Game-Labs Forum

What video games have you played recently and what are your thoughts on them?

LTao

Hehe thats right Cjflint!

Regarding DayZ, I wouldn't buy the old dayz, get the standalone instead, sure it is early alpha, but it's worth the money.

I bought it myself yesterday and been having a blast! There are some bugs here and there, but the game is playable, very playable for an early alpha.

Don't mind all the warnings about bugs whatsoever, it ain't THAT buggy.

Another thing, if you buy the game now, you'll have access to future updates for free, not having to pay an higher price later.

DayZ mod is the old DayZ, standalone is the thing!

Hehe thats right Cjflint!

Regarding DayZ, I wouldn't buy the old dayz, get the standalone instead, sure it is early alpha, but it's worth the money.

I bought it myself yesterday and been having a blast! There are some bugs here and there, but the game is playable, very playable for an early alpha.

Don't mind all the warnings about bugs whatsoever, it ain't THAT buggy.

Another thing, if you buy the game now, you'll have access to future updates for free, not having to pay an higher price later.

DayZ mod is the old DayZ, standalone is the thing!

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting it off of steam. I have a funny feeling I will get hooked lol. I love post apoc genre and always liked the arma and ofp engines. I can see it being crazy fun. Zombies.....well never got in to the whole zombie craze, I think I'll like Day Z though. 

I played Iron Front multi player, and found it shockingly fun. To me was up there with mount and blade crazy fun pvp maybe even better. Same engine as Day Z, just WW2 eastern front. 

Awwww.......screw it! DayZ Im down loading it today. If you see "SAPPERKING"...that's me please don't shot me right away. :) I have a feeling this will be a blast.

You did a good decision by getting the DayZ SA :D

Now follow this guide so you can get some decent fps! The game ran in a pretty laggy fashion in my GTX 650, I7 920 1920x1080 main monitor, 1600x900 secondary monitor. I game on the main one only.

The steps are simple and the experience will be much better, the only problem is that the trees might look a little ugly, blame the unoptimized engine!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216291078#213817

My steam id is is my forum handle, Oneironz. If you would like to play with another noob just hit me up!

One last thing, there aren't that many zombies in Chernarus, just keep an axe with you to be safe  ;)

Have fun!

You did a good decision by getting the DayZ SA :D

Now follow this guide so you can get some decent fps! The game ran in a pretty laggy fashion in my GTX 650, I7 920 1920x1080 main monitor, 1600x900 secondary monitor. I game on the main one only.

The steps are simple and the experience will be much better, the only problem is that the trees might look a little ugly, blame the unoptimized engine!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=216291078#213817

My steam id is is my forum handle, Oneironz. If you would like to play with another noob just hit me up!

One last thing, there aren't that many zombies in Chernarus, just keep an axe with you to be safe  ;)

Have fun!

Cool I will. I started last night. I was using a call sign "PIG" tonight Im going to switch to CJFlint for my call sign so people who know me, will see me. Keep an eye out. The CHR management screen still seems about crude, so I have to change my steam name.

My set up I just have my gaming pc hdmi ed directly to my TV. I ran 1920x1080, and just ran with the default settings. It seemed to run pretty decent. But I'll look into the your tips.  

I found it easier to pick up then I expected. I think if people played arma 2 it maybe much easier for them to pick up. It took a little bit to figure out the whole eating and drinking thing. I played for 6 hours total. 1st time I lasted 3 hours then was knocked out by a zombie, I should have left him alone lol Then I managed to re-spawn play for a few hours and collect some stuff. I only saw 4 other players, one of them tried to shot me. I'm going to the air strip tonight to try to get some guns he he

Ya know In Day Z I think its kind of similar to old school potbs were there is "Seal Clubing", but its more toward new spawns or fresh spawns. I ran across someone who just spawned like me who was captured by bandits. He was saying they cuffed him, cursed at him and drained his blood.......I was like, "Really???", I guess you can do that in day z. Reminded me of the traumatized potbs low level noobs that would get clubbed back in the day.

I wouldn't worry about in-game names, as nobody can see them, only by opening the playerlist, but that does not show their position.

You're lucky if only one player tried to kill you, I got pursued and killed, got surprised by another guy, while I was eating some canned spaghetti, being crouched and sitting on the corner, why would he kill me?

You must own a nice rig, to run DayZ decently at default settings at 1920x1080.

You should follow the fps guide anyway, it will only give you a smoother experience with higher graphical settings!

Also, try to disable mouse smoothing and put the X and Y bars at the same position, it makes the mouse more bearable.

I too felt that sealclubbing at first, but once you learn to keep your head down, run through forests and own a gun, you're pretty much safe. Or so that's what happened to me.

World of Tanks - Still my best fix for a nice 20-30 minute gaming session.  Put a lot of money into this game and don't regret it.  It's provided me plenty of entertainment.

Crusader Kings 2 - Game seems like it should be boring, but the stories my brain comes up with filling in the gaps and explaining events makes it great fun.  I could sit and play this one for hours on end.

Civ IV - Glad I still have this one after the travesty that was Civ V.  It was like they took everything I loved about IV, threw it on the floor, stomped on it, kicked it about a bit, then laughed at it.  I'm just glad that Civ IV took me back after my unfortunate fling with it's younger (And apparently adopted) sister.

Alea iacta est/Civil War II - Wargames of choice.  Love the AGEOD system, it's much like CK2 in the stories I can construct in my head while playing these.  And I love both of these periods in history.

War Thunder - Enjoy the planes a bit, though I am not and never will be, much of a fighter pilot, I can fly the bombers decently though.  I'm intrigued by the groundforces gameplay.  It might scratch my itch for a more realistic tank sim without spending over $100 on Steel Beasts Pro.

I too felt that sealclubbing at first, but once you learn to keep your head down, run through forests and own a gun, you're pretty much safe. Or so that's what happened to me.

Yes this is true. DayZ to me is vary much like all the other games made with that engine Arma, OFP and Iron Front. Its a really nice engine for realism, in fact military units around the world use that engine for a training sim.

I was just playing iron front before dayz it is vary similar in the game mechanics. But DayZ I think is more challenging, because you have to eat, drink and you start off with nothing at all. Last night when I played I had really bad luck lol. They just patched it and they reset every thing:( Lost all my crap I found. Then it kept spawning a me at night, and my game kept freezing up when I tried to switch servers. So I decided to play something else. But its alpha so their will be issues. I think they should add hunting and real life survival stuff while in the forests. So if players feel dont feel like having to loot citys to survive they can go to the forests. Now that would be neat, they sound like they may lean that way too. I guess players can collect berrys now lol

War Thunder I saw and looks cool. I may try that one down the road, same with Civ.

But.......I still have an Age of Sail Bug. I'm pretty sure NA is going to be really cool when its complete. I think if it ends up having an open world, crafting, exploration, combat, ect ect. I play it as my primary game. This is just me, and its early.

Arma II engine is used for training sims? That's pretty awesome, the game has a proximity voice system, hand gestures and realistic weapon handling, those features are only found on this engine.

The character reset really sucks, I had a mosin nagant, a hand gun and quite a lot of ammo... Not to mention the cool face mask...

Because of it I respawned along the coast, two towns away from electrovsk. Had to run it twice, since I died from bleeding at the first trial. The second time I got to electro, I had the scare of my DayZ life. I had dropped the lantern and I couldn't find it! (It is a very dark night).

Then I managed to find a shotgun, some ammo and the best of it all, a head lantern!

Yes, the new patch has been rolled in, it added a shotgun, I found one in elektro, those sacks that hold seeds can now be placed on your head, tried that too. I'm not sure about the berries, I haven't searched for them yet. Many new drinks were also added.

Eventually hunting will be implimented, when the crafting system is a little bit better and the server optimized to handle a lot more zombies and animals.

The latest patch brought many server optimizations, as I can see more zombies around, they arent as buggy as before too and the game ran a little smoother overall.

The features that I'm waiting for are the ability to barricade a house and keep my stuff inside. The other feature is the vehicles, running everywhere on foot can be a little tiring :P

Enough of this ranting!

Arma II engine is used for training sims? That's pretty awesome, the game has a proximity voice system, hand gestures and realistic weapon handling, those features are only found on this engine.

The character reset really sucks, I had a mosin nagant, a hand gun and quite a lot of ammo... Not to mention the cool face mask...

Because of it I respawned along the coast, two towns away from electrovsk. Had to run it twice, since I died from bleeding at the first trial. The second time I got to electro, I had the scare of my DayZ life. I had dropped the lantern and I couldn't find it! (It is a very dark night).

Then I managed to find a shotgun, some ammo and the best of it all, a head lantern!

Yes, the new patch has been rolled in, it added a shotgun, I found one in elektro, those sacks that hold seeds can now be placed on your head, tried that too. I'm not sure about the berries, I haven't searched for them yet. Many new drinks were also added.

Eventually hunting will be implimented, when the crafting system is a little bit better and the server optimized to handle a lot more zombies and animals.

The latest patch brought many server optimizations, as I can see more zombies around, they arent as buggy as before too and the game ran a little smoother overall.

The features that I'm waiting for are the ability to barricade a house and keep my stuff inside. The other feature is the vehicles, running everywhere on foot can be a little tiring :P

Enough of this ranting!

Arma 2 is really pretty stable, I heard DayZ mod is too. Stanalone kind of sucks for me sometime because I get DCed allot. CHR reset is a pain too. Its alpha though. I'm good at arma 2 and iron front....DayZ I'm still a Nooblet, mainly because I don't know my way around the map yet. I have starved, died of thirst and been killed by zoombies LOL. But I'm getting better he he. I found the map!

I hate that too at night I have been losing my flashlight too :( The last couple of nights the servers are hived and most are night time...some days. With out a light you cant loot.....QQ QQ 

I know in Arma and Dayz (MOD) you can build bases and store, that is a cool feature. I would like to see more hunting living off the land ect ect So I don't have to run strait to the new spawn killing fields just to get enough stuff (if Im lucky) to find weapons. But looking at the map. I think taking a detour is better....maybe.

Yes Arma and OFP have been used by some military units to train in tactics. Its about as close to combat as you can get on a cpu. But, the reality is being an infantry men, you have to be in tip top shape. Be able to take on serous hardships. So its still missing allot. Also its a bit watered down on weapons realism. You cant just pick up a rifle and start using it with out setting the sights(BZO). ect ect ect. Tactics though are spot on. 

Google DayZ TV....its ASOME! They got really good maps, info, and live streams of pvp action lol. Really cool! http://www.dayztv.com/live/ Check it out if you haven't already its vary helpful

I think when Naval Action gets all set up, they should get something like that set up. Live feeds, info and maps. New players can learn by watching the vets pvp. ...Live

Up until now how thought the most smack talking, worst ganking, worst QQing and hard core pvpers were on POTBS. I'm going to have to say DayZ does now LOL They crap talking is the most funny and epic I have seen in a long time!

• Like 1

Ahahahah yeah, the random stuff that other people say! :P

Today I got handcuffed in berezino, 2 dudes with black troop hat handcuffed me, put a blue officer hat on my head and let a zombie eat me away, for them to kill it before it was too late. Then they started putting my blood in bloodbags!!!

All this and they still had to say something weird xD I think they had some sort of software to change their voices, they were too monotonous and very deep.

About the character resets, I think you can do something about it. Be careful of the hives, choose public.

- Let the server list load, don't rush;

- Connect to a server, DO NOT touch your mouse or keyboard, if the game loads your custom character, play normally. If you spawn on the coast, DO NOT touch any other key besides the ESC. Don't move the mouse either. Leave the server and join another.

-If this keeps happening in every server you can try, your character has probably been wiped officially.

That's it.

The DayZ TV sounds interesting, I'll check it out!

What's your steam ID, so we can play together! :)

Ahahahah yeah, the random stuff that other people say! :P

Today I got handcuffed in berezino, 2 dudes with black troop hat handcuffed me, put a blue officer hat on my head and let a zombie eat me away, for them to kill it before it was too late. Then they started putting my blood in bloodbags!!!

All this and they still had to say something weird xD I think they had some sort of software to change their voices, they were too monotonous and very deep.

About the character resets, I think you can do something about it. Be careful of the hives, choose public.

- Let the server list load, don't rush;

- Connect to a server, DO NOT touch your mouse or keyboard, if the game loads your custom character, play normally. If you spawn on the coast, DO NOT touch any other key besides the ESC. Don't move the mouse either. Leave the server and join another.

-If this keeps happening in every server you can try, your character has probably been wiped officially.

That's it.

The DayZ TV sounds interesting, I'll check it out!

What's your steam ID, so we can play together! :)

I had something like that happen to me. I got set up over the weekend. A player came up to me and said he was friendly, and we started trading items back and forth. He had stuff I needed and vs versa. Then shortly after I was ambushed unarmed. The did not kidnap, pretty much I was shot on the spot. I'm pretty sure that other player was being followed or it was a set up. But I was fairly freshly spawned. But yeah there are some real nasty players in DayZ and used to think that about potbs.

After doing some research I think I'm getting the gist of how things work in the world of day z. For starters I have learned to trust no one while in world..period. If I see someone and they dont say anything, I either attack them if I can or more often get far away from them in a hurry. Unless I know them. Also I'm learning that you pretty much have to take every precaution to survive, and take advantage of every single exploit. I have learned to  always hide using cover, and when Im out in the open to run really fast and zig zag to make it hard for them to aim in on me. Also at 1st I try to run to the places I can get the most loot, and grab enough stuff to make it to one of the airstrips. If I end up starving or get attacked by zombies early on before I get anything, I pretty much try to die quickly so I can re-spawn. In order to do this I use the DayZ TV map and plan every move. Last night was my best night so far, for the 1st time ever for me.....I became armed. I made it to the airstrip and scored 2 pistols and filled my back pack to the brim he he. So that DayZ tv map has been really helpful for me since I found it.

My steam ID is CJFlint

Eheh yeah, players can be really nasty indeed!

I found Chernarus Map and that allows me to travel to anywhere I want, although  a compass would still do wonders, as I could cross directly to my destination instead of following the roads.

I took a break from DayZ, I met with a guy on steam and we met in-game, we played for some hours, got some nice guns and ammo, a hunter backpack and lots of food. It was a great time, until I was standing near him when he shot me. Apparently he alt tabbed back into the game and the gun auto shot. 

Even mistakes are deadly to the players :P

I have added you :)

Ok, let's my game of choice to this list: Transcendence (review)

An indie, free-download, top-down 2D rogue-like space adventure with enourmous moddability options, a very large selection of mods and an active and supportive community. It has been in development for the past 10 years and is not finished yet. But, don't dispair; there is more than enough content to drown you.

Your goal: reach the galactic core survive.

Brigand

• Like 1

A couple of months now i play/testing IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrand its early access WW2 flight simulator, but most of  you should know this game already if you are familiar with RoF. i think it worth to mention it for the rest who dont know it. So far is going very well for an early access game, and i think it will be a masterpiece like RoF.

• 2 weeks later...

See a few names from POTBS I remember, hello all.

Since departing POTBS (played with ISY on Roberts mainly) played a lot of Dayz Mod all versions, also Rome 2TW,SWTOR, WOT, WT, Arma 2 OA (wasteland and Coop). Currently playing Arma 3 (Altis Life) and Dayz SA. In a clan called Armoured Assasins with Tikky, Brog, Batman, Compass, Jason, iceman etc and a few more potbs players and others. Looking forward to naval action.

For those Dayz interested players check out the forthcoming free mod for Arma 3, it looks awesome real post apoc Mad Max style survival horror game called 2017, link below to dev blogs. One of these mutants appearing as you loot a derelict building in pitch black will certainly give me some of those Dayz type scares again LOL. They may even put in a mutant that drops on your back when u walk under a tree or building.  

http://2017mod.com/forums/

Hopefully some great games coming in near future.

I'll have to check out that 2017. Lately I have been diving back in the ARMA engine based games. I'm yet to check out any of the "Life mods" yet, I heard those are Role Play, and even have in game currency. What is the Armoured Assasins into? I'm currently in becks privateers, but wouldn't mind checking out some of the other clans. The one I belong to now is really a little too big for DayZ SA current buggy state on high pop servers. I honestly think its better to be in smaller groups these days. Also I noticed Rome 2 came out with a new unit patch recently.

Me Too Naval Action is one game I am really still vary optimistic about. I'm pretty sure its going to be what many of us Age of Sail gamer's have been waiting for a long while. Currently there really isn't a decent period age of sail game out at all other then AC.

If anyone of you guys have been playing DayZ SA, use team speak or have your own channel, find me on steam my ID is: CJFlint in game: [bP]CJFlint. I love looting, collecting items, surviving and pvp. Feel free to hit me up. I don't mind just running around collecting items with random encounters, or if your interested in bigger pvp scale on loaded servers I belong to clan for that, although dayz sa is rather buggy on high pop servers as of late.

Onrionz my CHR got wiped the other day, the game crashed and I lost everything, so I know how you feel. I gotta run around recollecting soon lol. Thats the worst when that happens.

DayZ is kinda unstable in larger "loaded" servers, so sometimes there game crashes and character wipes, something to be mindful of..There has been allot of server memory leaks, that are causing problems.

• Like 2

It's al right CJFlint :P

I have learned what to do and what not to do in DayZ, my current character has been alive for a week already, travelled from Berezino to NEAF, took a stroll around Novy Sobor and the circling cities.

Right now I'm at the coast again, in Elektro, to help bambis survive. Already had some good experiences :P including running for my life from a jealous noob that wanted my mosin, the guy knew how to zigzag so I couldn't shoot him with a Magnum xD dropped some food and water onto the ground and the pursuer stopped to take the food, like dogs around a slab of meat!

One thing that I don't understand is the fact that it is so hard to make other people excited about DayZ, despite it being so fun. I guess a person has to try the game out to see how awesome DayZ is...

See you around!

Playing Banished. It's a very good game and the city building genre has been quite dry. While not as feature rich as other games, Banished makes a fine game on its own with a strong core game and fairly addictive gameplay.

Played Path of Exile. I was a great fan of Titan Quest, so Path of Exile was the logical extension. Path of Exile is difficult to get into, due to lag and difficult-to-manage interface and the overwhelming passive tree. Once in, it's quite a fun ARPG and makes use of the classic ARPG elements while also bringing a fresh multiplayer element.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

lately I've been playing several games, some of them look promising and others are little more than a waste of the money spent, as could be the case Archeage, which buys a Silver founder's pack i which initially guaranteed access all beta test + "certain events" which remained at the end of that, only about 3-4 days a month .... it is incredible to believe that companies alleged reputation like that make use of misleading advertising to make money.

also buy Gloria Victis early access to a game set in the Middle Ages, pure PvP, without skills, spells, and magic extrañas.tan only the abilities to create your own weapons, armor, food etc. and a good graphic quality, even though is in a very early process seems to be a very good game.

another good game I'm playing in alpha phase is Star citizen, a space simulator that will be constituted by a virtual universe consists of about 1000 planetary systems, in which you can explore each of the planets, build bases, space stations, mining etc. , are graphically very good, the best I've seen so far, i possibilities will offer you will be practically endless, from the space mining, through piracy, infantry, freelancing, housing i anything you can think of in a videogame.

i of course, one of the more expectation has awakened in me has been Naval Action, I have the tremendous fortune to test it, and that has given me the opportunity to see how great the project is, i if the quality of the rest of the game is equal to the physical, graphics etc in battle, will stay more than satisfied, plus the fact that this here is a good community of players, that's something i can not create virtually :)

• Like 1

Elite Dangerous Beta....Love it and its gonna be AWSOME on release.

Napoleon TW  sea battles only cos im rubbish on land!

Ship sim extreme has its faults, looks nasty but it has a good (best) real sailing model.

WoT  only casual player as my E100 is nerfed to death.

War Thunder   got back into it for the tanks.

War Of The Vikings.....I have a love hate thing going with this! ;) If the devs would just stop the cheaters!

Just finished the 2nd Beta for Arche Age and enjoyed it. Did not get to the sailing part of it though which I am interested in. Dropped back into PotBS the other day and did some fleeting in SC with some folks still the same game but with less people. Play World of Tanks from time to time with my main line of tanks being Russian, I mainly use a KV-1 and an IS.