Game-Labs Forum

Remove 1.5BR anti-gank programming

this 1.5BR limit is so frustrating and the OP is right.

if you make PVPrs happy in a game like this you will see increased activities, making pvp'rs happier then guys who build and use the market and are SMART will love it because they sell a lot more stuff as people sink ships. everyone wins with a healthy active pvp game.

when devs start limiting pvp POTBS style...game dies, whether it is "supposedly" in alpha or not.

• Like 1

this 1.5BR limit is so frustrating and the OP is right.

if you make PVPrs happy in a game like this you will see increased activities, making pvp'rs happier then guys who build and use the market and are SMART will love it because they sell a lot more stuff as people sink ships. everyone wins with a healthy active pvp game.

when devs start limiting pvp POTBS style...game dies, whether it is "supposedly" in alpha or not.

1) PvPers want, unfair fights not ganks.

2) PvPers want less running and chasing

3) PvPers know and understand how to avoid ganks yes. But unfortunately some of us have lives and don't have all day to spend defensive tagging, running and waiting for a enemy fleet to show up to match our force, which sometimes never happens.  We would rather be doing multiple fun battles with BR system than doing lopsided ganks as our everyday PvP.

Do people want to logg on for 3 hours and 100% of that time bullshitting with defensive tag, running or being a ganker? No, that's boring and not what PvPers want to do with their time on NA.

unfortunately some of us have lives and don't have all day to spend defensive tagging, running and waiting for a enemy fleet to show up to match our force, which sometimes never happens.  We would rather be doing multiple fun battles with BR system than doing lopsided ganks as our everyday PvP.

Do people want to logg on for 3 hours and 100% of that time bullshitting with defensive tag, running or being a ganker? No, that's boring and not what PvPers want to do with their time on NA.

Isn't the new duel mechanic and the old small/large battle mechanic supposed to take care of that problem? If it doesn't, shouldn't you be raising concerns about it instead of arguing against OP's point of view? If you want a BR restriction, it follows that you are willing to venture out to sea and seek an engagement with an enemy (which - the engagement - you'd like to have limited to 1.5BR at the most). It doesn't stack up well with your "not all of us have time" argument...

• Like 1

It doesn't stack up well with your "not all of us have time" argument...

Let's just put it this way. If you are a PvPer, you don't find ganking, running and chasing worthy of your time on the game. In other words, it's b o r i n g. Better things in life to do than that, thank god devs are working on a solution to eliminate gankers and their squads for us who like fun PvP. Edited by Acadian44
  • Like 1

Let's just put it this way. If you are a PvPer, you don't find ganking, running and chasing worthy of your time on the game. In other words, it's b o r i n g. Better things in life to do than that, thank god devs are working on a solution to eliminate gankers and their squads for us who like fun PvP.

I guess different people enjoy different types of playing. Those with limited time have got the duels and missions. While others go more for the greater tactical realism that was available before the 1.5 rule.

For the later group 'ganking' was about as negative as getting sunk. Sure it was not what you'd choose but your motivation was to try to make sure it didn't happen not have the rules changed to make it less likely. Ganking was just the possible consequence of an unwise or unlucky player putting his ship at risk

And of course we still have ganking. But it's an insidious, artificial form that means an average player can be ganked by quantify players even tho sailing within a stone's throw of an overwhelming number of friends. Yes, players could sail around in a tight bunch of friends with their speed limited to that of the slowest ship - but why should that be necessary in home waters with all those friends around?

In any RW conflict, quantity (if available) is the counter to quality - this is what the 1.5 rule has largely taken away

Edited by mouse of war
  • Like 3

In the short time after that patch i had more good fights than in the whole time before. I don't believe this is a coincidence. Some ppl that are against the mechanic argue hat numbers have to matter others argue that it doesn't prevent ganks. So basically its the same situation as before the patch from your point of view, why should the mechanic be removed if nothing has changed? OS-discipline is now important, if you stay together and tag defensely everything is fine.

In the short time after that patch i had more good fights than in the whole time before. I don't believe this is a coincidence. Some ppl that are against the mechanic argue hat numbers have to matter others argue that it doesn't prevent ganks. So basically its the same situation as before the patch from your point of view, why should the mechanic be removed if nothing has changed? OS-discipline is now important, if you stay together and tag defensely everything is fine.

Soldiers vs Gladiators my friend. Two different philosophical approaches to pvp.

A soldier wants to fight a WAR. That means that if his platoons task is to control a hill side or pass it means from ALL enemies. So if a lone enemy wanders into the pass the whole platoon does their job and kills him. They don't consider it a gank. It's war. If the soldiers job is to protect the homeland, trainees or civilians then jump into all those fights to protect is his job. He doesn't let them die just because the enemy only brought 1 man. The psycological affront the 1.5 BR rule is to soldier pvp players is high.

A Gladiator is only out there looking for great 1v1 fights and is what he considers the most fun. He doesn't really care about any war. He only cares about individual fights and the quality of those fights. For him to do what he does best and likes most requires a "fair" starting point for all the battles he fights. He tries to be the best 1v1 fighter he can be. Even if it means his team, if he does even consider himself part of a team, loses some silly war which to him it's not as important as the individual fights. He will consider anyone who kills him 1v10 as unskilled cowardly gankers. Even if he was that lone fighter who wandered into the mountain pass the soldiers were guarding. Even if he is that lone fighter attacking trainees and civilians off the homeland that the platoon over runs. He will always consider the large force as "gankers".

Basically, anytime you put the two different mantras of pvp into the same sand box your going to have the problems. The gladiators want the sand box to resemble an arena and the soldiers want it to resemble a war zone.

• Like 9

Soldiers vs Gladiators my friend. Two different philosophical approaches to pvp.

A soldier wants to fight a WAR. That means that if his platoons task is to control a hill side or pass it means from ALL enemies. So if a lone enemy wanders into the pass the whole platoon does their job and kills him. They don't consider it a gank. It's war. If the soldiers job is to protect the homeland, trainees or civilians then jump into all those fights to protect is his job. He doesn't let them die just because the enemy only brought 1 man. The psycological affront the 1.5 BR rule is to soldier pvp players is high.

A Gladiator is only out there looking for great 1v1 fights and is what he considers the most fun. He doesn't really care about any war. He only cares about individual fights and the quality of those fights. For him to do what he does best and likes most requires a "fair" starting point for all the battles he fights. He tries to be the best 1v1 fighter he can be. Even if it means his team, if he does even consider himself part of a team, loses some silly war which to him it's not as important as the individual fights. He will consider anyone who kills him 1v10 as unskilled cowardly gankers. Even if he was that lone fighter who wandered into the mountain pass the soldiers were guarding. Even if he is that lone fighter attacking trainees and civilians off the homeland that the platoon over runs. He will always consider the large force as "gankers".

Basically, anytime you put the two different mantras of pvp into the same sand box your going to have the problems. The gladiators want the sand box to resemble an arena and the soldiers want it to resemble a war zone.

I can see this as being accurate.  I myself would fall into the soldier category.  Interesting take.

A very interesting thread. PvP I was under the opinion it was to mean Person vs. Person. RvR in the PvP world seems to mean “Pack of Dogs” vs. “Pack of Dogs”. The 1.5 rule has gotten those who only play a hunter/killer pack of wolfs pretty upset due to being unable to attack as a whole pack. There are some of them here that state 1v5 or 1v25 is no difference. Then why do you need your entire pack to beat up a the “1”? So what if only 4 or 5 make it in?

I want to play with my clan not sit outside of locked battle for an hour. If our group could run into an enemy group of equal size frequently then this wouldn't be a problem but sadly this has turned into a open world matchmaker and we must all wait our turn.

Edit: OK maybe I'm a little angry in the response but I've always enjoyed the thought of clans projecting their power in large groups. The br limit kinda ruins that fun for me and it does kill the momentum and enjoyment of some groups.

Just a few days ago 2 of our players logged for the night after failing to get into the circle. It was late at night but the point is they did not get to play before quitting the game. This kind of stuff has an impact on the gameplay if you can't even play at all.

There have been some better suggestions that would be easy to try.

Probably the worst thing to come out of this new system is how it can be used to split groups on the open sea. Even if they are sailing pretty tight, it's possible to split them. Taggers and people who get tagged have to be really on the ball and know what to do, or they can screw their team (also lots of room for abuse by alts that can intentionally "sail poorly" and help split the target group).

One of the best ways to sum up the entire debate that I have seen!

Adapt, improvise, and overcome.  Prepare for as many possible encounters as possible, even if it means you have to compromise a beloved stat or mod to get the right combat:survival balance.