Game-Labs Forum
admin

Love and Hate Post

Pappnase    20

pro:

- different calibres on a ship

- more advanced sailing mechanics compared to other age of sail games (though I hope this will be even more advanced in the future)

- possibility to choose which gun deck should fire/ advanced gun control

contra:

- hull damage system

- sail, mast, rigging damage

- still only Victory playable. I would be fine with that, but where's the point, if you could receive also feedback for Surprise and Constitution at the same time.

improvements:

- sound

- effects

- first person walkable deck

That's it for this build.

Barberouge    721

nuit_d10.jpg

Love

1) The graphics and visual feeling are already excellent

2) The optimization

3) The overall progress of the testing builds

To improve

1) The Alt-Tab view system and the shooting at close range

2) The sailing controls and their effects

3) The unrealistic repair system

4) The controls customization (we can't choose all the shortcuts)

Hate

1) The fact that an animation of flapping sails would take too much FPS - we'd need at least a sound, and maybe a specific static looking

2) The immersion, regarding sounds

3) The overall low speed of the game given the current ship management - although the current Victory maneuverability seems quite spot on overall

Old rounds nostalgy

1) The maneuverability of the Surprise during build 0.2.29, i.e. before the 20% turn rate nerf

Balsafer    266

Love

1. Realism

2. Future open world play

3. Model detail

Hate

1. Ship cannon reload in middle of screen

2. Agree with previous poster cannons on ship need to sound a bit more like a cannon

3. Cant think of anything for 3

SeaWolf_    228

i love:

the damage system like ramming and the ships taking on water

sailing realism is awesome

graphics are incredible 

waves blocking shots

needs improved:

sail damage

friendly AI ramming 

needs a better map that you can view the whole area

more smoke and it lasts a little longer

improved UI would be good

----------------------------------

theres nothing i hate but i would love to sail xebecs or frigates

Volkira    43

I'm pretty new and haven't had a chance to test out frigates or other game mechanics.So most of my feedback is based on the current build.

The Good:

1.Obviously being able to host 50 ship pvp battles.

2.The Game Engine

3.Ease of moving around the ship during combat.

Needs Improving:

1.The whole weather system if the game goes Sandbox Open World.Needs a dynamic weather and sea system with clouds moving,gusts,Fluctuating winds both in strength and direction.Waves have to have weight behind them so that the player needs to adjust his rudder

2. Multiple and variable SInking,dismasting, damage,fire, waves splashing over the bow,wind spray animations.The more the better.

3.The current UI just seems wrong for this game.Seems to clinical and sterile.Definately too easy to get lost if chasing a lone ship.Hard to navigate back to others late in game.

Hate:

Mmmm Hard to say anything here since we are just testing a focus build.

But I definately would like a better idea of where the game is heading as understanding this would allow for better feedback. eg Is it going to be a World of Tanks type pvp system or Open world?

Game Mechanics are so different.No real need for a dynamic weather system in a World of tanks type game where as in an Open World game it's necessary.

If I'm playing Open world I want to see working crew on the Deck since I'll be looking at the deck a long time.If it's world of tanks then it aint so important having crew on deck.I'm more concerned about my ships controls in a tight 25 vs 25 pvp battle.Focus here is sinking ships quickly.My posts would be more focused on things like the Players dry dock(Like world of tanks Garage)

So I find it difficult to write on the forums about things when I have no clue what sort of game Naval Action wants to be.

Clinch    159

I would like to change my 3 dislikes to just one thing-i wish the battles lasted longer. Seems to be over before the real fun begins. For instance, the large pvp battles posted on youtube you see hosts ship sunk before good close range broadside exchanges occur. It seems a little anticlimactic to me. I must be alone here because I havent noticed anyone else mention this. Just my opinion.

O'BrianFan    40

I would like to change my 3 dislikes to just one thing-i wish the battles lasted longer. Seems to be over before the real fun begins. For instance, the large pvp battles posted on youtube you see hosts ship sunk before good close range broadside exchanges occur. It seems a little anticlimactic to me. I must be alone here because I havent noticed anyone else mention this. Just my opinion.

I would agree on this, I've had battles end when they were just getting interesting - these were the large PVE battles. One of the issues is that if you end up downwind with 10 minutes to go it's a heck of a job to tack back to the action before the game finishes. I like that the wind has such an effect, but not that a timer ends things. My assumption is that the timer is just a temporary mechanic for testing whilst there is no surrender/escape option.

Destraex    990

I actually disagree. I think that for most people shorter is better. Especially if you die early.

I don't want to be stuck chasing a player who has the weather gauge and is running for 30 minutes.

This is always my big fear with a game like this. That if people intend to run for 30 minutes there is nothing you can do about it but walk off and get a drink. 

In MWO they implemented a system where you could exit the battle and start another if you died early.

You just had to have spare ships to take into the other battle and your damaged\colours struck one stayed in game to get points at the end of the match.

Clinch    159

I actually disagree. I think that for most people shorter is better. Especially if you die early.

I don't want to be stuck chasing a player who has the weather gauge and is running for 30 minutes.

This is always my big fear with a game like this. That if people intend to run for 30 minutes there is nothing you can do about it but walk off and get a drink. 

In MWO they implemented a system where you could exit the battle and start another if you died early.

You just had to have spare ships to take into the other battle and your damaged\colours struck one stayed in game to get points at the end of the match.

Im not suggesting I want 2 hour battles. I just think the exciting part of the battle (close broadside exchanges) is over before it begins. Just my opinion.

redpiano    6

I love the visuals for the most part.

I love the gameplay, I think it has just the right amount of depth so there's something in there for me to learn and practice but not overly complicated.

I love the feel of the ships, they feel weighty as they should and just the physicsy feel of everything is really great.

I would like to see the AI improved dramatically, they shoot straight through friendlies and ram each other constantly and they always sail into the wind until they're at a stand-still.

I would like to see some of the animation improved, particularly I think sails look a little too static, especially the way the sails unfurl, they don't really unfurl so much as appear in perfect shape and gradually grow to full size which I think looks silly. Also the men on the deck have some weird animation.

Other than that just general stuff like the interface, I don't like having the cannon info attached to the center of my screen for example.

I don't really have any hates, but I am still concerned about the support for PvE in the game. Comments like BungeeLemming's scare me because I don't have any interest in PvP and if the devs think that all people want is PvP then we're going to end up with a PvE environment that is poorly supported to the point where the people who are like me and mostly just want to play alone or cooperatively with friends against AI, will be out of luck. I would like to see a detailed explanation for how this game is planned to be upon completion, what will the PvE content be, how will we interact with it, if we can avoid PvP entirely, how does that work and what exactly does that mean.

PIerrick de Badas    1,121

I would like to respec my hate skill points:

- I hate camera and how it works. Really too close on the ships not allowing you to form a line or anyting with teamates. It's perfect to pve lonely and the worst thing ever in pvp with allys.

- I hate  the speed of the game. I can make a cookie and drink a coffee during any action. Battles will take place for hours what will make a big probleme to find people ot play with in matchmaking. A x1.25 o x1.5 speed  would be nice at least ot test it

- I hate the fact that in battle you are not able to play as a team due of interface. I got an old edr in test now and we are now 3 edr (larmer/eric/me).  We were one on the key team in potbs with the team we build. We knew before anyone what out teamate plane what make us play like onepack of ship instead of 6 differents ships.

We play yesterday together in pve and with the crapyzoomout, we lost the view on our teamates few time after the battle start. Forcing us to switch to gunnery view, then go back to deck view where we need to go near the water to see the name of the captain of the ship thatis on top of the mast and out of screen for 95% the battle in close range.... Make us loose any interest to play together. Our line collapse in few minuts after the first npc push one of us. He decrease his speed but spend 5 minutes due of bad inertie to stop his ship.

Sorry for th hate post but i waited to be able to test the game with my old crew to be sure that  what i supposed was true and I can tell you that the game you made NOW is a game for PVE lonely. Perfect for a AC like, but so unperfect for a pvp games.

End of hate post, ty

SeaDog    30

- I hate  the speed of the game. I can make a cookie and drink a coffee during any action. Battles will take place for hours what will make a big probleme to find people ot play with in matchmaking. A x1.25 o x1.5 speed  would be nice at least ot test it

Plerrick, i think the speed is perfect. Increase the speed of the game means to increase the probability that the game takes the arcade style. 
This feature completely destroys the realistic style of the game in my opinion.

Poyraz    129

I totally agree on the topic of the camera view. It mostly reduces the field of view. Camera view should be able to zoomed out at a considerably distance. Otherwise it is like first person view, we also need a 3rd person view which places the camera at some further distance than right now. Otherwise, you easly lose the grasp on the instance.

I would like to respec my hate skill points:

- I hate camera and how it works. Really too close on the ships not allowing you to form a line or anyting with teamates. It's perfect to pve lonely and the worst thing ever in pvp with allys.

- I hate the fact that in battle you are not able to play as a team due of interface. I got an old edr in test now and we are now 3 edr (larmer/eric/me).  We were one on the key team in potbs with the team we build. We knew before anyone what out teamate plane what make us play like onepack of ship instead of 6 differents ships.

We play yesterday together in pve and with the crapyzoomout, we lost the view on our teamates few time after the battle start. Forcing us to switch to gunnery view, then go back to deck view where we need to go near the water to see the name of the captain of the ship thatis on top of the mast and out of screen for 95% the battle in close range.... Make us loose any interest to play together. Our line collapse in few minuts after the first npc push one of us. He decrease his speed but spend 5 minutes due of bad inertie to stop his ship.

Sorry for th hate post but i waited to be able to test the game with my old crew to be sure that  what i supposed was true and I can tell you that the game you made NOW is a game for PVE lonely. Perfect for a AC like, but so unperfect for a pvp games.

End of hate post, ty

Well, for the speed of the game I think the opposite. You reach your max speed in 30-40 seconds even with HMS Victory. That is IMO more than fast enough.

End of hate post, ty

Clinch    159

The devs have made mention they liked the camera view and want not for this game to turn into a strategy game. I like the camera. Its going to be a hell of a learning curve to try and keep a fleet organized. That, in itself adds to the realism.

PIerrick de Badas    1,121

You're loving the realism and the game how it is but you are in beta test. You, and I, are the perfect fanboy for this kind of game. But what would think the players, the ones that are needed to make this gae a succes?

How many hornblower for jack sparrows? 1 agaignst 50?

Think about that, open your mind

SeaDog    30

You're loving the realism and the game how it is but you are in beta test. You, and I, are the perfect fanboy for this kind of game. But what would think the players, the ones that are needed to make this gae a succes?

Just point to an audience of mature players. 
It's not necessary to make the game more arcade to make it popular, PotBS is perfect for those who want the arcade.  
You can't take the soul to a game so original like NA, only for those who get bored easily.

O'BrianFan    40

Taking this theory to it's final conclusion they should remove the sea and replace it with a bombed out city, swap the ship for a soldier, swap cannons for M16's.. there we go, now we've got a successful multi-player game!

There's no point in trying to reinvent PotBS.. it's been done.. PotBS!

Your comment in a previous post concerned me - that your team of hardened PotBS players found it hard to stick together and you gave up after a few minutes. After a handful of games, I would hope so. If this game can be mastered in a matter of minutes then it's not worth the code it's written in.

Leviathan    1,032

I think the developers have made it clear that they aren't going to try and please everyone. That just leads to a game losing it's identity and vision.

Inherently, some people won't like the game and that is okay. When Pirates Online closed down many tried to migrate to POTBS as a new home but the majority didn't like it. They couldn't adapt to the more advanced sailing system and the land combat. The games were just too different and that may be the case here as well. I think some need to quit trying to make this game into POTBS version 2 and let it be Naval Action.

Personally, I enjoy the challenge of the limited ship view and the pitching and rolling seas. Is it hard? Of course! However, that's part of the attractiveness of the game since there isn't any other online game that has this style of sailing. It's a very unique experience! For me, it's refreshing to not have magic sailing skills and auto-aiming broadsides. In the end this game may not be for you and that is okay if it's not. However, I would wait and see the final version before making that decision.

Saintduiex    448

Love:

1. The sailing mechanics
  2. Graphics
  3. Overall feel of the game which will take a dramatic increase when the game is expanded beyond current test parameters.

Improvement:

1. Any improvements are probably already taken into consideration for when you roll the game out, like ship selection, naming, lobby room graphics, better chat interface and who's on line, and the end of a battle when its you against the AI and you get sunk, etc. if those are not on your list then they are suggestions.
  2. I have read this everywhere and have to agree, sound. Sound adds a third dimension to the game beyond touch of your controls and visual. Its the most subtle but it is what absolutely "sucks you in" to the feel of sailing and battling. Cannon shot is fine, some improved commands, even if its only a loud "FIRE!" when you light up your cannons. But mostly some engaging dramatic music in the background. Nothing over the top but something that makes your heart stir as you are fight for your flag and country.

Hate:

1. Only one thing and that is getting broadsided by the AI ships from your own country. I have been in a marginal condition but still afloat and fighting and an AI teammate slips in behind me and fires at the enemy on the other side of me, blasting my bubblegum and bailing wire that was keeping me afloat. Fix that and the battle AI is pretty hard to improve on!   :rolleyes:

I really think you have an app that can make it as a long term sustainable addiction if the rest of the game is as playable and realistic as the current test version is.

:D