Game-Labs Forum

In-game compass needs 32 points, not 24.

On 15/8/2017 at 7:57 PM, Prater said:

The game data goes off speed for points of sail for every 15 degrees, so having a 32 point compass wouldn't match with what is in game.  Also, our compass is pretty small.  If we could hit a key to bring up a larger compass, it would probably be beneficial, but we would still need the ability to look at a 24 point compass for speed reasons.

I don't understand, what game data is this?

I kind of agree that there would be a bit too much clutter with a 32-point compass in-game if we keep the same size, but rather than having the 24-point compass then, I'd much prefer a simple 16-point, and you can approximate the additional points in between. However, then it would be nice to have all the 16 points marked clearly (with a marking at the exact points also for W, SW, S, SE, etc.).

Perhaps a larger compass could be accessed through pressing M and selecting it in there - it could show all 32 points, but also your current heading with an increased accuracy.

Edited by Niels Terkildsen
12-point corrected to 16-point.

On 05/11/2017 at 6:41 PM, Niels Terkildsen said:

Something like this would be great in-game, I think:

JLhTYNf.png

It doesn't look more cluttered than the old compass, but it lets you use the 32-point system quite accurately even though it only shows 16.

I really don't like that sorry. It looks simple but in port battles the extra precision is useful