Game-Labs Forum
admin

Love and Hate Post

Love:

Sea Visuals

Ship Visuals

Improvement:

Sailing of larger ships needs to be improved slightly, I get in my Surprise I join a battle and guess what, everyone sits on my ass the whole battle. I simply cannot fight them, especially when your team of morons don't cover it like they should with the lighter ships.

Damage Textures: Some times I get hit and the damage textures spread from the hull of the ship to the barrels of guns. It's really annoying please fix it.

Hate:

Manual Skipper: It gives an unfair advantage to captains who have been playing in the original testing and as of yet no one has bothered to create a tutorial on it at all so far as I can find. It should be removed until documentation of how to actually use the damn thing is made publicly available. Other wise all us newbro's are f*cked in manuever actions, especially in things of equal match, such as Surprise v Surprise

Timer in lobby: There are no brakes on the rape train, but that doesn't mean that someone joining the lobby should prevent it from getting started.

Fixed Winds: They need to be made variable. Fixed winds causes my sanity to go out the window when dealing with cutters behind me. A day and a half playing in slow moving square riggers with schooners and other light ships sitting directly behind me has my fun gameing spirit ground down to a pessimistic depressing hulk.

Hyperion74    116

This is only off of three fights. 2 pve and one pvp.

I love... The graphics.

The graphics.

The graphics.

My word, this game looks so impressive. Been wanting this for years. Thankee, Thankee so much.

Gunnery. A bit of a challenge but when I started hitting, I got a warm fuzzy.

Sailing, good or bad it is awesome. I missed stays on a few tacks but that just taught me how to tack.

This one is small but when I saw it I was absolutely tickled. The rudder moves. Yes you can see it move.

Hates, none yet. I have a few annoyances.

Gunnery mode was a bit awkward for me. Took some getting used to. Clicked wrong a few times.

Number pad on my keyboard did not work. I'll need to play more to figure it out.

Biggist  one, and this is just whining. I stayed up late on Saturday morning checking my email for a code. It arrives at 1024, just after I shut of the puter. Had to work that night. 10 hours of waiting to sail. That was pure hell. 

Chilly Willy    180

Love:

Sea Visuals

Ship Visuals

Improvement:

Sailing of larger ships needs to be improved slightly, I get in my Surprise I join a battle and guess what, everyone sits on my ass the whole battle. I simply cannot fight them, especially when your team of morons don't cover it like they should with the lighter ships.

Damage Textures: Some times I get hit and the damage textures spread from the hull of the ship to the barrels of guns. It's really annoying please fix it.

Hate:

Manual Skipper: It gives an unfair advantage to captains who have been playing in the original testing and as of yet no one has bothered to create a tutorial on it at all so far as I can find. It should be removed until documentation of how to actually use the damn thing is made publicly available. Other wise all us newbro's are f*cked in manuever actions, especially in things of equal match, such as Surprise v Surprise

Timer in lobby: There are no brakes on the rape train, but that doesn't mean that someone joining the lobby should prevent it from getting started.

Fixed Winds: They need to be made variable. Fixed winds causes my sanity to go out the window when dealing with cutters behind me. A day and a half playing in slow moving square riggers with schooners and other light ships sitting directly behind me has my fun gameing spirit ground down to a pessimistic depressing hulk.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/656-maturins-big-thread-of-sails/

info on tacking

oh and practice practice practice

chillly willy

KillBox    41

What I love:

1.) The graphics - they are stunning.  Nothing quite like watching the flashes and plumes of smoke in the distance and wondering for a few seconds of that fire is incoming.  My GTX 780 is affording me Ultra@75fps and I'm loving it.

2.) The simulation - whether I'm tacking or wearing in the middle of a fight, or trying to hit distant targets with my long guns, I get the same sensation that I do with DCS - being in a deceptively complex environment and trying to make important decisions.

3.) The sound - I don't think you guys get enough credit for this.  Hearing the distant echoes of cannon fire rippling over the water, my own guns shouting like angry dragons... it's nothing short of amazing.  With some tweaking you guys could probably win an important award just for the sound.

What needs improvement:

1.) The PvE matchmaking (in it's current state) is between arduous and suicidal.  Alpha state, I know, just pointing it out as y dislikes are actually rather minor at this point.

2.) Autobalancer in PvP would be nice, as would groups.  That said, I would imagine it's not a priority, and shouldn't be at this point.

3.) I really can't think of anything else.

What I hate:

Nothing.  Alphas are Alphas - you guys have laid down really solid foundations and the ship combat is the best I've ever experienced.  Keep up the excellent work!

NorthernWolves    1,309

Nothing to do with the game itself, just the trials.... HATE that people are cheating to get wins unnaturally. A bunch join PvP, then all go to one side, once in game they sink one ship and everyone gets a win. Seen players doing it over and over. 

Yay.

I found about joining one and they told what was the deal once in the game, didn't do it again. Not a fan.

BungeeLemming    1,484

love:

that there are soo many players to do pvp with.. simply epic now.

I like to play small ships again!

edit:

Hate:

the OP/ imbalanced AI with PvE battles. (posted after Vernon)

SeethDark    15

HATE that people are cheating to get wins unnaturally. A bunch join PvP, then all go to one side, once in game they sink one ship and everyone gets a win. Seen players doing it over and over. 

I hope after some new patch the stats will reset again;), ..so people will try to enjoy and test the aspects of the game instead of power grinding lvl up.

Hernann    1

The game is absolutely gorgeous and run very smootly ( intel I5, 8GB memory + Ati radeon R7 sapphire )

I experienced some bug  running the game on higher graphic ( medium and up ), error message popping saying ''Too many Heap'' then crash.

There is a lot of small details that players pointing out, like sails folding/what sailors do on the ship ( graphics/esthetics ), which i think it shouldn`t be very important. after all it will only make the coding more heavy to add nothing to the playability.

realism v.s. playability, without being arcade-ish: there is some irritability, like sailing upwind, trying to get back into the fight take too much time after chasing a ship by example.

I agree on the PVE aspect of the game, for new players, its a bit difficult when your line ups are made of yatch and lynx, and half of them go afk. Also when a new players join the lobby, the timer shouldn`t reset to full time.

Forcing your ship to slow down by folding sails should be quicker. often the ship keep his speed or keep accelerating until you fold under 50%

I haven`t been bothered by other things mentioned by players such as camera angle/smoke/sounds but i`ve been  playing mostly  on low setting to avoid crash. 

RAMJB    972

Love

-Ships feel right. They just do. The way they handle, the fact that (for once in a game like this) wind really matters a lot, how ships heel as they should on a crosswind...it's just lovely.

-Game looks and sounds gorgeous. Visually it's very very very pretty and appealing to look at. But even with those amazing graphics, sounds take the piece of the cake here. It goes a LONG way into making this game an incredible experience.

-Overall this is already so polished that the game as a whole deserves to be loved. This must be by far the most polished, better looking, better sounding, most fun alpha I've ever tried (and by a FAR shot)

Needs improvement:

-a "gun elevation" tool would go a long ways to remember the elevation you used in your last shot. It's a bit annoying to lose the reference you used in your last broadside and have to guesstimate the range all over again

-Want moar ships (DUH! :D).

-I think fore and aft ships don't have enough advantage on close haul situation over more conventional square riggers as brigs. It's more of a feeling than anything else however.

Hate:

-Testers who are here not to test but to have their own private "fun" abusing the unavoidable gameplay loopholes and exploits a game in this early stage is bound to have, stacking teams, and in general, not giving a crap about the testing they were brought here to conduct, but about griefing their way to bigger ships no matter what they have to do to get there.

-Remove the "victory" condition to advance to the next ship and change it for damage done. Will remove undeserved testers to abuse stacking to advance fast, will make it more fun to test wether you lose or you win (a lot of times a loss/win is not dependant on your individual performance but of that of the team as a whole). It also won't cause killstealing (if you swap for "kills" instead of victories, lots of people will be just lusting to steal the kill on a ship you've spent a lot of time working on). Will also in general reward good tactics and force everyone to become better.

-Spiders. I really do. I'm a severe case of arachnophobia. I see one, I get paralyzed. Can't stand them critters. I loathe them with a passion. I know it's not game related but seriously, I can't find anything else to hate in it. It's just wonderful and knowing is only bound to get better just makes me drool :)

ulysse77    200

Love

-Ships feel right. They just do. The way they handle, the fact that (for once in a game like this) wind really matters a lot, how ships heel as they should on a crosswind...it's just lovely.

-Game looks and sounds gorgeous. Visually it's very very very pretty and appealing to look at. But even with those amazing graphics, sounds take the piece of the cake here. It goes a LONG way into making this game an incredible experience.

-Overall this is already so polished that the game as a whole deserves to be loved. This must be by far the most polished, better looking, better sounding, most fun alpha I've ever tried (and by a FAR shot)

Needs improvement:

-a "gun elevation" tool would go a long ways to remember the elevation you used in your last shot. It's a bit annoying to lose the reference you used in your last broadside and have to guesstimate the range all over again

-Want moar ships (DUH! :D).

-I think fore and aft ships don't have enough advantage on close haul situation over more conventional square riggers as brigs. It's more of a feeling than anything else however.

Hate:

-Testers who are here not to test but to have their own private "fun" abusing the unavoidable gameplay loopholes and exploits a game in this early stage is bound to have, stacking teams, and in general, not giving a crap about the testing they were brought here to conduct, but about griefing their way to bigger ships no matter what they have to do to get there.

-Remove the "victory" condition to advance to the next ship and change it for damage done. Will remove undeserved testers to abuse stacking to advance fast, will make it more fun to test wether you lose or you win (a lot of times a loss/win is not dependant on your individual performance but of that of the team as a whole). It also won't cause killstealing (if you swap for "kills" instead of victories, lots of people will be just lusting to steal the kill on a ship you've spent a lot of time working on). Will also in general reward good tactics and force everyone to become better.

-Spiders. I really do. I'm a severe case of arachnophobia. I see one, I get paralyzed. Can't stand them critters. I loathe them with a passion. I know it's not game related but seriously, I can't find anything else to hate in it. It's just wonderful and knowing is only bound to get better just makes me drool :)

i have the exact same opinion as the previous poster...

but, i don't hate spiders i even let them live.

I have one problem, i have a newborn and a 2 yo in the house and my playing time is really limited lol... disapointed to see the server down this morning....;-)  

TBH, i really have don't any complaint so far, and the only two bugs i encountered were on my end. as for griefer I haven't seen any yet, and most players were very helpful...

Saintduiex    448

Forcing your ship to slow down by folding sails should be quicker. often the ship keep his speed or keep accelerating until you fold under 50%

sails could only be raised or lowered as fast as the men could do it. The Devs are keeping it as real as possible and I believe that they have that part right.

Having said that, the fastest way to slow down in MOST situations is not to lower your sails but to neutralize your sails to the wind  ie. turn the sails so that they are going in the same direction as the wind, sometimes its not always possible to get them completely neutral so you may need to adjust your heading a bit.

The other big benefit if you do it this way you can take off again much faster than having to raise them again :)  

Happy sailing!!!!

Saintduiex    448

There is only thing that one thing that I  HATE about the game, and its not about the function of the game at all and it is brand new to Naval Action. And there is another function that I will lump in with the first that I actually do like a lot, but not at this time in this test environment.

HATE  - the "new ship acquisition process" being used in this TEST segment. And kill the leaderboard, but keep the function to allow everyone see their own ships win/loss stats. Bring this back later in the testing process, give all the new folks time to learn and get an equal shot at hitting the top. 

It is driving behavior that has not been seen before in here and is distorting the way the battles are fought. People are jumping sides at the last moment, people go afk and then the others are pissed that they wasted and hour in a battle that they will not get a win in.

Folks, this is test. And I get that everyone wants to get to the big ships, but the current process and the associated BS and behavior that is going along with it is not achieving an environment that can get the best testing done. Its ALL about winning a battle in this test environment.

There are processes that I and others have suggested to the Dev's that will get EVERYONE access to ALL ships and create an environment that produces much more balanced and fun battles and a focus on learning the ships, how close to the wind can they sail, what are the turn rates, how fast do they accelerate.

With the current focus on winning and not on testing no one will experiment to find bugs because they may lose and not get to that next ship so that they can stay competitive.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Mienki    3

After some time spend at sea i have my own hate list. I skip what i like because whole sailing and fighting system is really good, but i hate:

-Matchmaking - its not problem with timer, but whole system which dont balance teams. Why not creating own "game" where people can join and owner of this "game" can move players between sides or remove someone/lock game if its ready? 

-Forts - one game when enemies take fort (lynx and cutters) we cant destroy this fort so we can wait for end (draw) or be destroyed, its naval action or tower defense? With better ships it may have sense but with small ships i dont think so.

-Progress system - much better would be damage depend progress. It forces playing, rewards if someone is playing well, allow to play unbalanced teams (you still have progress even if you lost).

-Running away - i understand that someone dont want to lose, but chasing for 30 min and still cant catch him is really annoying.

-Afk players - i understand that someone need to leave suddenly but system should disconnect them/automatically destroy them.

-Ramming - its really annoying and really OP. If i want to ram some ships i will launch Rome II Total War.

I love the game, its graphics, its physics, it's limitations and difficulties due the technology of the times.

It is a very nice historical naval semi sim that introduces skills and mind frames long forgotten. 

What I dislike:  Gamers bullying and insulting others because they can't get their ways and are frustrated by some technology limitations of the times, for examples Firepower vs Speed and Maneuverability. Sometimes it felt like WOT!                     

@NorthernWolves: You did it yesterday on me. Please be coherent!

Mienki    3

If you are talking about ramming probably yes, i wanted to test it by myself and to know how to neutralize it, and honestly some of my collisions wasnt intentionally (still i dont know when board option appears).

Saintduiex    448

It happens. I have been testing this game for the past few months and yesterday I was not looking and I rolled over a fellow teammate. :(  And Gunny if that was you then I am sorry, will give you the opportunity to do the same to me :rolleyes:

And its good to test the ramming, some ramming will sink you in minutes if you don't start repairs immediately.

And if your goal is to test ramming you might want to let the other guy know that first ;)

Love:

Attention to detail - The ship models and maps alike are outstanding!

Game play is smooth - Very little to no jumping about (rubber banding) during game play.

Physics - Though there is room for improvement, Naval Action's physics are already verging on fantastic!

Hate/Needs addressing:

Ship acquisition - Winning battles is all well and good, but if we are supposed to give feedback it would be more beneficial to change the acquisition from 'battles won' to 'battles played.' This way we will be able to give feedback on ships like the Victory, Constitution, etc much sooner, unless the reasoning is Dev's do not want players in those types of ship off the get-go.

In-Battle Chat - Though not so much confusing, it is a bit finicky during an intense battle. Things that are meant for the team get broadcast to the entire match by mistake and can change the entire outcome of the fight.

Forts - I think these are a good idea, but there is a time and place for them. in battles with cutters, Lynx' and other lower end ships I feel they may be a bit out of place. I suggest maps with forts be kept for the battles with line ships and heavy frigates. Ones that can put up a fight against these land-based behemoths.

(+1) Cutter - I feel it is too easily flipped. When a ship of equal size or smaller can crash into a cutter at 5 knots and capsize it, it does seem a little unrealistic. Though some may fight me on this, I personally would not want to see it in the fully released game. Of course capsizing and ramming were both a part of mariner life, however I think the results we are seeing from the cutter in battle should be reserved for when it is struck by a brig, frigate or line ship. Not a fellow sloop.

This however is nothing but opinion. All in all I'm overjoyed to be taking part in the Alpha test of Naval Action. Keep up the splendid work!

Chilly Willy    180

It happens. I have been testing this game for the past few months and yesterday I was not looking and I rolled over a fellow teammate. :(  And Gunny if that was you then I am sorry, will give you the opportunity to do the same to me :rolleyes:

And its good to test the ramming, some ramming will sink you in minutes if you don't start repairs immediately.

And if your goal is to test ramming you might want to let the other guy know that first ;)

Gotta admit I am guilty as well

While in aming mode and tracking a target

We tend not to pay attention as to where we are going. Apologies to ones I have plowed over

Love:

The mechanics of the ship are really good for being it in alpha

Physics are really good for being in alpha.

Pretty much agree with the majority for the love part.

Hate:

Progression as of now. Since you are only able to progress through wins, at this state it is a bit hard due to the fact of how the matches are set up as well it is harder for new players to progress with out some knowledge of the mechanics of the game.

The Config UI is interesting but yet could some work. For instance if I config my Cutter it will show that I have spots for bow,stern, 1,2 and 3rd deck gun placements. When infact you can only mount 1st deck guns. So It would be aesthetically better just to show the option of the cannons that you can place that are actually there (if that makes any sense)

The AI path finding is interesting and needs a bit more work because every time I played in PVE the AI seems to go Ram happy with there own ships. Which does not bother me but it kinda needs a bit more work.

Other then that just the usual terrian/model attention in the maps. 

Other then that for this game, being in its current state, IS FREAKING EPIC. To be honest this is one of the most enjoyable alpha builds that I have played. Keep up the good work!

Leo R.    5

Love

-I love the balance of simulation but still highly enjoyable. 

-Overall Looks and Sound

-Atmosphere

Hate

-Some better indication of the Shooting angle

-Can´t tell from the looks alone how damaged the sails/ship is

-missing some basic settings like volume (game gets black when i tab out)

NorthernWolves    1,309

I love the game, its graphics, its physics, it's limitations and difficulties due the technology of the times.

It is a very nice historical naval semi sim that introduces skills and mind frames long forgotten. 

What I dislike:  Gamers bullying and insulting others because they can't get their ways and are frustrated by some technology limitations of the times, for examples Firepower vs Speed and Maneuverability. Sometimes it felt like WOT!                     

@NorthernWolves: You did it yesterday on me. Please be coherent!

Way to completely misrepresent what happened. You were one of the 'runners' that was pissing everyone off, not only that as you were running away you would call everyone that was chasing you 'cowards'. And I chose to NOT call you out by name on here when I posted earlier about people running away from a fight in Sea Trials.

So I didn't want to be on your side in a PvP? Cry me a river. As many players will attest I always am one of the handful of players trying to ensure that sides are even in PvP. I'm not going to argue with you. I asked you if you are done running away in battle, if you are I will play with you, if not pound sand. 

Update: Ok, Gunny I sent you a PM, I'm all about truces and starting over, let's move on  :)