Game-Labs Forum

Gunpowder age cannon fire [sights & sound]

Hethwill

Despite this one being dated from the ACW the sound is well caught and quite scary. Given the camera angle is somewhat at the height of a infantryman it gives a good account of the crack and whistle of the shot.

This one features a nice Napoleon and the destructive power at close range. Nice slow motion and impressive results.

Post more regarding gunpowder age with sight and sound :)

• Like 3

I really like the Niagara video. It reminds me of an episode of Myth Busters, the pirate episode. They built a "ship" and shot a found shot at it to find out if splinters were a problem. The results showed that the splinters weren't deadly. They didn't do it right. Their cannon was air propelled and not gun powder propelled. The "ship" was just boards nailed to a frame. I like the Myth Busters but I called Bullshit on their test. That video with the smashers proves that.

Just to toot my own horn, last summer I got to see a live fire exhibition of 1805 weapons. Several small arms and a 1 pounder swivel. It was during the Lewis and Clark Festival, held every June in Great Falls, Montana. The intrepid explorers trod the very ground a block from my house, about 210 years ago. The live fire, no ball, of the swivel was pretty awesome. I really want to shoot an 18 pounder. It might put my .22 to shame.

• Like 2

I really like the Niagara video. It reminds me of an episode of Myth Busters, the pirate episode. They built a "ship" and shot a found shot at it to find out if splinters were a problem. The results showed that the splinters weren't deadly. They didn't do it right. Their cannon was air propelled and not gun powder propelled. The "ship" was just boards nailed to a frame. I like the Myth Busters but I called Bullshit on their test. That video with the smashers proves that.

The problem was that they got their myth wrong in the first place.

First of all, they arbitrarily decided that the splinters had to be "lethal," which is a complete fiction, and then they arbitrarily labeled it a "pirate" myth instead of a general fact of naval warfare.

When of course it didn't matter whether splinters were lethal so long as they caused casualties, and pirates hardly used their guns at all, much less roundshot against hulls.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...