Game-Labs Forum

Ships Appearance and collors

Dont no if somebody already suggested that, but  i was thinking about the ship appearence changes according to  craft level of the ship. for example: A basic ship should be regular would collor only with white sails and a regular and single flag  while a exceptional ship should have all the detailes much like what the renommee already is nowadays. May be diferent sails or some diferent flags on masts. What do you think?

The flags on the mast right now is random flags from a pool of flags.

Also to pull of certain things like the art on ships can be very hard as it needs to be several modles of the same ship (that increase the game size).

So if I got it right that if I got a basic ship there will be 1 flag on the ship (no flags on the mast?) and if the quality of the ship raise the exceptional will have all the flags and different looks on the sails?

Is that correct :)?

Edited by Tomms123

The flags on the mast right now is random flags from a pool of flags.

Also to pull of certain things like the art on ships can be very hard as it needs to be several modles of the same ship (that increase the game size).

So if I got it right that if I got a basic ship there will be 1 flag on the ship (no flags on the mast?) and if the quality of the ship raise the exceptional will have all the flags and different looks on the sails?

Is that correct :)?

im not an expert but i dont think it would increase so much the game size..should be only diferent skin for difernt type of craft quality, more like  4 skins for each diferent ship quality...about the flags dindt think too much about it, its just an inicial idea.

Sails should not change dramatically, as for anything beyond about the brig/snow, white canvas sails were the standard.  Tan bark sails could possibly be used by smaller craft, such as the cutter or schooners, but there's been discussion before and they just weren't used on large craft (they were experimented with by the British Navy, but found to be not worth the cost).  As for different skins on the hulls, I think lots of people would rather just have some system in place to customize a ship and not have them all be based on quality (let's face it, for most of the upper level ships they'd all be at least blue, so the lower quality ones would actually be rare for player ships).  I think having flags actually mean something would be nice.  A pennant size based on rank, certain flags flown for achievements, a flag that denotes crafting skill level, a flag for the clan, etc.

• Like 1

Sails should not change dramatically, as for anything beyond about the brig/snow, white canvas sails were the standard.  Tan bark sails could possibly be used by smaller craft, such as the cutter or schooners, but there's been discussion before and they just weren't used on large craft (they were experimented with by the British Navy, but found to be not worth the cost).  As for different skins on the hulls, I think lots of people would rather just have some system in place to customize a ship and not have them all be based on quality (let's face it, for most of the upper level ships they'd all be at least blue, so the lower quality ones would actually be rare for player ships).  I think having flags actually mean something would be nice.  A pennant size based on rank, certain flags flown for achievements, a flag that denotes crafting skill level, a flag for the clan, etc.

You are right, problaby after a few months everybody should have the best ships, even so its best have some diference than none. I like your idea about the flags based on ranks an clans and etc.

I would rather be able to customize ships than just have their visuals be determined by craft level.

WE should be careful with this thing of customize ships, so people should use so much collor and the game becomes a cartoon, saw this happen in tank games. but, we could have personal marks in a flag or small one in hull.

WE should be careful with this thing of customize ships, so people should use so much collor and the game becomes a cartoon, saw this happen in tank games. but, we could have personal marks in a flag or small one in hull.

There was a long discussion about this last year.  The idea that I liked the most is to have a half dozen or so historically appropriate designs (such as solid color, solid with stripe for gundeck, gundeck stripe punctuated for gunports, etc.) for the paint job, and let people pick out colors for each area from a limited palette.  That way, they could customize their boats without it becoming too gaudy.

Examples:

Image1.gif

Image2.gif

Image3.gif

Image4.gif

Then people could work with natural wood, or go a classic black/white or black/yellow (or black/tanish pink based on new research of HMS Victory), maybe throw in a red stripe or even a little blue on the rail.  

From the website where I found the above images:

"Early in the 1700’s, ships’ hulls would be painted yellow orche or clear varnished wood with narrow black streaks along the wales of the ship’s sides (see figure 1), but it is likely that other variations upon this basic theme were used on ships of all navies. After 1780, British captains were given yellow and black paint for their ship’s hulls. Its application to the hulls was at the discretion of the captain. If a captain should choose, he was able to add other colors to be used in painting the ship (rarely white), but this was done at his own expense. Other navies followed a similar practice with their ships, with red or maroon and black being the most common colors in the Spanish navy. Several paint schemes began to emerge during this period. Ships would be painted black with single or multiple stripes. See figures 2, 3 and 4 for some examples. These stripes were either solid, one broad stripe along the hull, one wide stripe on the upper or lower hull of the ship, or even no stripes at all. In some cases, the stripes on the hull did not necessarily run along the lines of the gun ports.

A new checkered paint scheme has been said to have originated in the Royal Navy around the 1790’s and was copied by the other navies of the world. When it actually started and who actually used this new paint scheme first is anybody’s guess, but the stripes with black gun ports seems to have been referred to as the "Nelson checker" and the paint scheme became more common in the Royal Navy as he rose to prominence (see figure 4, but with black gun ports). By the Napoleonic wars, this new checkered paint scheme was the most popular among captains of all navies, but other paint schemes like that shown in figure 2 and others would still be in use.

During the periods of the American and French Revolutions, ship colors were not very well defined. By the Napoleonic period (roughly 1800-1815), a lose set of national patterns had started to emerge. However, there will always be exceptions. The British navy began to adopt the Nelson Checker using yellow on black. A contemporary described the yellow used by the British as "baby puke yellow" but most paintings and other sources place it as a yellow ochre or rich yellow, but as this faded I can see how the term baby puke yellow got started. This color was used more and more on ships of the Royal Navy when it became a standard, but the transition didn’t happen overnight. The United States navy began to adopt a similar pattern using white on black. French ships were painted in various forms using black with red stripes or different shades of yellow (dominant color). The use of white was uncommon and did not begin to be more widespread until about 1810 to 1812. Even so, you can still paint French ships with yellow or red stripes. Also, don’t over look the possibility of red with white channels or trim. Spanish ships were painted in various forms as well, but red or maroon would be the most common color for their ships. Other navies would be similar to the British and French navies. Some Russian ships might have used green, but the use of green on black is questionable. I would be interested in hearing from others with supporting evidence that green stripes were used on any ship-of-the-line."

While I have not independently corroborated his analysis, it does coincide with documents and paintings that I've seen over the many years I've been studying the ships of this era.
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...