Game-Labs Forum

Well, That still doesn't work...  :mellow:

No matter what I try, my rudder just always wants to move full left or right. Forcing me to constantly tap and hold A or D to try and keep it steady....

Tried to Double tap A or D to lock the rudder (nothing) 

Tried to Double tap A or D and then hitting the opposite key to center it  (nothing)

I'm at a loss as to whats causing my Rudder to never lock/center. But it is rather annoying trying to sail / aim, while having to tap or hold A and D.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Seems that way.

From a neutral position, double tapping will gradually shift the rudder full left/right and hold it in place.  It will remain at its max position until you release it by a single tap of the opposite direction, at which point it will gradually move to neutral.  It doesn't instantly go to full or neutral, it travels there, for lack of a better term.  

Not sure how or why yours isn't working.

Do you have a gamepad or joystick plugged in?  It might be that one of them is connected and is either not centered, or the input is being read wrong.  Maybe something is leaning against a joystick or an analog stick on a gamepad and it's causing the rudder to constantly try and move in that direction.  

if you're using analogue controls, you seem to have finer control of things. It least as it would appear.

I found this out quite by accident last night. as the rudder was attached to the left brake on my rudder pedals.... just adjusted my foot slightly to adjust turns... (moved it to the joystick later, it works much better there!)

• 3 weeks later...

Evening Gents,

Question: How are you controlling your rudder?

I've noticed on some "YouTube" videos their rudder movement is smooth, and have seen "what looks like" locking it in place.

Mine is just a never ending battle of tapping A and D. Constantly tapping them while also trying to Aim and keep a straight line while firing. If I stop, my ship just wants to spin in a circle. :huh:

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

I actually have this problem. When I initially downloaded the game I had a JS, throttle and pedals conected to the PC. No matter what I did, I could not get the rudder to centre.

I have unplugged the devices and reinstalled the game but still have the same issue.

I play RoF and CloD and consequently do not wish to delete the drivers for for JS etc.

Any suggestions? Right now it's more than a tad frustrating.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

You can lock the rudder fully to either side by double-tapping A or D.

I'm in favour of a system where you could click on a bearing on your compass and your crew will work to hold that course. We're playing as Captains in this game, not helmsmen or navigating lieutenants. The main activity should be commanding and delegating, not trimming sails and making course corrections.

I would like to see a rudder locking mechanism, especially if we are going to be making longer voyages in a steady wind.  Set the sails and lock the rudder.  As it is now, the rudder always returns to the neutral position.

The art of a balanced rig (your sails are all trimmed just right to balance their forces) is that you do not need to "lock" the rudder.  In fact, best speed is achieved by ensuring it is completely neutral, though a good helmsman will work the rudder to ensure the ship stays exactly on course (the waves will cause the bow to come up and fall off - you steer just enough to counter that force).  Having the rudder deflected to maintain course is extremely detrimental to your speed.