Game-Labs Forum

[PVP2] Server "Health"

Arsilon

This game has many issues to solve.

Port Battles - they need to fix mechanics so they are more relevant and u just cant fast cap multiple ports in one evening.

Ships - as we tier up the smaller ships become less relevant.

PVP - if the contingents r not close to even, then its 1.5 hours of running or chasing.

Port Timers - the timers can be abused - and if a Governor is no longer in the game, the controlling faction cannot adjust the timer. 

Nation Player base imbalance - thats a tough one - dont know how u fix this.

With respect to the Franco/Swedish vs Britain War, PvP combat will always be on the fringes of your territory.  The Diplo and Forum chat by the combatants flavor the conflict.  You put out the call for the fleet to form and who ever shows up, thats your evenings entertainment.

John Bernard [TCF]

• Like 5

This game has many issues to solve.

Port Battles - they need to fix mechanics so they are more relevant and u just cant fast cap multiple ports in one evening.

Ships - as we tier up the smaller ships become less relevant.

PVP - if the contingents r not close to even, then its 1.5 hours of running or chasing.

Port Timers - the timers can be abused - and if a Governor is no longer in the game, the controlling faction cannot adjust the timer. 

Nation Player base imbalance - thats a tough one - dont know how u fix this.

With respect to the Franco/Swedish vs Britain War, PvP combat will always be on the fringes of your territory.  The Diplo and Forum chat by the combatants flavor the conflict.  You put out the call for the fleet to form and who ever shows up, thats your evenings entertainment.

John Bernard [TCF]

I'd agree with the bulk of this with the caveat that I actually don't mind the chase. I can see how it's an issue, though.

• Like 3

Roberts has gone from mildly annoying and someone to laugh at, to down right insulting people.  Act your age mate... I can't believe this has to be said. 

As for the topic.  I agree with PURGE and OMG.  If you want to keep players around you need to have fun.  The current port battle mechanics are reinforcment mechanics are the biggest preventors of fun from happening and I don't think any patch will be a "major content update" until those issues are addressed because currently they are the most unfun and cause 95% of arguments and disputes on the forums.

I agree that the grinding is a bit much for people that don't play every day.  Hell, I didn't get on once this weekend because it was my 21st birthday and I was seeing my family and friends.  While people that play more should rank up faster (obviously) and should have an advantage in skill and ship, I don't think it should be the case where the guys that play more can win without a fight even occuring like the current BR mechanic works.  

Edited by Michel de Toulouse
  • Like 2

Roberts has gone from mildly annoying and someone to laugh at, to down right insulting people.  Act your age mate... I can't believe this has to be said. 

As for the topic.  I agree with PURGE and OMG.  If you want to keep players around you need to have fun.  The current port battle mechanics are reinforcment mechanics are the biggest preventors of fun from happening and I don't think any patch will be a "major content update" until those issues are addressed because currently they are the most unfun and cause 95% of arguments and disputes on the forums.

i agree with the reinforcement part as it become a "come fight me on my turf" then just strait up pvp fight.

It is more a case of false advertisement, if current advantage in the PvP2 server is weighted towards those that pve.  We just want the pvp server to remain as such.  If the server is to remain as it is, then the title of the server should be altered to reflect its milder status.

It is more a case of false advertisement, if current advantage in the PvP2 server is weighted towards those that pve.  We just want the pvp server to remain as such.  If the server is to remain as it is, then the title of the server should be altered to reflect its milder status.

Change it to PVP/PVE simple as that, though having only PVP and no PVE is a dumb idea and would be boring as it takes hours to get anywhere for a fight, just bring back sea trials.

Maybe PVE/PVP sever

Complaining on the forums isn't going to help you, you need to start grinding. If you're too lazy for grinding the fleets, then the blame is on you, not other players.

That is a quote of desperation. Now I know you're feeling it -- the same thing the pirates felt before they quit.

Sons of Britain encountered the pirates at Aves, realized they'd been outleveled, and went off to grind. 4 weeks of grinding later, you are finally ready, only now the pirates are gone and the French aren't up to the levels required to play your game. Whoops?

In desperation, you (and especially Roberts) want to taunt us into grinding levels. No doubt you will aim to capture ports rapidly in an effort to spur us on.

But most likely the problem is already set. You want us to grind up to a point where we can fight you? Okay, fine, let's say we do that. What are you going to do for the next 4 weeks while we run off and grind up like you did? Will you do the same thing the pirates did? Quit? Are we going to spend the next 4 weeks grinding up only to find out there's nobody to fight again, just like is happening to you, and just like already happened to the pirates? (Is that what happened to the U.S. as well? Where are they?)

It's bad game design really -- or more charitably it's a side effect of the place-holder port battle system -- but it's also you choosing to play in the manner you do rather than, well, fun stuff, like open sea PvP hunting.

I'm sure you and Roberts would say, "lol! That's why we're the best and you can't stop us!" but the pirates said that exact same thing. And then they got bored and quit.

We will set up outposts in free ports and gank your teammates and have a great time doing it, and we'll mostly do it in ships like Surprises and Snows (and maybe Trincs, because, you know, Trincs) and we will still be having fun while you guys are conducting your 15th PvT empty port battle and wondering why you even bothered to log on.

The reality is you have put yourself into a very boring position where the game simply may not be able to offer you the fun you want and I don't even know where to suggest you go look for it, other than to say "quit and come back in a month or two". You can PvT every port on the map, but learn something from the pirates: it's really not that fun and you will lose members over it and this game will end up with a few more negative Steam reviews, not from us, but from your own terminally bored members.

I don't know why I try really. The pirates didn't listen either. My whole experience with enemies in this game is one big long "I told you so".

Edited by Slamz

I was there when this started with WIS and TCF, was great fun the first couple of days. We where all in about the same size ships with the same size groups and the PvP and PB's were fun. Then came the zerg and 4 to 5 new clans appeared (this was our fear), all in Trincs and 3rd rates. The last PB I was in was a joke of a PB, when we got there, which was about 5 mins into the battle, they had 3 towers down already and the last two under fire. We were out numbered 23 to 18 (this is about all we can muster a night) and out gunned as half our fleet was Surprises or lower, and instead of Pvping they just killed the last two towers and left. Boring! It is POTBS all over again with now you must be 3rd rate or better to join PB, and soon to be first rates only. It is dull boring game play, you know it, I know it, we all know it, so lets figure ways to not make it boring.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby
Removed reference to hidden content.
  • Like 6

Slamz,

"We will set up outposts in free ports and gank your teammates and have a great time doing it, and we'll mostly do it in ships like Surprises and Snows (and maybe Trincs, because, you know, Trincs) and we will still be having fun while you guys are conducting your 15th PvT empty port battle and wondering why you even bothered to log on."

You know we do not just do boring Port Battles. Many of us form a squad or fleet and go on patrols into enemy territory. Challenge accepted. Bring it! We will have a blast!

Edited by HMCS Warrior

You know we do not just do boring Port Battles. Many of us form a squad or fleet and go on patrols into enemy territory. Challenge accepted. Bring it! We will have a blast!

Excellent. That is how the game is built to be played!

Hey guys if i also complain, cry about bullshit and hate on Britain can I also have likes?

Yes they did. I am not blaming you. It's an arms race. OMG are working towards the same thing and even the Swedes. Everyone will eventually have to do this on every pvp server. Even on the OS the only ships we would see now are third rates and Trincomelees. I suspect that is mostly because the Tricoms can chase or it would just be all third rates.

If I seem angry I am angry at the game. I had such high hopes for it. We're only one month in and the pixel carribean is already filled with more third rates that the real world ever saw. Next month it's going to be Victory's. That's a PVE grind I'm just not willing to do. At the brig and frig level the game is awesome. At the rate ship level it's a second PVE job. Just picture what new players joining the game next month would see ahead of them to RVR. Most of them will just turn away. That grind is not healthy for the game or even in real life.

My suggestion, new players need to be RVR viable in their second week of game play. Currently we're drifting far far away from this. I think the ratio of shallow ports to deep should much higher to increase the relevance of shallow ports to give new players more opportunity. Rate ships should somehow be more rare and likely not achievable through NPC grinding. Maybe some kind of award from the government for pvp service or something. But they need to be more rare or they simply dominate the arms race and it becomes a necessity to RVR. Probably should also be another captains rank between Tricom and 3rd rate. That BR jump is just to huge and seems to make the Connie somewhat useless.

On a side note you said "French are to lazy to grind up to the ships they need". You call not doing that grind lazy. I call it not getting a divorce and losing the house and kids. Please pull your head out of your butt before you go saying things like that.

Not my fault people are married and have kids MATE, I was smart enough not to do those things and now look at all the free time I have... stop complaining.

Edited by Lord Roberts
  • Like 3

This thread has become ridiculous, with our British players now the subject of derision because what? We enjoy playing the game? We're now the bad guys for logging on, having a good time, and training up our lower ranks against AI fleets? 

You're all just desperately looking for a scapegoat, I don't think it's productive to frame more dedicated players as what's wrong with the game. Power imbalances are ubiquitous in MMOs until players hit the level cap, which will happen soon. 

I would have quit this game long ago if all there was to do was to gank traders/ lone noobs. Like I said in my previous post, we have no PVP around Jamaica -- the capturing of ports more distant to Jamaica is just an attempt to move a front line closer to the PVP.

So what are the solutions proposed here? Gank our players then run and play dock games, or complain we brought too much force to bear on those harassing our forces? Stop fighting AI fleets (the only thing that gives our casual players reliable content when they long in)? Cool... Sounds like a lot of fun...

The game needs mechanisms to provide good PVP content to players, I agree. Perhaps this could be achieved with instances popping up on the map. Something like 'Beached Treasure Ship [small]' to give the lower tier players something to fight over. Something like King of the Hill with a passive gold income for being inside the circle. 

One thing you don't need to worry about is Britain gong the way of the Pirates (many of whom didn't quit, but joined France and Sweden) we have a really solid base of players who are passionate about the game, the age of sail, and crushing other factions under our bootheel. Don't rely on those factors changing any time soon.

• Like 5

This thread has become ridiculous, with our British players now the subject of derision because what? We enjoy playing the game? We're now the bad guys for logging on, having a good time, and training up our lower ranks against AI fleets? 

You're all just desperately looking for a scapegoat, I don't think it's productive to frame more dedicated players as what's wrong with the game. Power imbalances are ubiquitous in MMOs until players hit the level cap, which will happen soon. 

I would have quit this game long ago if all there was to do was to gank traders/ lone noobs. Like I said in my previous post, we have no PVP around Jamaica -- the capturing of ports more distant to Jamaica is just an attempt to move a front line closer to the PVP.

So what are the solutions proposed here? Gank our players then run and play dock games, or complain we brought too much force to bear on those harassing our forces? Stop fighting AI fleets (the only thing that gives our casual players reliable content when they long in)? Cool... Sounds like a lot of fun...

The game needs mechanisms to provide good PVP content to players, I agree. Perhaps this could be achieved with instances popping up on the map. Something like 'Beached Treasure Ship [small]' to give the lower tier players something to fight over. Something like King of the Hill with a passive gold income for being inside the circle. 

One thing you don't need to worry about is Britain gong the way of the Pirates (many of whom didn't quit, but joined France and Sweden) we have a really solid base of players who are passionate about the game, the age of sail, and crushing other factions under our bootheel. Don't rely on those factors changing any time soon.

0mKXcg1.gif?noredirect

• Like 1

giphy.gif

anigif_enhanced-buzz-6485-1364321320-3.g

Edited by Lord Roberts

This thread really has nothing to do with Sons of Britain.  No one is complaining about the fact you've chosen to grind.  No one is complaining you are rolling port battles at this point.  This thread has nothing to do with you.  What it has to do with is whether or not how various parties have chosen to play is healthy for the game in the long run.  What this thread is about is whether or not the mechanics in game and how various nations/clans/individuals have chosen to use them is impacting their ability to maintain interest in the game and can encourage an environment of fun for players that have been around for a while as well as any new ones that come along.

Somehow you think comments here are specific attacks on you and your clan when instead its people questioning whether the path you've chosen is in the long run best interest of the game.  Instead of getting defensive and claiming that other people are too lazy to go grind so they can drive as big ships as you, the question really should be, was the grind fun?  Do you think it would be fun for other people?  Not that they should just suck it up and go do it.   By doing it is that really what the game should be about?

What does it mean for a new player joining the game now?  What happens to a new player that wants to play Spain or Denmark?  Is this the path that we should be encouraging or will we end up losing players faster than we can add them?

Check your ego at the door for a second since this isn't about you.  Its about play styles and game mechanics you may have chosen to use and therefore are an example that can be pointed to.  But it really has nothing to do with you specifically or your clan.

• Like 2

This thread really has nothing to do with Sons of Britain.  No one is complaining about the fact you've chosen to grind.  No one is complaining you are rolling port battles at this point.  This thread has nothing to do with you.  What it has to do with is whether or not how various parties have chosen to play is healthy for the game in the long run.  What this thread is about is whether or not the mechanics in game and how various nations/clans/individuals have chosen to use them is impacting their ability to maintain interest in the game and can encourage an environment of fun for players that have been around for a while as well as any new ones that come along.

Somehow you think comments here are specific attacks on you and your clan when instead its people questioning whether the path you've chosen is in the long run best interest of the game.  Instead of getting defensive and claiming that other people are too lazy to go grind so they can drive as big ships as you, the question really should be, was the grind fun?  Do you think it would be fun for other people?  Not that they should just suck it up and go do it.   By doing it is that really what the game should be about?

What does it mean for a new player joining the game now?  What happens to a new player that wants to play Spain or Denmark?  Is this the path that we should be encouraging or will we end up losing players faster than we can add them?

Check your ego at the door for a second since this isn't about you.  Its about play styles and game mechanics you may have chosen to use and therefore are an example that can be pointed to.  But it really has nothing to do with you specifically or your clan.

It's a general attack on Britain and thus an attack on Sob too because we are apart of Britain and its largest clan.

The grind was fun for a lot of people, it allowed us to get good ships to use in PVP, without the AI fleets to grind what would this game be? it would be hundreds of players going after low levels and traders and the enemy constantly running and hiding in ports... if this game has no AI fleets it would lose even more people than it already is.

Edited by Lord Roberts
  • Like 1

You Brits are lost again.

This thread is about the health of the server which I believe Slamz post pretty much sums it up. The French are healthy. They are healthy because we don't spend too much time grinding NPC's.

You don't have to grind fleets to get bigger ships. You can grind Brits as well. Its a little slower but the end result is the same only more fun. Since it is quite apparent that the Brits just don't get the French let me translate Slamz post for you.  

Grinding NPC's is dull and will chase people away from the game. The better way to grind is through PVP.  That way no matter what the results of the Port Battles your nation will be healthier. (again, this thread is about the health of nations on the server)

Slamz post is not a complaint but a warning to everyone out there doing nothing but grinding NPC's. The majority of players grinding NPC's won't be playing this game in a month and those teams will suffer attrition of players because the game will feel dull to them. Feel free to continue but you will pay for those actions later. Spending most of your time PVPing and leveling that way will make this game more fun and therefore lesson the attrition rate.

If you wish to disagree with Slamz argument on those merits feel free but at least make a small attempt to improve your reading comprehension and put the discussion in the topics relevance.

Wow.  I take it that you guys go out in your highly valued Mercuries searching far and wide for human opponents so you can simply play PvP..... But you know,  I have been plying the seas quite a bit and I have yet to see you guys and your fleet of frigates.  Where are you exactly?  I see PvP pirates, but French....not so much.

Fleeting is a logical exercise.  It is a part of the game.  Why do you think that there are AI fleets in the first place?  Eye candy for the Open World?  Seriously.  If you aren't working your folks up the chain, then you are failing your clan.  Pure and simple.  If you don't, well, enjoy your lieutenant bars.

-Ski

• Like 2

It's a general attack on Britain and thus an attack on Sob too because we are apart of Britain and it's largest clan.

There was no attack.  Go read again.  Britain was used as an example to ask about whether or not focusing on the grind and the resulting impact on BR balance/PVP/PB's is a good for the game.  Its a fair question and if you take yourself out of it, one that probably deserves some discussion.

this isn't about you.  Its about play styles and game mechanics you may have chosen to use and therefore are an example that can be pointed to.  But it really has nothing to do with you specifically or your clan.

^ This.