyone reading that you can't park a 1st - 3rd rate ina ny deep water port you like. I only see info related to port battle in OP...

because of that

Warning - you will lose ports with the new ports. You are doing port battles for testing and improvements not for pride and glory (it will come later). Points, circle sizes and distances might change dramatically during testing.