Game-Labs Forum

Easy Levelling - Requires 2nd Account

Eldberg

Spot on Mac, and maybe some other petty motives as well it seems. Hope the devs see this for what it is.  

Not to forget what to do with everybody that used it to get max rank really fast, let them be and have everybody that has to catch up suffer?

Keep in mind guys the change is not necessarily a direct reply to this thread. Reinforcements also killed Pvp and alot of potential fun. IMHO these fake fleets were not a big problem and if it were tbe only reason they would not have made this change.

I for one am very happy that they removed AI reinforcements, they were total BS. Imagine playing ANY other PVP game and having the AI spawn matching numbers each time you corner an enemy... That's like the worse possible PVP killing mechanic in the world.

Not to forget what to do with everybody that used it to get max rank really fast, let them be and have everybody that has to catch up suffer?

Perhaps the amount of XP that is gained from the "big NPC reinforcement battles" can be reduced.  Would that help?

:) 

If playing the game as intended is "suffering" to you, maybe you should be doing something else.

In my opinion the only people that suffer from skipping the experience of climbing the ladder as intended, are those that took the elevator.

With the Steam locked XP, you only get ONE CHANCE to get that experience.  Racing through it is simply robbing yourself.

If playing the game as intended is "suffering" to you, maybe you should be doing something else.

In my opinion the only people that suffer from skipping the experience of climbing the ladder as intended, are those that took the elevator.

With the Steam locked XP, you only get ONE CHANCE to get that experience.  Racing through it is simply robbing yourself.

I don't agree with that one bit, maybe if there were more ways to level up in this game. Currently it is a grind, and most people would prefer the grind to just be over.

I don't agree with that one bit, maybe if there were more ways to level up in this game. Currently it is a grind, and most people would prefer the grind to just be over.

You know that the "grind being over" part of a game like this usually very quickly translates into "the game is boring I'm done".

If you find the basic mechanics of the game, the cat and mouse PvP moments on the high seas, to be a grind, then perhaps you should evaluate why you are playing the game to begin with?

If the real game happens once the grind is over, then they are better off just removing XP and levels to crew completely, but that would hardly appeal to the achiever type player. 

Yep good luck with that masochistic experience of killing ships over and over again after you sail 30 mins to find the little x, probably a form of madness, this was a two fingered salute to all players to say "we don't like what these guys are doing so we are gonna get it changed cos we are the oldest clan in the world".

Those battles were some of the most interesting and educational for players that had not seen trafalgars etc etc, they showed that if you play with your head in your ass even the AI will punish you. a valuable learning mechanic as players progress to bigger ships and because of pettiness of some veterans it is removed without recourse. If that is the type of game players want then good luck enjoy the endless grind but the way in which this was done was most foul indeed. 

Totally agree.  This is probably the most short-sighted decision made so far.  It wouldn't have caused any real irreparable damage to the game to just come up with a solution to it and then implement it.  Now a few people from one group are happy and the rest of us are screwed.  We pirates dont have a lot of space on PVP2.  We can't just go out and find AI fleets that aren't already being farmed often.  Now, many of us will just sit around, leave the server, or leave the game entirely would be my guess.  

I like it from a PVP perspective, but simply adding a single line of code that said when you use this reinforcement button you will no longer be able to leave the battle.  Simply add the shrinking death circle to random battles as well and problem solved for pvp too.  All just plain short-sighted

It is a grind and missions that you can't find in the middle of the damn ocean are insanely dumb.  I usually just end up sitting in port till people log on or leave the game altogether and spend my time elsewhere.  Neither is good for the game's health.

This was in no way robbing people of the chance to learn.  In fact, we had members who benefitted immensely from it and our lowest member can sail a Trin fully crewed.  It's a different battle with that much firepower and it takes a whole new set of skills to learn.  It is also not robbing yourself if someone only has a few hours to play.  It makes it viable for everyone to progress at a more equal pace.

• Like 1

The salt, could you get rid of it please Jameson?...

As i wrote in the hotfix thread i think that the main problem with the way reinforcements were being used is that it made the content more exclusive than it should be. 

Everyone should have access to large AI Fleets, not just the people with alt's. :) And while it might seem easy to just have someone from another nation come over and spawn Reinforcements, ask yourself this; Would you wanna spend several hours spawning reinforcements for someone? 

There is 2 solutions to this that i think would be better than enabling reinforcements again just so people can farm AI fleets (Because we all know the reinforcements only helped you in a pvp battle like 1/100 times):

1. Introduce bigger AI fleets to the open world (EG, 10x 3rd's + 10x connies. Could even be bigger ships like 1st and 2nd rates as long as they aren't capturable. 

2. Increase PvP rewards even more. This might get the people farming AI out and do some more PvP. 

Shocked at how many are upset over this lol.

I get that they are upset but holy moly i did not ever think this forum would end up being this toxic. 

• Like 2

You know that the "grind being over" part of a game like this usually very quickly translates into "the game is boring I'm done".

If you find the basic mechanics of the game, the cat and mouse PvP moments on the high seas, to be a grind, then perhaps you should evaluate why you are playing the game to begin with?

If the real game happens once the grind is over, then they are better off just removing XP and levels to crew completely, but that would hardly appeal to the achiever type player. 

Just because you are max rank doesn't mean you don't need gold, won't help friends level up, won't help friends cap ships, or won't go pvp.  It just means you don't have to worry about whether you can crew it or not.  I don't know a single person that would be sad that they didn't have to grind fleets or missions anymore.  PBs suck because of timers.  Small battles dont reward you in the least.  Missions suck to find or in our case on PVP2 can spawn in enemy territory.  Mission rewards would be ok if they took 5 min to get to, but they take 40-60 min round trip.  Want to use repair kits on your 3rd, well then you just burned 40-50% of the gold you earned so that you can chain missions on the off chance they are even close enough to do so.

The salt, could you get rid of it please Jameson?...

As i wrote in the hotfix thread i think that the main problem with the way reinforcements were being used is that it made the content more exclusive than it should be. 

Everyone should have access to large AI Fleets, not just the people with alt's. :) And while it might seem easy to just have someone from another nation come over and spawn Reinforcements, ask yourself this; Would you wanna spend several hours spawning reinforcements for someone? 

There is 2 solutions to this that i think would be better than enabling reinforcements again just so people can farm AI fleets (Because we all know the reinforcements only helped you in a pvp battle like 1/100 times):

1. Introduce bigger AI fleets to the open world (EG, 10x 3rd's + 10x connies. Could even be bigger ships like 1st and 2nd rates as long as they aren't capturable. 

2. Increase PvP rewards even more. This might get the people farming AI out and do some more PvP. 

I get that they are upset but holy moly i did not ever think this forum would end up being this toxic. 

It was already stated that people were just paying members of other nations to spawn these for them.  No second account required.  I am sure someone would be willing to make money just sitting there doing nothing while they worked of played another game they wanted to anyway.  Most nations have agreements with others as well so they have allies already.  

#2 would be great, but it would have to be an enormous increase to make up for all the time it takes to find someone willing to fight.  

This was in no way robbing people of the chance to learn.  In fact, we had members who benefitted immensely from it and our lowest member can sail a Trin fully crewed.  It's a different battle with that much firepower and it takes a whole new set of skills to learn.  It is also not robbing yourself if someone only has a few hours to play.  It makes it viable for everyone to progress at a more equal pace.

I think you misunderstand me. I was totally against them pulling this out without compensating mechanics being put in place, more for Newb protection, but since I have read more I realize this is basically a removal of content people found fun. 

I said the "only" person could hurt was themselves, as in, if they want to cut down their time in the game what the hell difference does that make to me or anyone else? 

Somehow that got misunderstood to be me saying they shouldn't be able to. Sometimes the actual goal of the game is to finish a game as quickly as possible, in fact it even has a name, "Speed Running", and is itself its own type of game.  

The only reason I replied to that comment was the word "suffering".  If you are "suffering" in a game, you are doing it wrong.  What do you expect to change about the game when you finish your suffering, the mechanics are going to be the same with less goals to achieve when you get there.

That is all.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

#2 would be great, but it would have to be an enormous increase to make up for all the time it takes to find someone willing to fight.  

All the time it takes to find someone willing to fight? 

On average it probably takes me like 15 minutes.. Set up an outpost in a freeport in enemy territory and you should have no trouble finding fights! (Eg; I TP to La Tortue and fight them dirty rats ^^). 

But alas, i do not disagree. Right now the PvE is 1x and the PvP is 2x.

I think 3x for pvp might be enough. 

Holy moly. To those that place this squarely on the head of TF/TDA, you seem to be responding to... me. I have been very vocal about this. Indeed, I had a whole different thread about it in the open world section.

You seem to be saying that since I couldn't fleet spawn, nobody could. I'm not sure where you came away with that. I haven't done any PvE fights in a while, and with the exception of some very small crafting, spend my time privateering. Before it was out of Bonacca and Great Corn, now it's in the Bahamas.

My issue with reinforcements has been clearly laid out in multiple posts. Most revolve around trading vessels caught with their pants down getting magic Constitutions.

Trying to tie this to STARS, the American Council, TF or TDA is simply wrong. Though you may not be able to separate national politics from game development, please do not assume the same of everyone else.

• Like 1

I was against farming pavels even when TDA members were doing it too, against damage farming the 1st week in Sea Trials, against damage farming in Santis in Sea Trials, and against pirate damage farming in OW.  I've always been against exploiting the system to farm.  If it is built in, it is fine, but this, as the devs have mentioned, was unintentioned and you have to jump through hoops to get to it.

People can accuse me all they want of being biased against stars, but I posted in this thread before anyone in stars said they were doing it and before I even knew they were doing it.  TDA forum has a thread about using this as a tactic to level up quickly, and I'm against that as well.

Just wait until a large AI battle system is in place.

Also, this Tribunal predates this:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/11686-reinforce-mechanic-abuse/

• Like 2

Server population is regularly 350, this mechanic offered something reliable to do at that time which could include everyone that wanted to be included. I don't really understand the argument for removing them without replacing them with something that can be done during low server population time. I hope they will get reinstated, when you have 25+ guys online at that time this was the only thing you can do which guaranteed group content for all involved. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun sailing around the entire Caribbean looking for the other 325 players though.

edit: added group infront of content since of course you can all split up and do missions, single player game is fun?

Edited by YouGotToasted
  • Like 1

Server population is regularly 350, this mechanic offered something reliable to do at that time which could include everyone that wanted to be included. I don't really understand the argument for removing them without replacing them with something that can be done during low server population time. I hope they will get reinstated, when you have 25+ guys online at that time this was the only thing you can do which guaranteed group content for all involved. I'm sure I'll have lots of fun sailing around the entire Caribbean looking for the other 325 players though.

edit: added group infront of content since of course you can all split up and do missions, single player game is fun?

The solution could be as simple as another "battle" type in the missions menu.

AI Battle.  Spawns all players on one side, all AI on the other, match BR, basically the same as the old Call reinforcements button did.

To reduce farming well there is already a .5 XP multiplier, simply apply the same multiplier to gold, or if not difficult remove gold and ship loss entirely.

That "sounds" easy, but could be harder than it sounds to implement.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
  • Like 3

STARS,

I know their is a lot of conflict between our two groups but letting it degrade to believing every negative thing that happens to you is through the organization of TF or TDA is going ridiculously to far.

If you consider yourself fair minded then please read tribunal forum regarding this same issue. It was brought up over an entirely different group doing the same thing as you were doing in the gulf. Read my arguments please and you will see quite clearly TF has not taken a stance against you doing what you are doing with the reinforcement fleets.

I know from experience that things that could be seen as an exploit is something that the admin looks down upon. The comments from players of all nations shows that many see this as an exploit. In my response in that thread you will see that I was frustrated that we couldn't get a simple ruling on it, up or down. You can see from my posts that at least some of us wanted to participate in the xp grind, but only if it wasn't considered an exploit nor were we the first to bring it up.

With all due respect,

Thomas Pain

TF Commanding

After Having a long talk with a poster from this thread via TS   today and pointed here to read it I would like to give my 2 cents on the topic.  I tend to stay away from the forums because of the politics involved and the fact the Devs usually take the side of whiners and ruin games.  I have seen this many times in past games I have played. 

However on this topic I see it as an abuse of game mechanic and should not exist.  I also believe it can be used for great training for port battles and fleet dynamics.  I like what another poster said about having like a large battle option against AI.  What I dont understand is the fact that this was brought up and a pissing match between clans and I dont see it that way.  Full disclosure I am a TF member and not a big PVP player but a ship builder. 

What I dont get is why people are arguing over a PVE change from clans on a PVP server.  You want PVE go to a PVE server.  Yes I agree you can get better exp from PVE and people want to get up in levels.  But it still stands this is a PVP server from who this thread started and the clan pissing match started between.

My final point is this game is still in development.  It is not a release of the game.  We are all still testers.  They could wipe everything but exp tomorrow since they said they wouldnt do that anymore.  So how many of you whiners would quit the game tomorrow if they decided to wipe everything but exp and set the map back to start and changed the way the game played. 

Enjoy the game, test the game,  give your ideas on how to make the game better.  But for gods sake stop the 3rd grade whining about this clan did this and this clan did that.

For the DEVS make your game and please dont turn this game into another PotBS.

FLAME ON Because I know you all cant help yourselves.

The solution could be as simple as another "battle" type in the missions menu.

AI Battle.  Spawns all players on one side, all AI on the other, match BR, basically the same as the old Call reinforcements button did.

To reduce farming well there is already a .5 XP multiplier, simply apply the same multiplier to gold, or if not difficult remove gold and ship loss entirely.

That "sounds" easy, but could be harder than it sounds to implement.

So long as I can invite 25 into a single raid type group i'm fine with that, but at the moment your proposal is only an idea, I'd like to see the mechanic reinstated until such time that alternate content is enabled, I'd like to play this game as mmo rather then single player game.

Alternatively just make the ai fleets travel around 25 3rds, I'd be fine with that. There must be something to do when the population gets low or the population will get lower, and do so more quickly until the 350 we see turns into 300 or less.

Seeing as how there are players from the US, Britain, and Pirate nations upset about the lack of large, challenging fleets to fight, what if the fleets from each of those nations tried to find and fight each other? Really, in all seriousness, if everyone was using this farming technique then that means there are now large player fleets for each faction without anything to do. Why not take this dev-mandated pause of power-grinding as an opportunity to go out and engage in some fun and intense PvP fleet actions? Isn't that what everyone is grinding for anyways?

I think the devs have heard the outcry that players want more end-game PvE content, and perhaps they will deliver it. But in the meantime let's have some real battles!

• Like 1

f.

Funny how as intended is brought up, given other aspects of the game are not as originally intended( pirates for ex)

I'm about ready to be done with this game because the dev team is willing to ruin the game to force a stupid grind on people.

NEWSFLASH, no one wants to do your stupid grind, its awful, everyone hates it, and it drives people out of the game.

You can't find time to fix nation imbalance that drove PVP2 off a cliff, but you can somehow find time to remove reinforcements that leaves new players in a bad position just so you can put a stop to people who attempt to power level the grind.

You really want to force people to invest their lives into grinding don't you?

You know what is awful about your grind, the fact that I have to spend countless hours going wasted watching a ship travel from point A to B, a useless time sink, just to have a time sink.

The reinforcement thing made the game fun, made me want to log in because it provided a solid way to level up that was fun, its now, now the game is boring as dog poop again,,,,, good job.

Edited by Dirtydiggler

My clan went from having 34 on right now last night to 15 on right now.. great job devs. We just found out about this less than a week ago, and it brought players back that quit the game because they got tired of the grind / solo mission play / splitting up the clan to grind (we are a gaming community) now you take it away so now they are gone.. great job listening.. majority of us said to leave it until you can replace it.

This was the first fun thing to do that we've found we can do as a large group since port battles, which people have grown tired of. 

PvP 1 is dead as this time frame, and this is not going to help it.

Again, great job listening.