Game-Labs Forum
Babble

The Road Map (Table of contents)

It seems to me...

WHAT MAKES GAMES SUCCESSFUL? FACTORS THAT GUARANTEE THE SUCCESS OF NAVAL ACTION GAME.
1. Surprise! Constantly keep the player trapped in the game. Create a story that advances in time, and if does not have, copy the history itself, events and battles and reproduce. Do you have this in Naval Action?...
2. I will do it before you. Competition Human by nature, especially the player, likes to stand out, always be at the top of the podium (but watch the competitions of the Olympic Games), so games can take a lot of this by focusing on the game at levels that Allow us to overcome ourselves, or the friends your clan we have.
Do you have this in Naval Action?...

3. Each story is unique. Those games that allow multiple combinations of the game and that challenge the player to make decisions or define what course the game will have, as it progresses in it, are those that in trend make a relative difference. Example of them we have games like Resident Evil did anyone find Nemesis? Another example of games are those where you have to create your own civilizations or build your own world, develop farms or mines. The combinations are hundreds. You must define a plot, choose an avatar and create a game profile.
Even though we just talked about how great gameplay trumps a great story, it's important to point out that the story still plays a key role in a game's success. A great story to keep the player immersed in the world (Historical) you've created. They should feel attached to the characters and want to continue playing to see how the story unfolds.

Story, history, and gameplay are 3 vital for having a great game like Naval Action. While game playable is important and in many cases can drive a game without much of a story, it does not always save a game. This is true if the game is a single player-only experience like the Batman Arkham series. For games like that, the story is more important than games that have multiple types of gameplay, like multiplayer. For Naval Action Story and History should be joined.
And finally...
4. Great Art Style
Graphics are extremely important for any video game; it’s what the player sees. Everything from the environments, the characters and even the lighting all play a role in the look and feel of the game. As hardware advances so do the graphics being presented to the player and more and more games are gravitating toward a hyper-realistic experience to help immerse the player. Naval action has a very good ships, and some good effects, but lacking animations, crews, characters, boardings and many more things.

Conclusion.
 Game playability, story, and history, are 3 of the most important aspects of a successful game like NA; once you have the story established it can help you create an art style that will fit the world. Lot of work remain for Naval Action Devs. Please do it...
I Like currently and the future of this game, Thanks anyway.!!!

Increasing OW speed is a good idea. It will act like 'fast forward' without breaking anything in the process (as everyone's speed will be increased). The current increase is quite noticeable on longer journeys and a good change. It will create problems if too accelerated, but the current values suggested seem good.

Trade currents are good for various reasons. This offers the player more choice. He can use the trade current at the benefit of speed, but at the risk of being targeted

due to its use by other vessels. Or he can choose to stay away from the current, which may be safer, but slower. Also relatively easy to implement development wise.

I like the proposed additions to diplomacy. Something I noticed: Currently an alliance is turned directly into a state of war. Should there not be a 'cool down' from alliance to neutral, then to war?  Alternatively all nations should be in a 'neutral' state and then pushed to either states of war or alliance via voting. This will create a smoother transition between states. To prevent the problem where nations are all neutral, one could either allow attacks in both neutral and war states, or perhaps provide more voting options so the player can vote for a small shift or a drastic shift depending on what is happening in the game.

I'm not sure if this is covered already, but in my opinion there should be more functionality for the 'day to day' operations of sailing. Currently if the player numbers are low for whatever reason, there is a not a lot to occupy the player. Some 'single player' elements could be introduced to keep it interesting. I can think of many examples and name a few:

• Management of crew skill and morale (e.g. food, supplies, activities etc). Training of crew (e.g. gunnery practice). This can be done as an 'activity' in open water, which can be seen only by the player, like fishing is currently implemented, with the upside that it gives something to do during longer journeys. Or it can be implemented as a type of mission. When the player initiates it, a battle instance is created, which can even be entered by other players. This will provide more missionstypes and goals, but not something to do during open water sailing. Gunnery practice can provide a temporary buff for combat, or lead to a permanent levelling of crew skills.
  • More interaction with buildings, ports and outposts. Appointing and managing labourers, wages and bonuses, which will affect available labour hours. Taverns for hiring crew or other activities? Exploration possibilities? More reasons to visit different ports. 

I love the game, appreciate what you've achieved so far and think the end product is going to be great.

Edit: I forgot to mention. Crew skill can be 'abstracted' into numbers before a battle. Crew loss during battle can still work the same. At the end of battle if crew was lost, one can determine which crew (good or bad ones) the captain loses. Perhaps a percentage chance to lose specific crew? One can make it that trained crew are never lost, or have lives like officers (once determined that a crew member was in fact lost).

Edited by John Austen