Game-Labs Forum

Top 10 Age of Sail boardgames...

Wilson09

+1 for sail of glory, excellent game, with the optional rules and max level of complexity (non modded) it is somehow fairly accurate, with proper tactics of age of sail working very well, and most of the ships parameters are to be managed (crew, leaks, fire, dismasting, repair, ammunition type etc... )

The best part is both players play simultaneously, with marker of order and movement hidden, then revealing all together.

In max level of complexity you have to order a broadside to fire before the mouvement phase, so after everyone made the move you might fire into water. It requires a very good level of planification and tactical reflexion to do things right.

Half the fun for me is doing the conversions of Sails of Glory ships. I'm currently doing the Essex. I was playing complex historical board games when I was younger because pac-man and Donkey Kong did nothing for me and I've gotten back into it the last few years.

Here is the Constitution, Defence, Aquilon and Unite conversions I did, cutting away the excess sail and mast pieces, giving it a canvas wash, while adding rigging and motion bases. A couple of cotton balls and paint makes better cannon fire too. I didn't buy the SoG mat, I just grabbed a green one rolled up in a tube at a hobby store and spray painted it blue with flecks of white here and there, you don't need any directional references on the mat with the way the SoG rules work, just the compass that comes with it and the the range ruler. 

LQPjyq.jpg

OWtIwR.jpg

tXIJFg.jpg

y7Qxtr.jpg

2-3 hours per ship, or you can buy them from here  http://modeljship.com/es/25-sail-of-glory-ships-11000 starting at 150 Euros haha. They look better than homemade, but I'd never pay that when it's relaxing and enjoyable to do them yourself anyway.

• Like 3