admin

Love and Hate Post

Dear testers

Please post this

• Three things you absolutely love in NA
  • Three things you want to be improved
  • Three things you absolutely hate

Bonus question to veteran testers.

• Three things from old testing rounds you liked more than current implementation.

I became a tester from two weeks and I have played more than 50 battles and 2 mass fleet battles. 
I think it's a bit premature to say what I hate or what I love in this state of development, but let's try. 

What i love.
  • I love definitely the way of realism undertaken
  • The idea of ​​a future open world 
  • Accurate reproduction of ship models

I think ''what I hate'' and ''what i want to be improved'' are the same thing. 

• Sounds: I would like to hear in a future crew noisier and convincing, the same thing the cannons, the sound is good but needs more contrast both near and distance.
  • The physics of the ship, sometimes you notice a strange behavior incompatible with the surrounding waves. 
  • The smoke should increase in density and white color.

Love:

- Graphics: The ship, the sea and the sky look great!

- Gameplay: Good mixture of simulation and action - PVP battles are big fun!

- Performance and stability: Although we are testing an early version, it's very stable and has good fps on my laptop.

Don't like:

- Collisions caused by AI, especially friendly AI.

- The text chat function in the game. Writing feels complicated, reading more than two short messages not possible.

- The lobby. I think it's only for testing and will be replaced later by a polished version? In future versions I would like to be able to select different mission types (smaller PVE) and different ships (once they are ready),

Love:

The graphics are stunning and improving all the time. The weather and environments are breathtaking.

Realism of the sailing/use of sails

Simulation vs Fun -  the balance seems good for the aim of the game

Hate:

No visual crew - and the statement that they won't be implemented

I can't think of anything else I would rate as "hate", so give me the above 3 times :angry: - not having a crew (they don't have to be synced with the exact ship activity, just moving about and maybe reloading cannons at the correct times) is a MASSIVE disappointment for me.

Improve: I would imagine these things are on the agenda anyway, but for sake of completeness

UI - less obtrusive (green/red circles taking up the middle of the screen) or even better, allow user customisation

Smoke isn't dense enough and is far too small in quantity, especially for a full broadside from a first rate like Victory

Adding the "world" - I know it's not really an improvement but a lot of care needs to be given in creating the arena that these fights are to take place in and the methods of earning new/improved ships, otherwise all the great work so far could be wasted

Hate:

No visual crew - and the statement that they won't be implemented

I can't think of anything else I would rate as "hate", so give me the above 3 times  :angry: - not having a crew (they don't have to be synced with the exact ship activity, just moving about and maybe reloading cannons at the correct times) is a MASSIVE disappointment for me.

hmm i can only remember that we might get crew after optimasation and only where we can see them from outside. but atleast 2 for each gun on the top deck and some random guys pulling ropes when adjusting the sails. maybe Admin can confirm this.

First of all i find it amazing how polish the game allready is in this early stage

+ Sailing mechanic

+ Grafik

+Physic

/ just the Victory only for stress testing is geting a little odd some change from time to time would be nice

/ some more weather types rain and storms where not unlikely on the sea but where all the time avoided and safty of the neares habour was searched.  

note: in 1968 the german destroyer ,,Bayern,, in the north sea got hit my an 8meter braker on port side: 2 life boats damaged 1 destroyed and !! the Twin 40mm turret got riped out of its anchoring and got trown 15meter towards the stern where it finally went overboard! imagine now in your head what would happend to real wooden ships, the legends of sea monsters have now a reason eh?

ruediger_bernoteit_hoehe_den_helder_gesc

- sinking by the hull armor damage taken above the waterline,

should normally be made with Caronadas since they if not penetrading the hull still makes cracks and lowers structural integrity

but 9lb topdeck guns on max range giving the ability to sink a ship by hiting the quaterdeck or forwardcastle kinda remembers me of the WoT weakspots: i.e. shoting the Lamp on a 300mm armor plate makes the tank explode. a bit to arcadelike for my taste specialy since we have realistic sailing and ship physics, it just dont fit int he overall picture of the gameplay.

that is the only thing i dislike at the moment but not really a deep hate.

• Three things from old testing rounds you liked more than current implementation.

I'll have to choose carefully for my other nine items... but it is quite difficult to come up with answers for this one. Regressions are few.

1) Chasers had a better aiming system when first introduced, as the transparent firing arc would indicate the range of the shot. Now the arc is static and ranging is almost down to dumb luck.

2) Simply shrinking the number of repairs from 3 to 2 doesn't solve anything. It moves in the wrong direction, imho. Repairs should be more plentiful but less powerful, based on available materials. Why does repairing the rudder prevent someone from raising a spare mast?

3) A tie between two things: Ships need slightly more deceleration.... ....customizable cannons will unbalance the testing PvP if the heavier guns have no drawbacks

Love:

The Open World development - I wasn't expecting it at such an early stage but it is what I'm looking forward to.

Weather, the waves are gorgeous and I'd like to see more of it

Manual Sailing that makes a difference

Hate:

Repair system. If my pump and rudder go in the first broadside I can't repair leaks? Not logical. I'm with Maturin on this one and it is by far my biggest "hate"

High perspective of chasers

Mast and Rigging damage in general - I understand this has not been the focus

Improve: Of course it goes without saying that everything i hate should be improved. but here are a few more

Improve shot selection - allow different type shot for different gundecks

Improve cannon sounds - the shots in the distance sound awesome. They are deep throaty barks but our ships sound like muskets (I know.... I'm exaggerating some here)

Improve mast damage effects - i.e. turning penalties and capabilities.

Love...

1. The realism of the ships and the environment such as the lighting on the water and how it changes color

2. Weather elements such as the large waves and the hazy horizon

3. The aiming system. It's not perfect and the chasers are sometimes hard to aim but overall I like this manual type of aiming system. Especially how the waves can block your shots.

To be improved...

1. The sound is improved but i'd still like the cannon fire to be a little more upfront and personal especially at close ranges. I wouldn't mind being startled by the cannon fire on occasion. 

2. The damage system. Overall it's good and I really like having that amount of visible damage but there are some bugs with the textures. Sail damage as others have mentioned.

3. This is in the future, but personally I really hope to see the open world developed to enrich the game. 3b. I'm not sure the extent of weather elements you have developed but I hope we see more extensive weather conditions like rain, lightning, and even larger seas. I'm all for wicked storms.

Hate...

1. The ship AI. They have no idea where you are and will ram into you and sometimes tie you up for 5 minutes

2. I can't say that I hate it, but I'm not a fan of the current chat. It's a pain to switch back and forth and the messages don't say visible for very long.

3. This kind of ties in with the chat but the lack of a cursor bothers me sometimes in battle......Overall just general UI improvements which i'm sure you have planned. The function of the current UI is fine to me but a refined look would be nice.

Please fix the ring in the spotting scope! Those jagged pixels really clash with the rest of the awesome graphics.

Love

1)graphics

2)1st person point of view with lack of extensive minimap (radar)

3)in depth sailing characteristics with realistic moving, turning, and drifting

Dislike

1)on occasion wind direction and wave direction dont correlate. May have been fixed already.

2)playing with ai

3)the fact that every ship will sink and not stike its colors. From most accounts I have read, sinking wasnt as common as it is in na. This is probably something mentioned elsewhere.

Keep up the great work. You guys are by far the best dev team I have ever had the experience to playtest for in relation to listening to feedback from testers.

Dear testers

Please post this

- Graphism

- Realism

- You listening to us

- Repair: You never work on it don't you? 2 is not enought and noone will ever use any repair to anything else than armor exept if broken rudder don't allow to turn or broken pump don't allow you to pump. If you want realism let's roll on it, why should my rudder/pump auto repair red to yellow? Let them broke and force me to repair them but with dedicaced rapir as mast repair etc or noone will ever use any other repair than armor

- Damage model: Not accurate for me sailing and mast should be splitted and sails/masts damage should make different action

- Wind: Static wind in force and direction is bad and make majority of ship flee the wind. make it turn to not have a brawl  battle played on a line...

- Interface ig/lobby

- Some weather are average good but i don't feel in tempest for example. No sound of wind, no raind, i'm not in a tempest just looking big waves. It decrease my pleasure as it decrease my immersion in the universe.

-  I feel a bit boring. I don't know why because what you made is a really good games but it miss something that make me the wish to come back and play again. Probably the lack of players or lack of goals but i hate to see i don't want to launch the game.

- Carronade/gunnery. Why the hell to use carronade when it's making you not able to play exept in +++short range. Exept if you add boarding, i don't see the sens to go short range as soon as you see the ennemy ship use carronade. Just kite him to the death. Occures for me in some battle, relaly frustating

Everything is going in th good direction and i would not change anything that i add now  VS something i add before

Edited 7/17/14

things i love:

graphics both for the ships and water

being able to manually sail

the ideas of open world in the future

ranging shots. 

overall gameplay, its fun and keeps my attention for the full battle whether I'm alive or not.

things i hate:

the painted on damage, would like to see better damage visuals in the future for both the hull and the sails/ masts 

the ai is absolutely stupid and needs to be improved it keeps running into me haha

the chat feature in game, get stuck in it and had difficulty exiting out of it in the pvp battle. 

when ships sink they go straight down. would like to see a better sinking animation. 

things that can be improved:

adding in signaling between ships (at least during battles) and instead of floating name over ship use pennants and then when you zoom in with the telescope have some brief information about the ship you are looking at like player name, ship name, speed, damage info, how many guns.

sounds for the entire game

damage model needs to be tweaked just slightly for added realism

adding more crew

cannon animation when firing and reloading

boarding sequence?

after reading some other users comments i would also like to add in a captains cabin where we can look at charts, winds, and other useful data. 

What I Love

1) The Graphics are just amazing.

2) The look of the ships and the guns firing.

3) I Love the telescope, genius idea and it really adds too the game.

Things I Dislike

1) Their should be more smoke and it should last longer.

2) The cannons firing dosen't really sound realistic.

What I Love

Things I Dislike

1) Their should be more smoke and it should last longer.

2) The cannons firing dosen't really sound realistic.

Everybody wants more smoke, im sure the devs do too. You have to remember that adding everything we want (smoke, damage, sail animations) will take away from game performance. I would rather have a game that plays smoothly in a 25v25 and sacrifice some graphics.

hello all,I just love the game, or at least what I have played so far, even so tratere to summarize what I like, the least and I would like to have:

what most impressed me from the start of the test was the atmosphere of the game, with the overwhelming sound of the guns in the distance, the smoke effect i got this very light effects burst of the cannon is simply sublime, personally have some great screenshots in this regard (though not as good as they are SeaWolf or Seadog :). too me like slick effect that create the impact of cannon balls and even more destruction of masts is simply a treat for the eyes to see the pieces of the boat jumping into pieces each  impact.and what about the sea ... the more spectacular than one might expect ,and I've not had chance to see the engine running storm, I can only imagine the best.

that's what I do not like? not being able to play the full game with thousands of players plying what surely will be a world-full of life.But open sea patience is a virtue and that we are left over here :)

I would like to find in the game imagine that each of us we must have a different concept of what will be the full game, personally, I would like to have the option of free will, ie:? able to have the actual decision to be inside or outside the law, being a pirate or bounty hunter, with all the consequences this may bring, or admiral of a ship of the royal Navy of any naciones.o to be simply an adventurer, with the option to discover relics, one could make a quest system with realistic approach acclimated the actual history of the time in which you will develop the game (to some extent) also would be an option to get rich with the merchandise or contraband, no forget that precisely this was the golden era of naval "business", and only the most reckless managed to reach port safely load, so it could be a real challenge (besides beneficial) transporting the boat full to the stops spices, fabrics i gemstones from calicut to london, or tabacco,coffe  and rum from the island of St. John to Spain, trying to avoid the British ( or not English: D) pirates, so then being able to sell the goods at the best bidder via market-player?, and so could continue to infinity, because after having tried the battles just have to wait, and surely all this will come sublime.

Thanks for asking our opinion, I have to say that I have read very good ideas here, hopefully will end up carrying out :) Greetings!!!

Everybody wants more smoke, im sure the devs do too. You have to remember that adding everything we want (smoke, damage, sail animations) will take away from game performance. I would rather have a game that plays smoothly in a 25v25 and sacrifice some graphics.

i agree with the performance aspect but if they want to make a realistic 17-18th century naval game these things are a part of it (the smoke the damage and the sails). now maybe add a feature which will allow you to turn on or off "realistic damage/effects" so that way players have the choice of using them or not. in terms of right now im happy where the game is in terms of smoke and the way the sails look but could be tweaked slightly to add more realism and in terms of visual damage im assuming they are going to wait further down the road to improve it since it will take some time to develop full on 3d damage for the ship and sails but for now the painted on damage works just needs to be worked on slightly to get over paint on cannons and windows fixed. 

Won't comment on open world since it doesn't exist yet, but obviously it is the dream for most of us. Also won't comment on the AI ships as I think we are meant to hate them. :D Likewise, I understand the UI to placeholder, and that some elements and presentation may be just for testing, so probably not time to comment on that yet. I would also like to say I am thrilled and honored to participate in testing and to be asked to comment at all. You seem to have a great culture of honest, two-way conversation here.

Love

1. Beautiful, living ocean. Waves feel like more than an animation. I can only imagine how stunning it will be in its potential variety.

2. Exquisite ship models with an impressive commitment to accuracy.

3. Manual sailing and gunnery. Combined with the sea, this makes you feel like the ship has a real presence in the world, and is affected by actual physical forces. No pressing buttons, no magic. With further refinement, I think the sailing model will offer enormous depth while still being intuitive to pick up and learn.

Hate (such a strong word ;) )

1. Ships sinking easily and quickly. Takes away potential variety in tactics and outcomes. Nothing dramatic about a ship-of-the-line going to the bottom if it happens routinely.

2. Lifeless ship due to paltry crew and static guns. I know resources may not allow, but it really takes away from the otherwise impressive feeling of a living, fighting ship. Plus, could be used to visually convey information on the status of a ship (massive casualties, preparing to board, knocked out guns, etc.)

3. The disembodied, unnatural viewpoints. Would love to see, for example, a quarterdeck "captain's" view affected to some degree by the motion of the ship, or a view directly down the barrel of the forward chaser you are about to fire.

Areas for Improvement

1. Damage model and repair system.

2. Sound.

3. Pre-battle organization and deployment.

Love:

* Graphics are great. I like the victory ship model I have been able to play with so far

* Love the sea but it does seem too uniform and does not show depth by colour variation or wind by roughness.

* Love the aiming mechanic. How it gets narrower and allows the guns to be turned slightly up down right or left. Love the fact that I have to wait for the ship to roll to the correct point.

* Love the way the sails change before my very eyes

* Love the see through sails option since I cannot run around deck to l look past them myself or have the crew give me feedback.

* Like the way I can prioritise the crew.

* This game has the basics of a great sailing game the likes of we have not seen since, well pretty much it has never been done yet!

Hate:

* Little or no crew. Not being able to walk around and explore the deck.

* No delay in orders as the crew carry them out, no crew repeating orders back to me. This is also why we need to see crew climbing etc. So the player understands it takes time to carry out orders.

* AI running into me. Solution here may be to have more spacing between ships?

* Ships sink instead of catching fire or the magazine blowing

* Damage does not seem to be locational, you cannot hull a ship or aim for the deck or cannon crew.

* When turning the ship I should be able to choose how many points to turn it and then leave it to the crew. I hate holding the turn button down like an FPS

* No current indicator... the weatherguage included current ,smoke blowing towards the enemy and leaving your view clear and wind as well as depth. Would love to hear depth sounding.

* No way to drop anchor yet?

* No boarding action mechanic at all?

* No marines firing or being able to be given orders

* No morale mechanic where the men may panic or be roused by the captain etc

* No ship customisation yet, no way to take ship to port and scrape her clean for instance. Bribing the quartermaster in port.

* No actual weatherplan as far as I can tell. The wind may change sure but does it change higher or lower or reverse for the ships ahead while mine is still unchanged?

* No chance for the crew to screw up and drop a sail or foul ropes etc depending on skill level. I would like to see how many lubbers I picked up last replacement drive ;)

* No chance for the rigging to snap or be damaged with the wrong sail plan in heavy weather. It would be good to be able to "strain" the ship in an emergency with the chance for the ship to simply break. (lose a mast). Am I able to shoot out a rudder?

* No need to order cutting away of broken masts etc that would be dragging the ship. I would like to be presented with all the damage and battle decisions of a ship getting blasted in battle.

* No strategic retreat or reason to currently.

* I would love to be able to give the order to run the guns out and have the ports open and the men push the guns out "clear for action". In the same way that MechWarrior online has the mech startup sequence to excite us.

* Not being able to manually choose where to put the crew. For instance I might simply want all the crew on one gun side to reload faster and forget the other side. Or put the crew on one side to help right the ship.

* not being able to send up and call back look outs.

Areas for improvement:

* It would be cool to have another officer tell me about a ship and what has been identified on it so far when looking down the glass. "hms victory sir, a fine 1st rate with 32 pounders. She is made of doubled oak construction that our guns will not penetrate. We best stay clear of her broadside I should think" Something like that. You could press "e" to interrupt him and say "thankyou Mr Higgins, carry on". If you had heard it before. But eventually if the game does well their should be 40 different ship types and hundreds within each that are individually decked out with their own name.

* I start in the middle of nowhere with no briefing at all or chance to get the weatherguage on the enemy. Would be good to have a pre-game chance to move around before zooming to the battle in sight of each other?

Love:

Graphique good.

Areas for improvement :

Radar= 800 wear and 1000  = fire cannons maximum

et ship Visual.

Damages too higt, the Lees ( drop lees)

views psy-glass long way distant =1000 yard + round

Love:

- implementation of gunnery and sailing -> sailing is very neat!

- The over all estetics of the game.. Simply stunning and every time I get into a battle I take some time staring at the beauty you created.

- I adore the progress the game is going along. you devs are simply an awesome bunch!

improvements:

- mast/ sail damage

- Gunnery: give us the possibility to either shoot in divisions or tell the gunners to shoot from bow to stern (more in the hate- section).

you could implement such features in the gunnery-TAB: "from bow-stern"; "at once"; "in divisions".

- tweaks to the damage visuals (the area at wich the paint is bleached out looks way too much) and rework on gunsounds at near distance

hate:

- right now Id love to sail Frigates again :P

- The moment when I have a clear sternshotwith a full broadside loaded and only a very minor percentage of the whole 50 cannons hit home.. (look at improvement-section on how to possibly solve this)

Three things from old testing rounds:

tbh,

there is not a thing I miss from old builds.

Some may say the old firing system was better but it was totally easy mode in combination with tracking shots.

Right now the game is as good as it can be.

IMHO!

ps:

give us back the frigates to play in the next build =)

pro:

- trackingshots

- different calibres on a ship

- more advanced sailing mechanics compared to other age of sail games (though I hope this will be even more advanced in the future)

- graphics

- possibility to choose which gun deck should fire/ advanced gun control

- accurate ship details (at least for Victory)

- fifes :D

contra:

- hull damage system

- sail, mast, rigging damage

- cannons sometimes doesn't shoot

- still only Victory playable. I would be fine with that, but where's the point, if you could receive also feedback for Surprise and Constitution at the same time.

improvements:

- first person ship deck (I really want this, and I am very sure, a lot of other people want this too)

- UI

- AI

- crew

- marines, snipers during battle (musket volleys)

- sound of crew

- sound depending on situation (rough)

- sound of cannons

- possibility to close gun ports (which WOULD seems now in rough sea very usefull for lower gun deck)

- more dense white smoke for shooting cannon

- interior for stern cabin

- different cannons are only shown on the upper gundeck. If I choose no guns for a side the Victorys upper gundeck has no guns but the lower gun decks have

- more movement in sails being hit

- Sails look too clean

- rolling broadside

- tactics screend before battle to choose formation

That's it for now. I will continue thinking about it

I think they said this for a reason:

Please post this

I guess the aim of this thread is to find out whats the highest priority for users at this point.

Love and hate are very strong words.

I love the graphics.

I really like the gunnery interface, it's very easy to move to different gun positions.   It just needs a way to fit a rolling broadside in there.

I Love Ctrl-H mode.

I hate the high tech enemy damage indicator in the upper right corner.

I dislike the that turning on auto sail is like firing afterburners and the yards swing so quickly when we turn our ship.

I hate the name tags floating over ships, it's probably a necessary evil for multi player battles, but I would like to see them gone in the open world.

It seems like everything improves with each new build so it's hard to come up with something from the past...

I liked sailing frigates but I know they will be back.

It was before my time, but I think i read somewhere that ships with full sail would tip over if they swung into a beam reach, that would nice for the hardcore server.

Maybe we could try the old storm gunnery so we stop complaining about how steady the guns are.

A great game, developers!   Just be sure to make a game you guys want to play.

love the graphics

love the ability to controll the sails

love the ability to change out the cannons per deck  (amo per deck would be nice)

improve

sound needs improving cannonfire stc.

improve patches add a couple. may be specific like lash a 30' mast to a broken one 

The chat function in the game dissapears to fast

Dislike
 The AI Ships.  may be we could order the allys where to go instead of into me

The MAGICALLY re-appearing Masts ships carried spars, and perhaps a spair bow sprit
but i have yet to hear of a ship with a 100-150' spair mast in its hold (maybe a 25'-30'poll to jury 
rig a temporay sail to.

Ships sinking too easy and fast would'nt mind seeing one roll over, or go down by the bow

Since ive been here a short time ill use the veteran for this;

would like to see a captians cabin with maps, charts, preveling wind,current,depth listed'
ability to chart/plot your course maybe to pin/mark other ships headdings that you spotted
ability to controll packing of stores (naval ships) powdre, shot, sails, rigging patches spair (MAST) if it fits etc.
Cargo for merchant men

special pennants for special players ex. testers, designers, players who contribuite ive seen lots of tallent out there
and ability to raise signal flags.  in battle would be cool for signaling allys, or at least as a personal id

chillly willy

Well like so many others, I love the graphics. I absolutely cannot wait to see the more ornamented ships in game.

I love the combat mechanics.

And I just simply love the game. It gets a lot right, looks amazing, feels great.

I'm hard pressed to find things to improve, that aren't a given. The UI would be my biggest gripe, the game needs a fancy UI to fit the game, and perhaps make the whole experience more manageable. Oh and improved cannon sounds.

But, most things are a given, like the small graphical glitches, the AI and the chat.

There's really nothing I hate about it.

I'm a new tester, so I need more experience to truly get to know the game as well as the older testers do, but I'm looking forward to it.