Game-Labs Forum

Merging servers at next wipe

Server merge poll  

471 members have voted

1. 1. Should we merge servers at the next wipe?

• No
    • Yes

Except even with merging servers with the current population, we would not be hitting the cap.

You sure on that?

On daily I see around 1800-2000 players on EU PvP1 server.

On US PvP2 I see at highest 1400. On PvP EU Mirror I see from 800 to 1400.

The player cap on each server right now is around 2500 players on the same time.

Yes please, PVP MIRROR EU is empty most of the time. Copy the assets we have in PVP MIrror and put it back into PVP 1 for a better experience. (should be a choice of which character we keep though)

Always the same, oh i lost something... RESTART RESTART WIPE IS NEEDED

If you want to switch server, you can do it. you will not even lose exp just gold and items which can be obtained easy.

If you want to get some more towns, conquer them. But dont cry for a wipe or reset because you are to dumb to reach something by yourself.

Same for the guys that stopped playing. A wipe will not change the game, it will also not give you more skill or make your opponents weaker.

Its a question of skill and activity which nation will be superior and which one will have only their capital or are slaves.

• Like 2

I assume this is talking about merging PVP3 back into PVP1.

But bear in mind PvP1 was "full" on several occasions.

The U.S. needs its own PvP server but I do question the need for that PvE server, which I think just leads people into boring gameplay. (They may say they don't want PvP but I bet none of them are still around 3 months from now. Extra true as they max out crafting and the PvE server economy literally just stops.)

• Like 1

I vote no because currently i am playing on PVP2 because i am from Australia and my ping is already 250 ping, merging to a Europe server will mean i will have 350 ping and that is terrible to play at.

for those who say that ping does not effect the game they are wrong or just delusional, with my current ping I have to shoot 1-2 seconds before the ship to actually hit the target, crafting is slow and generally everything else is.

Arent the open world and combat servers separate things.

In Heroes & Generals they have 5,000 players from all over the world playing on one campaign server but when the combat game starts it chooses either NA, Euro, or Asian server.

• Like 1

Always the same, oh i lost something... RESTART RESTART WIPE IS NEEDED

If you want to switch server, you can do it. you will not even lose exp just gold and items which can be obtained easy.

If you want to get some more towns, conquer them. But dont cry for a wipe or reset because you are to dumb to reach something by yourself.

Same for the guys that stopped playing. A wipe will not change the game, it will also not give you more skill or make your opponents weaker.

Its a question of skill and activity which nation will be superior and which one will have only their capital or are slaves.

read the topic!

We will have from 1 to 3 map reset. Because? Because we will have producting buildings, land and a lot more. So stop crying about reset

You sure on that?

On daily I see around 1800-2000 players on EU PvP1 server.

On US PvP2 I see at highest 1400. On PvP EU Mirror I see from 800 to 1400.

The player cap on each server right now is around 2500 players on the same time.

EU peak and US peak are not occurring at same time. By joining them we would have one constantly populated server. Win-win

I don't think merging servers is a good idea, bc nations on different serves have captured different ports, unless they do a map wipe. If there is a wipe, I wish there was some way to save all data over all servers, and I'm not a tech expert so I don't know, so if in the future one server is full, the game switches you to the other & it will be the same, people will be communicating & interacting across servers, like one giant server that everyone plays on, at least for the pvp servers.

Edited by Anne Wildcat

Sounds like having dual servers was a bad idea, seeing how ping isnt that big of of a deal, there should be little debate here. When has having too many people been a bad idea?

i dont know about that having 400 ms ping  does make it harder for the pin point shots......

I updated my original post to make my idea more clear. Is there some way to set up the servers so the game chooses which server you play on when you log in? There will also be communication across servers so it seems like two giant servers, one for pvp and one for pve, but in fact it's multiple servers working together?

I updated my original post to make my idea more clear. Is there some way to set up the servers so the game chooses which server you play on when you log in? There will also be communication across servers so it seems like two giant servers, one for pvp and one for pve, but in fact it's multiple servers working together?

I have no interest in the game forcing me onto a low population PVP server. Players should be able to choose if for no other reason than being able to play with their friends. If game chooses server for you that might not happen.

I assume this is talking about merging PVP3 back into PVP1.

But bear in mind PvP1 was "full" on several occasions.

The U.S. needs its own PvP server but I do question the need for that PvE server, which I think just leads people into boring gameplay. (They may say they don't want PvP but I bet none of them are still around 3 months from now. Extra true as they max out crafting and the PvE server economy literally just stops.)

PVP 1 was full at 2100 players.

Then they split and 300 players moved to PVP3. Then PVP1 had around 2200 players and PVP3 had 300 players. The new cap was 2500 players.

I dont know what the pop on PVP3 is right now, but if it's still 300, I don't see a  point in keeping it around, especially since PVP1 now cant even break 2000

I have no interest in the game forcing me onto a low population PVP server. Players should be able to choose if for no other reason than being able to play with their friends. If game chooses server for you that might not happen.

I'm not talking about putting people on low pop servers to play with only those on that server. Is there some way to get servers to communicate? Let's say Bob is sailing next to me, he is on pvp 1 but because I logged in later, I'm on pvp2. People across servers will be on the same OS map, like 1 big server. As mentioned, I'm not a techie so I'm unsure this is possible.

I'm not talking about putting people on low pop servers to play with only those on that server. Is there some way to get servers to communicate? Let's say Bob is sailing next to me, he is on pvp 1 but because I logged in later, I'm on pvp2. People across servers will be on the same OS map, like 1 big server. As mentioned, I'm not a techie so I'm unsure this is possible.

I believe that sort of infrastructure is in the works, or still not fully developed/tested.

Warhammer 40k: eternal crusade had mentioned wanting to do something similar with pikko? server technology. That idea fell through or something (I'm bummed about the new location based servers for EC) so I don't know if the development of the server infrastructure fell through or what happened exactly.

As far as other server streaming tech to allow regional servers to connect to an overall server, I THINK, (and have no idea whether its true or not) that google might be looking at that sort of tech.

http://developer.muchdifferent.com/unitypark/PikkoServer

I am not a big techno geek, and don't work in the industry, so I don't know how far the tech has progressed, or who is working on it; I just know that it had at the very least been looked at. And I would love to see it happen for games like this one, where you can limit the server load with battle instances set to other servers and allow all players to see each other and play together on a single server. 

-------------

As far as the topic discussion. I would like to see the servers merged into 1 PVP and 1 PVE by launch. This is still alpha stage, so the Dev team are working on the game and I would assume the back-end infrastructure to increase server size limits. We all know there will be various wipes of the game as development progresses (if you didn't, now you do), so I would think slowly merging the servers as development progresses would be reasonable. For example, when the conquest map is reset and the ports go back to original owners would be a good time to try combining the EU pvp servers (assuming the dev team can increase the max pop).

As far as ping is concerned, I could play on any server right now seeing as I get <20ms ping on PVP US2 and around 80 on PVP EU1.

• Like 1

I agree

No need to split player base

No one force players to choose another server, except pvp1. Its their own choice. And it means they do it with some own reason. So why the hell now you ask to merge it?

No one force players to choose another server, except pvp1. Its their own choice. And it means they do it with some own reason. So why the hell now you ask to merge it?

To bring the largest amount of players onto the server so that we can test properly. Are we designing a game with a population of 500, 1000, 3000? It makes a huge difference, imagine if EVE was split into regional servers, it would never have lasted long.

I'm playing on the pvp 3 since the beginnig so i have lots of gold, outpost and also somes ships but is the servers are merging will i lost every things i have (excepted my xp) because i expect to keep everything

I'm playing on the pvp 3 since the beginnig so i have lots of gold, outpost and also somes ships but is the servers are merging will i lost every things i have (excepted my xp) because i expect to keep everything

They stated somewhere that there could be some for of compensation for lost assets in case of wipe.

Edited by victor