Development priorities

Provide your preference on the development priorities  

466 members have voted

1. 1. Development priorities

• Improve sailing further
    • Improve damage model further
    • Simplified boarding combat
    • Ability to transfer to the surrendered ship
    • Open world prototype (testing distances and travel)
    • Simplified progression and ranks
    • Detailed customization
    • Add full line up of ships
    • Crew and simple crew management
    • Officers
    • NPC and Player controlled land batteries
    • Add ability to donate to project or pre-order

• 4 weeks later...

voted for open world and crew/crew management a very close 2nd. 

Watching the vids it does strike me that the ships appear rather empty. maybe there has been discussion on this previously i don't know but i hope there is consideration for the population of the ships to be varied based on user's computer specs and ability to handle it..

• Like 1

I wouldve been satisfied with the matchmaking system seeing as how I like to play other similar games in that fashion. However I didn't give much thought at first but now that I think about it the open world sandbox could provide so much fun gameplay. I would definitely prefer if the devs worked on the sandbox and all the gameplay that supports it. Also voted for damage model, can't wait to see what improvements can be made. 

For me the key to pvp vs. matchmaking is that it should be difficult to find and engage the enemy. This is a key aspect of naval warfare at the time and without it I feel the game would lack much of the strategic and tactical situations I would look for. I do realize though that this might be difficult to accomplish with real world geography and tens of thousands of players. 

This should probably have been posted here: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/1350-development-priorities/

Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

#1) *Improve Sailing... We need tweaks for the tacking system and a way to disable the fore-and-aft sails. I also strongly feel that we should have an advanced optional feature for control over individual sails, even if in prototype form with a proof-of-concept UI. I would also love to see some visual features like luffing and clewing up, but that can wait until the future.

#2) *improve damage model....This feature is about half-done, with very nice hull damage, and some progress on rigging damage. Sinking is still the only outcome of battle, and that is a dangerous state to release the game in. Rigging damage- like mast in water having to be cut free from ship. And crew damage needs to matter. The devs' vision of different paths to victory does not yet exist.

Those 2 should be top on the list..............

#1) *Improve Sailing... We need tweaks for the tacking system and a way to disable the fore-and-aft sails. I also strongly feel that we should have an advanced optional feature for control over individual sails, even if in prototype form with a proof-of-concept UI. I would also love to see some visual features like luffing and clewing up, but that can wait until the future.

We are able to either controle tha yards by ourselfs or let the autoskipper do the job. We can control: fore and mainyards together and the mizzen's yards independant.

All the sailing physics are tied to real life scenarios. Done in cooporation with real life skippers and a TON of research.

So dont worry on this behalf.

All this is explained in multiple threads. So go ahead and use the serarch function for further info.

Not sure what you're responding to there, Bungee. AP514 is pointing at two problems that still exist in the sailing model (actually quoting one of my posts),

The 1st problem is that you can swivel your yards to stop, but all your fore-and-aft sails will still be driving you forward. It's a ridiculous situation. Imagine if a racing game had a brake pedal but forced you to stay in drive while braking. The ship is fighting itself by trying to sail in two directions simultaneously.

Problem 2 is that you can cheat while tacking, and people who use the correct method put themselves at a disadvantage.

devs already said there will be no system that features control of every single canvas you have on your ship. And thats okay since I want to fight my ship. Not to be bothered with sailing all the time.

About the independance of all three masts.. for what reason? I cant see one. Right now I can do all I meed.

Backing forces DO work. You CAN stop your ship faster with backened sails. It does not feel like a lot thats true. But devs elaborated about this in a earlier post. They cannot simply change values on behalf. If they increase the backing factors we will soon be able to do 15 knots backwards. wich is redicolous.

So what are you talking now, Maturin?

a way to disable the fore-and-aft sails. I also strongly feel that we should have an advanced optional feature for control over individual sails

devs already said there will be no system that features control of every single canvas you have on your ship

thats fact. Maybe I should add that I do mean INDIVIDUAL CONTROL.

The 1st problem is that you can swivel your yards to stop, but all your fore-and-aft sails will still be driving you forward.

Backing forces DO work. You CAN stop your ship faster with backened sails

Tell me where I missunderstood you two. Cause I cant see the point you try to have

thats fact. Maybe I should add that I do mean INDIVIDUAL CONTROL.

Well I didn't. Individual sail control has nothing to do with fixing the always-on fore-and-aft sails, which poses an objective problem for ship handling. You're not comprehending the post.

Backing forces DO work. You CAN stop your ship faster with backened sails

So when you want to stop your car, you hold down the brake and the accelerator at the same time?!

It works, but it doesn't work well. No serious developer will let this aspect of the control scheme go unfixed. And it's an easy fix. Just add a single line of code disabling the driving power of fore-and-aft sail whenever a player puts a sail aback.

Geez, why is it that whenever I suggest a realistic feature there are cries of "no Maturin, it will make the game too hard, think of the children!"

But as soon as I suggest a tweak that would make the things easier and more intuitive, the game is good enough as is.

• Like 1

so.. I finally see what u mean by fore and aft sails. I only know them by jibs. A word-for-word translation did not hel with fore/aft.

My bad for not looing it up earlier. (I still cant see the meaning of "aft-sail". is it the spanker?)

It works, but it doesn't work well. No serious developer will let this aspect of the control scheme go unfixed. And it's an easy fix. Just add a single line of code disabling the driving power of fore-and-aft sail whenever a player puts a sail aback.

I think it was you who asked this bevore and you know the answer to it. Devs told ya its not only a few lines of code. Its more in-depht to tweak it to your behalf. Else they would have done it by now.

If you want to hear it or not: I dont like how it works now, too. I feel like on ice. But the problem may be in the disseappearance of water resistance to the hull as well. Who knows. But the "breaking-force" should be a lot more.

About "buhuu its so hard I cannot sail".. seriously?!? I guess your an adult and stand bejond such people.

I am not against improvements and tweaks.. But I hate to see hundrets of posts asking the same questions again.

Theres a HUUUUGE thread in the testforum. Its yours. And all you have to say is stated in there. Shall I move it to the public so everyone can have a go there?

Cause often I feel users are new, not interested in the search or cannot find anything since its in that subforum.

so.. I finally see what u mean by fore and aft sails. I only know them by jibs. A word-for-word translation did not hel with fore/aft.

My bad for not looing it up earlier. (I still cant see the meaning of "aft-sail". is it the spanker?)

It means that they are set on the fore-aft axis. That is, parallel with the keel. Therefore they are the opposite of square sails (often pentagonal in shape), which are at right--or 'square' angles to the keel.

I think it was you who asked this bevore and you know the answer to it. Devs told ya its not only a few lines of code. Its more in-depht to tweak it to your behalf. Else they would have done it by now.

I never read such a post. Feel free to link it.

The sail-model test build showed how simple their system is. If they can't make such a simple change, then they have coded it poorly.

If this was a feature request I would not be so insistent. But it's not. It is a bug.

If you want to hear it or not: I dont like how it works now, too. I feel like on ice. But the problem may be in the disseappearance of water resistance to the hull as well. Who knows. But the "breaking-force" should be a lot more.

Then say something about it! Do you know whay my testing forum thread is worth without public pressure and repetition? Nothing.

And I'm telling you that I know very well what the problem is. The devs showed us the numbers. In algebraic terms: When you disable your square sails, there is 10x newtons of water resistance making you deccelerate. But as you are trying to stop, your jibs and spanker are driving you forward by 8x joules. So you are out if control and decelerate by 2x instead of 10x.

(Made up physics)

But I hate to see hundrets of posts asking the same questions again.

Hundreds... or exactly two?

Hyperbole aside, change is only accomplished through repetition and popularity. That's how every community works.

Move the thread if you want; I think it's a little too specific for people that have no access to the actual game.

So.. I will not go ahead and search the whole forum. I skimmed a few topics but then there are so many others so I cannot find the quote I am looking for.  The reply was about backing forces wich, if you increase them will in the same moment, influence backward speed equally.

Thats said/written just dont bragg on me. If any dev will reply on this behalf there is a way to be sure.

About "how to push content": Theres a certain saturation to any request count. Devs are only a few and topics are a lot.

I will go ahead and put the "maturin's sailing" thread to the public. Everyone interested will be able to see on your first post what is actually in game and what needs tweaking.

I feel that there is more efficiency in doing so than having a lot of people ask questions/ have improvements wich are answered/mentioned bevore.

note: I will try and keep that thread on topic. (moderation-wise Ill delete spam and offtopic)

So.. I will not go ahead and search the whole forum. I skimmed a few topics but then there are so many others so I cannot find the quote I am looking for. The reply was about backing forces wich, if you increase them will in the same moment, influence backward speed equally

Hence the reason I am NOT calling for the increase in backing forces. This exchange has been about a related, but entirely separate, issue. Hence the reason for the miscommunication.

• 1 month later...

I would think that you would want to have as many people as possible to be able to play.  I have a good computer but its a laptop.  I cannot upgrade my video card.  At present i cannot justify spending the money to build a home system or purchase a new gaming laptop for 1 game when there are several others i can play which i hve no problems with the video cards(WOT,WAR THUNdER).  I do wish to play badly and will continue to support what you are doing.  The game concept is AWESOME!  I need a Sea Battle in my repitoire.  If this is not a prioity, whats is an estimated time this will be playable on DX10 or open GL?  i will chck detailed customization to try an hit the hull!

I would think that you would want to have as many people as possible to be able to play.  I have a good computer but its a laptop.  I cannot upgrade my video card.  At present i cannot justify spending the money to build a home system or purchase a new gaming laptop for 1 game when there are several others i can play which i hve no problems with the video cards(WOT,WAR THUNdER).  I do wish to play badly and will continue to support what you are doing.  The game concept is AWESOME!  I need a Sea Battle in my repitoire.  If this is not a prioity, whats is an estimated time this will be playable on DX10 or open GL?  i will chck detailed customization to try an hit the hull!

They've stated that as they get nearer to release, they'll support lesser rigs.  For now, they're focused on getting a working product out before they turn around and focus on making it work with older hardware.   Please don't think I'm being hard on you - I'm in exactly the same boat as you are and am suffering through playing in a world of pink walls, mostly blind and completely unable to see the aim of my cannon, the fall of my shot, the surface of the water, or even other ships when there is any level of smoke around.  But I'm still having some fun and looking forward to better compatibility in the future.

They've stated that as they get nearer to release, they'll support lesser rigs

Im not sure if you swapped the meaning of something here.

Since this is a test version with no major grafics optimization we can expect to run the game smoother in the future with less ressources needed.

When this comes in effect you can tell that even more rigs can run naval action than previously.

But still, keep in mind this is a test. Optimization will be done for early acces or even later. (no official statement, only guessing)

Im not sure if you swapped the meaning of something here.

Since this is a test version with no major grafics optimization we can expect to run the game smoother in the future with less ressources needed.

When this comes in effect you can tell that even more rigs can run naval action than previously.

But still, keep in mind this is a test. Optimization will be done for early acces or even later. (no official statement, only guessing)

I think we're giving the same message here.  Sometime in the future, as release gets closer (and it gets closer every day, no?), there will be further optimizations needed.  I'm assuming that Naval Action will eventually support DX10, but that may not be the case?

I read something about the water being server based and that it would affect everone elses gameplay if they decreased it so i dont think its a priority or a concern for them at this time.  In my opinion it wont happen until they see how low there player base will be without lower end support.