Game-Labs Forum

A Lesson From PotBS

I've seen a few people on these forums from the game, and I know that you (the producers of this game) are aware of PotBS. My suggestion to you is to learn a very simple lesson that PotBS did not: LISTEN TO YOUR HARDCORE PVP/RVR PLAYERS. PvE players only stick around for so long, but the hard core PvP and RvR players will be around for years to come. When making a decision that will please one group but not the other, and I say this based on my experience with other MMOs, you will be best off by choosing to please the hard core players. FLS did not do this with PotBS, and that is the single biggest reason the game is on the verge of death. Thank you, that is all :)

• Like 2

True. That is the purpose of the forum. 

We will always listen to you and try to explain the rationale for our decisions. 

Nevertheless there are two things we want our players to understand and accept:

1) Producers, designers and developers are also very hardcore players and spent huge amounts of time in Age of sail games and PvP oriented games. 

2) Product purpose is to allow maximum satisfaction for players like us. Not everyone will be happy with some features and it is ok. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've seen a few people on these forums from the game, and I know that you (the producers of this game) are aware of PotBS. My suggestion to you is to learn a very simple lesson that PotBS did not: LISTEN TO YOUR HARDCORE PVP/RVR PLAYERS. PvE players only stick around for so long, but the hard core PvP and RvR players will be around for years to come. When making a decision that will please one group but not the other, and I say this based on my experience with other MMOs, you will be best off by choosing to please the hard core players. FLS did not do this with PotBS, and that is the single biggest reason the game is on the verge of death. Thank you, that is all :)

Are we talking of the same game? I have been playing pirates of the burning sea since 2008 and I rarely pvp. Do you not remember the whole "no crying in the red" fiasco? The lesson that fls didn't learn was that people play pirates and age of sail games because they like them. When people who wanted to play these types of games suddenly lost their ships and stuff, they rage quit by the hundreds and servers were closed.

The thing I hope this game keeps in mind is that there are two kind of players... The very vocal and usually relatively small in number (hence all the requests for 1v1, 2v2, etc in the different chats) pvp players and then there are the other players who lurk (reading chat, but seldom commenting) and are perfectly content playing missions and such in a pirate game. Flying Lab made the mistake of listening to a very small, but extremely vocal community and we all witnessed those results. Pvp players want to fight anyone, anywhere, at anytime... Period. However, those who do not like to pvp will play the game on their terms or they will find something else to do... Either in game or someplace else.

I wish you all the luck in this balancing act and I look forward to playing the game.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Correct me if I am mistaken but from the above commentary I see there will be PvE players who likely will concentrate on playing versus AI Game generated scenarios? and then the PvP players who will want player vs player scenarios? I figure I probably will play both styles - the PvP side being the real challenge I am sure.

Here the Developers might attempt two PvP options: 1) a loose skill matching system so opposing sides are relatively balanced and 2) a wide open system where its 'luck of the draw' (as in historical life where some naval engagements were very one sided for a variety of reasons) [i'd like to see how the true PvPers would like this!].

I've seen a few people on these forums from the game, and I know that you (the producers of this game) are aware of PotBS. My suggestion to you is to learn a very simple lesson that PotBS did not: LISTEN TO YOUR HARDCORE PVP/RVR PLAYERS. ll :)

Cause removing 1st rates worked out really well didn't it.

PvPers are just as capable of ruining the game. Insurance and catastrophic inflation anyone? Or maybe FTs in HHs.

There was massive forum windbagging on these issues asking for change and they were really bad changes.

If the devs have a mechanic they belive is necesary, they should think very carefully before they remove aspects of the game that players may not like, but are ultimatly required to make the game work.

That said input from player on matters such as ship balance is worthwhile but even that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

• Like 2

True. That is the purpose of the forum. 

We will always listen to you and try to explain the rationale for our decisions. 

Nevertheless there are two things we want our players to understand and accept:

1) Producers, designers and developers are also very hardcore players and spent huge amounts of time in Age of sail games and PvP oriented games. 

2) Product purpose is to allow maximum satisfaction for players like us. Not everyone will be happy with some features and it is ok. 

I like this attitude, please stick to your guns. 

• Like 1

There is one thing I must ask, and one that weighs heavily on my mind.

The one major event that has been present in PotBS that has now evolved into an uncontrollable monster that threatens to drive me from the game all-together: Cross-teaming.

For those who may be unsure, Cross-teaming (or X-teaming) is when a player has two (or more) separate characters that can be played at the same time, that are parts of 2 different factions, and uses them to do harm to another (usually one of the ones they play for).

Normally having different characters across nations is not a bad thing, it is a good economic tactic. And when used this way, a benign one.

However, it becomes a problem when you have players going out and single-handedly flipping a port by farming their alternate characters. Or perhaps supplying a live stream of a battle. the worst is when they come into a Port battle and immediately jump out after the battle has started, crushing one sides ability to fight

For those who played on the Roberts server, Lenin Lich was a prime example of this.

It is also very demoralizing to at one point be fighting alongside someone to only moments later be facing them.

Portalus has done almost nothing to reprimand these players and it is, at this very moment, one of the main diseases plaguing the game.

I truly hope that Game Labs will, at the least, have some sort of policy on this, if not some type of fail safe system.

Just in case it's not been said clearly enough:

PvP versus PvE players is a fallacy, the two live in a symbiotic relationship, especially in potbs.

Every time a pvp player sinks he's doing a PvE player a favour, making him money and keeping him occupied.

Whenever a pvp player keeps a port open, he enables the PvE player to run his economy, enabling the point above.

Symbiotic Relationship, which also means that one needs to cater for both and service suggestions from both. Lose one and the other is in trouble.

No PvE players? Inflation skyrockets

No pvp players? Rampant deflation

• Like 5

Hello Community,

I just signed up in this forums and I am going to look forward to place some of my suggestions the next days. First I have to read all the stuff posted allready.

Some of you might remember me from the good old times in PotBS as greedy Economist, Port Battle Commander and Defender of the British Crown :D And dont forget to blame Compass who woke up the sleeping giant.

Brogsitter

• Like 3

Hello Community,

I just signed up in this forums and I am going to look forward to place some of my suggestions the next days. First I have to read all the stuff posted allready.

Some of you might remember me from the good old times in PotBS as greedy Economist, Port Battle Commander and Defender of the British Crown :D And dont forget to blame Compass who woke up the sleeping giant.

Brogsitter

I take no responsibility for unleashing the greedy Brogsitter upon the forums.  Everybody clutch your wallets.

To the original poster:

I think it's a little early to start a forum war between PvP players and PvE players.  A good idea can come from anyone.  If an idea is well thought-out, and articulated properly so everyone understands the reasoning behind the principle, then it will be well-received.  Whether it is implemented or not is another matter, but it will at least be given fair consideration.

If a post is simply an attention grab or stinks of a private agenda, I imagine it will go into the waste bin where it belongs.

• Like 3

I don't think there has to be a war between pvp and pve players, each appeals to its own and has its merits, I think most people do a little of both with some eco thrown in. I see no reason why it should not be possible to be rewarded equally for what ever you want to do. So an hours PVP garners you a smililar reward as an hours pve or an hours eco. 

• Like 1