Game-Labs Forum

Data on breeching rope strain

Fluffy Fishy

There is a lot of information but not what I am looking for, thank you anyway :). I am looking specifically for the backward force, you see the ropes holding the cannon in place in the picture, I am looking for some information of how much force they had to stand up to. It was a massive amount, be it for a very short space of time. I am just curious if anyone has looked into it really.

standard.jpg

then the formula for recoil is needed right?

Pf+Pp=0

where 3c4048cb1d66aa4a1b5119d3b242fce9.png is the momentum of the cannon and d7bc589c398b48e1e067fa1eb5de5f3e.png is the momentum of the projectile. In other words, immediately after firing, the momentum of the cannon is equal and opposite to the momentum of the projectile.

Edited by Capt. Rice
  • Like 1

At the risk of sounding uneducated, I'm sorry but that sounds a bit too much science for me to cope with, are you saying you can work that out from the data on the link you posted? How does the momentum reflect on the backwards force, I get the feeling its more complex than that formula shows, I am out of my depth.

well for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is just that simple. I think the complexity comes in when you have several forces working on the ropes at the same time. Not only the cannon firing but also the heel of the ship the roughness of the seas and so on. 

Edited by Young
  • Like 2

well for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. It is just that simple. I think the complexity comes in when you have several forces working on the ropes at the same time. Not only the cannon firing but also the heel of the ship the roughness of the seas and so on. 

Not to mention the drag on the rollers, force delivered to the hull of the ship due to cannon angle, slip and settle travel of the cannon in the frame,  the difference in velocity due to weight, gradual application of force on the ropes as pulley slack was taken up, ejected material, (the non-powder plugs and such, and any force channels due to barrel design.

(did they do anything like that last one in the design like a recoil-less riffle?)

Edited by KrakkenSmacken