Game-Labs Forum

Crafting notes and all other level items with level requirements should give XP

Not saying it should give as much as making a ship does but 1xp per note is bs. Making parts and botes should give at least some xp but not be a good way to level fast. Half xp / hour vs ship would be a good balance imho..

Eh, but again, that's partly what currently gives crafting notes value. The only people who craft notes at the moment are the ones who want to make money, not necessarily the ones who want to level up craft XP.

If crafting notes gave out a load of XP for the few materials required to make them, then everyone would be crafting the notes to level up, and they would quickly become so numerous as to be worthless.

I would favor reducing the XP level needed to make each grade of note, so that those who aren't die hard crafters, but still need money, could pop out a medium or high quality note every now and then to put a bit of gold in their pocket.

Maybe to make low grade notes you could be craft level 5, medium notes level 10, and high grade level 20.

I crafted about 30 notes before I ever left the Bahamas and rolled French on PVP 2, I was only about level 15, most of that was reached by crafting crap and lynxes.

It's anyone's guess what level crafter I would be if those notes had come with more XP when I made them, but I was FILTHY RICH, lol.

Edited by ajffighter86
  • Like 1

Also, my clan is actually considering organizing port-cap exhanges with neighbors just to get notes. I think the fact we're even thinking about this is a symptom of how bad the situation is.

People think of cheating and taking short cuts in any situation.  

It's a fallacy to believe it is a symptom of anything other than human nature and an evaluation of opportunity costs.

Eh, but again, that's what currently gives crafting notes value. The only people who craft notes at the moment are the ones who want to make money, not necessarily the ones who want to level up craft XP.

If crafting notes gave out a load of XP for the few materials required to make them, then everyone would be crafting the notes to level up, and they would quickly become so numerous as to be worthless.

I would favor reducing the XP level needed to make each grade of note, so that those who aren't die hard crafters, but still need money could pop out a medium or high quality note every now and then to put a bit of gold in their pocket.

I think a conversion of note type would be better suited.  

3-5 Lower level for 1 medium 

3-5 Medium for one high

All costing 1 -5 hours to produce.

High level crafting hours are valuable, low level crafting hours are cheap, and it should stay that way.

I think a conversion of note type would be better suited.  

3-5 Lower level for 1 medium 

3-5 Medium for one high

All costing 1 -5 hours to produce.

High level crafting hours are valuable, low level crafting hours are cheap, and it should stay that way.

Are you suggesting adding in low grade notes to make higher notes in addition to the gold/coal needed? I sort of like the idea, but I could see there being a massive copper shortage, and almost as bad of a silver shortage if low/medium notes were able to be combined to make high quality notes.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

Are you suggesting adding in low grade notes to make higher notes in addition to the gold/coal needed? I sort of like the idea, but I could see there being a massive copper shortage, and almost as bad of a silver shortage if low/medium notes were able to be combined to make high quality notes.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're suggesting.

Not in addition to, as another route to the same thing.  Multiple build paths to the same item.

That way a low level player (mule) could do the labor hours leg work (at low experience gain), but have it cost them a full day's labor to produce enough low grade notes to make 1 medium.

Step it up a notch for Mediums.

But sill have the final Gold note require the crafter to be of level 35 to put it all together.

Think of it like hiring a paralegal.

Not the full cost of the lawyer, not the same quality of work and has to be compiled and reviewed by someone skilled enough to take what is needed and refine it, but able to do the grunt work so you don't waste the lawyers valuable and limited time typing up letters and memos.

GOOD.

Finally it seems like high-rank exceptional ships will become something actually precious. Sounds to me like the system works well.

Exceptional Santisima being ~60k more expensive than gray one was kinda exceptionally stupid...

No, it won't work. In two-three weeks, all major clans will have assigned a crafting mule to each shipwright with no purpose other than crafting more and more high grade notes.

Then, the number of exceptional first and second rates will rise again.

Does this sound like fun gameplay to you?

The price difference remains unchanged. No one is crafting Santissimas with Crafting notes bought at the nation capital's shop.

You already need 6-8 players to supply one shipwright with stuff. No reason not to make it one more so every ship he'll ever craft will be Exceptional

You want a significant price difference between a common Santi and an exceptional Santi? (Basic doesn't count because grey penalties)

simple

Common - 1 note

Fine - 3 notes

MC - 6 notes

Ex - 10 notes

At 15k per note, that's now a 135k difference between common and exceptional.

Adjust the gold price as needed to raise or lower this.

Edited by Quineloe

Not in addition to, as another route to the same thing.  Multiple build paths to the same item.

That way a low level player (mule) could do the labor hours leg work (at low experience gain), but have it cost them a full day's labor to produce enough low grade notes to make 1 medium.

Step it up a notch for Mediums.

But sill have the final Gold note require the crafter to be of level 35 to put it all together.

Think of it like hiring a paralegal.

Not the full cost of the lawyer, not the same quality of work and has to be compiled and reviewed by someone skilled enough to take what is needed and refine it, but able to do the grunt work so you don't waste the lawyers valuable and limited time typing up letters and memos.

A drawback I see to that would be that we'd be back where we started, where crafting notes all go into the biggest ships and there's not much anyone can do if they're looking to build an exceptional 7th or 6th rate.

I think that's why the developers came up with different grades of notes, so that people who are trying to craft better quality small ships weren't in competition with people crafting large ships.

A drawback I see to that would be that we'd be back where we started, where crafting notes all go into the biggest ships and there's not much anyone can do if they're looking to build an exceptional 7th or 6th rate.

I think that's why the developers came up with different grades of notes, so that people who are trying to craft better quality small ships weren't in competition with people crafting large ships.

Ahh, but if you personally are capped at the lower ships, you will use those notes rather than upgrade them.  

You may upgrade low to mid, but unless you can make lvl 35 ships or sail them, your going to hold out at that level.

I like the model because it's a way to lower end players to make a few bucks helping high end players.  Usually in MMO's the high end players need and want nothing from low end players, here high end players want their labor hours to save their own.  Everybody wins.

You can buy gold mines now, so the supply of gold will increase, lowering its price, and therefore wouldn't it keep the price of high-quality notes in check?

I think it works like any technology these days.

Remember when 50 inch high def. TV's were $5,000 when they first came out? Now you can get a 60 inch TV for half that price with better definition.

I think as more people start producing and leveling up crafting, the prices of those high quality notes will drop again. In fact ,they will probably end up being cheaper than before the patch at some point, but we will have to be patient.

you mentioned the mines...i mean hey, they are a good idea...but taking gold+ labor hours from you to collect?

this sets you even more back as crafter because an irone mine aline (at level 3 with max. 900 ore) will charge you around 400 hours + 78g / iron ore...if you then also have let's say a gold mine you mentioned , a live oak forst and maybe a coal mine...

good luck with crafting when you have to spent like 1k labor only to get your self earned materials...i don't even mind pay for them as some kind of payment for the invisible NPC workers that did it...but labor?

as long as this is implemented this way, and especially when the production of NPC port shall go down in the future...i don't think it will get cheaper...

but to get back to the main part of this topic...i am also +1 for implementing higher xp gain for CNs.

i would say even that 50% of the labor as XP would be okay (75 for copper, 100 for silver and 125 for gold then) as anyone contributing to ship building will at least make a bit of progress then.

if the NPC production stops at some point...and it's player based only you will need at least 3 people to craft a single ship (material wise)...

Why do you assume that would happen?

It would drive the control of the lower grade notes into the hands of lower end crafters, who have a personal interest in, you know, making ships for themselves.

If I can build my own notes for the ships I want to drive, what makes you think I am going to get coerced/pressed into making notes only for the high end crafters.  I am pretty sure they would be relieved to be able to all but ignore the low end new player ships, unless there was a severe shortage of high end notes.

The outlet this gives however is for low end players to place their finished notes on the open market, even those that do not have any guild association, or exchange any level of note for higher end ship production/purchase.

Remember, the level 50 crafters will also want the mids to make upgrades, which everybody uses, not just top tier.  I think you are over simplifying the nature of the situation to create a problem where none would exist.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

you mentioned the mines...i mean hey, they are a good idea...but taking gold+ labor hours from you to collect?

So sponsor a lower player's mine.

It takes literally 0 levels to pull resources, and combine up to coin.  The only hours you need to spend are on the note itself, if you partner with someone willing to do that work.

What alot fail to realise is , that while we have a major shortage of HN right now, that won't be the case in about a month, when enough people leveled up to 35. It will nearly be the same as it was pre patch. So this is just a temporary thing.

If the goal of the devs was to make golden SOLs rare, this course of action is not the right one. The better way would be to make note requirements exponential, and even change the base number depending on ship class. i.e. Mercury (1,2,4,8), Victory(4,8,16,64).

You still have the ability to buy the notes you need. If your crafter needs notes (and you are expected to give your crafter notes) and you can't make them yet, then, go kill something for the gold and buy one. If you can't afford to get your notes squared away, then you shouldn't be sailing an exceptional __fill in the blank__.

The lack of XP is what makes these notes so valuable, stop being cheap and lazy and go earn something instead of expecting the Dev team to hand it to you.

Just my thoughts! Cheers!

Edited by PrewashedYeti

You still have the ability to buy the notes you need. If your crafter needs notes (and you are expected to give your crafter notes) and you can't make them yet, then, go kill something for the gold and buy one. If you can't afford to get your notes squared away, then you shouldn't be sailing an exceptional __fill in the blank__.

The lack of XP is what makes these notes so valuable, stop being cheap and lazy and go earn something instead of expecting the Dev team to hand it to you.

Just my thoughts! Cheers!

Making them valuable is okay...but it makes no sense when people want like 50k per midgrade note...and want to buy ships like a golden frigate for 100k then...when you would at least spent 200k on notes + material costs for the ship...

Making them valuable is okay...but it makes no sense when people want like 50k per midgrade note...and want to buy ships like a golden frigate for 100k then...when you would at least spent 200k on notes + material costs for the ship...

Then don't pay it. Get your craft to level 15 and make them yourself.

Of all the things in the game, craft notes represent the purest form of player economy and value. Players pay relatively little for the starting resources, convert them to notes using a resource they get automatically over time, and then sell them for what they can get from other players.

That some players elect to undercharge ship value is also their choice.

It makes perfect sense.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

• 2 weeks later...

Then don't pay it. Get your craft to level 15 and make them yourself.

Of all the things in the game, craft notes represent the purest form of player economy and value. Players pay relatively little for the starting resources, convert them to notes using a resource they get automatically over time, and then sell them for what they can get from other players.

That some players elect to undercharge ship value is also their choice.

It makes perfect sense.

Well I don't pay for them. it's just always horrid to see when i'm back to capital and see such schizophrenic prices in note to ship relations.

And i'm craft lvl 44 btw...the stuff i make for myself i also craft myself.

and ships for others i  only build on demand, mostly with the option at hand that they bring me their crafted stuff (so that i only have to build the ship) or charge fitting prices when i have to do everything by myself.