Game-Labs Forum

Ship role, comparisons of vessels and wind strength

Dynamic wind is one of the best ideas when right now the foremost interest of a sailor in the instance is not to crash into each other. Potential loss af sails/masts because of sail- mismanagement is very interesting and would certainly add something new. Please please do it :) Greetz, Allons!

• Like 1

Regarding chasers, I would prefer to keep this historical if at all possible. Many ships have bridle ports (Essex, Belle Poule for example) that give a gun a a line of fire 30-45* from the bow. Other ships (looking primarily at the Trincomalee, Rattlesnake, and I think the Constitution as the biggest offenders) have bridle ports or angled weather deck ports that would give that same line of fire off the bow as the Essex and Belle Poule, yet have chasers and can fire directly forward. The only ships that should be able to fire directly forward are those with chaser setups like the Frigate, 3rd/Bellona, Victory, etc.

• Like 2

Variable wind conditions would add a lot, as you would need to take the weather into consideration more. Historical battles were sometimes lost or won due to changes in the wind.

A storm moving across the sea could provide a situation where you have to react appropriately or possibly sink or take damage. Sailors of the day had to fight against the weather to survive.

Please don't add chasers if the ship didn't have them, as the ships were designed the way they were for a good reason...balance/ weight, costs, usefulness, etc.

I love the idea of variable winds and weather. It would make things a lot more interesting and make it to where everyone isn't just sailing around in the large line ships all of the time when they can crew them. I Think that it would be interesting to take it a step further and incorporate ship listing into what gun deck portholes can be opened. In heavy weather with a good list, ships with multiple gun decks had to watch opening their lower gun deck portholes because the gun deck could swamp and sink the ship. That could also make people more selective as to what type of weather they choose to fight in and give smaller ships a bit of an advantage over multiple gun deck line ships.

A couple patches ago "Studding Sails" and "Stay Sails" were introduced as an upgrade.  The real life purpose of these sailing rigs was to help bigger ships sail at higher top speeds in light winds.  I wonder if this correlation could be added in game, (if wind speed alterations will happen).

Why not let people use their favorite ship with chasers in pvp under right weather condition. I like my boat , but now it doesn't have chasers, so I am forced to take some other one I don't enjoy sailing. Why:?

How about making it so that for those ships that do not have chasers, there is gunnery equipment: Chaser Guns Fittings that allows you to add 2 chaser guns of the top deck calibre. (note you still have to buy chaser guns)

It takes 1 upgrade slot but enables relevant chaser slot.

You could have Bow Chaser Gun fittings and Stern Chaser gun fittings. For those that already have the chasers you could either make that it adds nothing, or that it Still adds 2 cannons, depending on the balancing.

I think this would give a lot of flexibility and customization options, while still retaining a tradeoff in terms of consuming an upgrade slot.

(Imagine Essex with bow and stern chasers but 2 upgrades slots taken). I find it to be a fair trade.

That way you still preserve ship individuality but give more customization options

Edited by Grunf
  • Like 1