Game-Labs Forum

Sid Meiers: Gettysburg remake?

Sannoz

Love the looks of this game, been waiting for a new game that looks and feels like Sid Meiers: Gettysburg from 1997.
Isn´t it a plain remake of that game with just better graphics?
Looks like it when i watched videos!

It certainly feels "inspired by." Sid Meiers Gettysburg is what I thought of when I first saw the game and while the visual style is similar this game is rather deeper. And of course the AI is worlds better. 

From a marketing perspective the UGG team would be wise to acknowledge and accept the complement that UGG is "inspired by" SMG.

Many loved that game.

General marketing principal - it is unwise in marketing to distance yourself from something that has brand cache.

David there is really no "distance" attempt.
In my first blog about Ultimate General: Gettysburg: http://www.ultimategeneral.com/blog/from-darthmod-to-game-design I have clearly stated that there was inspiration from this great game which I played in my childhood for many many hours and I consider it one of the best strategy games ever made, considering the game development era it was created.

However, you should agree that UGG is quite unique in its own right.

• Like 2

Nick,

I agree with you. I'm just suggesting you get your team on a consistent response regarding SMG.

Something like you've posted above vs. "Hello Sannoz. It is not a remake. It plays differently."

While you may not be attempting to "distance" it certainly could be interpreted that way.

Nick,

I agree with you. I'm just suggesting you get your team on a consistent response regarding SMG.

Something like you've posted above vs. "Hello Sannoz. It is not a remake. It plays differently."

While you may not be attempting to "distance" it certainly could be interpreted that way.

I ve never played to Sid meiers version, is it similar in anyway except the "title" ? 

edit, i find that :

Both are RTS Gettysburg games.

It's an old title that has many devoted followers.  

It's been years since I played SMG.

My recollection is that it had many aspects that were different.

Some of the ideas are similar.

Mixed bag I'd say; but for its time it was fine.

For strategy Sid Meier's genre of games are more strategic. More things going on. Different things to watch for. Boost of morale when regiments are attached to their Brigade, When Commanders of the Brigade are standing near by, When Division, Corps and Army Leaders also standing nearby. Standing in Rocks or Woods. When Other regiments and batteries are standing either behind or on the side. The map could move, rotate zoom in and out. You could disable trees. Oblique for gods sake. Artillery can auto target Infantry or Artillery allowing you to generally focus your guns quickly. Generals could be wounded. Units could hold fire, Volley or fire at will. Brigades could change formation.

It doesn't mean that UG:G is not strategic. This game still takes a tactical mind to evaluate the battle and initiate a battle plan. The improvement in maneuver. Ability to group units together. Timing of attacks is superior than anything you could do in SMG. Graphics are much crisper and clear than SMG.

People will always be judging the new against the old. We also must remember that this game is basically in its infancy. I have full faith that over time after the bugs are worked out and that further installments of UG:G will not just rival SMG but surpass it. Perhaps allowing us to create our own mods we can develop the game further than what Darth has time to do on his own. Just how Darth turned Medieval Total War II into the BEST Total War game ever.

As much strategy as SMG had there was equally as much gaming that went on.  The goal in MP was to surround and capture as many enemy regiments as possible.  How to accomplish that?  Putting your troops in column and double quicking through your enemy until you encircle it.  In SMG units could only fire at one enemy (and you could see who they were firing at).  So you'd throw out a small regiment to attract the fire then send your other regiments in column at the double quick to run around the enemy in a circle (or sometimes right between their lines). 

The other "fun" thing was to retreat your artillery to move it across the map at lightning speed.  It wasn't really a cheat but it was gamey and terribly unrealistic.  Also there were only so many variants so once you played long enough you knew each scenario, what troops the enemy had and where, and what VPs you needed to double quick to right away.  Trying to fight a historical tactic Civil War battle in MP was impossible, unless you wanted to lose of course ;)

This game already has a lot more "realism" in many aspects, or rather less gamey tactics that can be achieved and most of it is based on not being able to change your formation manually.  I'm going to guess that is on purpose to prevent MP turning into a "flagging fest".  Still a lot of work to do here with UGG but we're all on board to help make it better and better!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, Sid Meier's Gettysburg and UGG may both owe initial inspiration to that half-century old book on the Civil War (from American Heritage, IIRC) with double page cyclo-diorama-like "paintings" depicting the phases of major battles including terrain and representative forces of tiny blue and grey figures.

UGG is a big step forward. If it works out as well as it appears, I doubt Sid would see a reason to revisit the Civil War. I suspect Pirates only got a remake because no one else stepped up with something up to snuff.  

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

In my opinion, having played both games extensively, it's certainly a much improved spiritual successor to Sid Meier's Gettysburg. Having been developed in 1997 SMG is a highly impressive game. Considering the age we live in now, I'm just as impressed by Ultimate General for it's time, which is saying something considering that there's far more high quality strategy games to choose from at this point. Brilliant work, I just wish it was a bit more mod friendly, but I can understand why it isn't. Love these games, and have nothing but admiration for the devs who've put their sweat and time into making it. Cheers, guys.