Game-Labs Forum

Moderator taking sides + open positions

9 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

I'll say much the same in the official announcement thread whenever that gets posted:

I don't recommend it.  You will often have to make decisions against your clanmates and friends.  If you do, you set yourself up as a pariah.  If you don't, you're showing bias.  If there's a perception of wrongdoing, it's mod abuse.  If people just want to give you a headache, it's mod abuse.  Whatever "big benefit" people imagine that there is to being a moderator - it isn't what you expect.  There's no special abilities granted, no easy path for equipment, nothing except a green target and perpetual disappointment in your fellow players.

Except you don't have to do it. The reason you currently have to is because there are so few mods. That's why more mods are less biased than few mods. I mean someone that gets mad about an internet ban is insane. Your "friends" should grow up. I would let as many people as possible be moderators. Even if they are biased. As long as they have a reason to ban they do not have to ban friends.  If vco and wo have 1 mod each they could ban members from the other clan as an example. They won't abuse it because they have reasonable people in both clans. You could just ask another mod to do it for you and if there are none online you prove my point. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

Its impossible to be unbiased and that is why more moderators are required. Henry, Hethwill and devs are only mods..... In all honesty I believe the moderation on the forums here is not strict enough. The crying is from certain people getting away with things that others don't. I know it from other forums I use that threads and players are deleted and banned way faster to stop drama. This shouldn't apply to nation section because drama and a bit of toxicity is good for rvr. The development threads are however a complete joke and many players maybe even myself should have been banned a long time ago. 

To be fair, National News is rarely moderated unless the violation is egregious.  We let a lot of insulting and banter go in there.  :)

5 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

And this is why other games I modded on your moderator was a separate account so that you aren't gaming with folks and they see you as being favorites.  That and I'll honestly say I found it was easier to be a mod when I wasn't part of the clans/guilds that where active in the games. Other times I was only part of the faction I was in and had no powers over other factions moderations (Unless it was some major offence).  This is why I don't think I would ever apply for a mod position again.  Than again I was offered them in the first place which tend to be the best mods.  

Though community reps is a different thing that could come from each nation and are known as the main helpers slash reps with the Devs team.

I would also advice if a mod is not active like a few we had in the past....they should be removed from the position.  We had a few mods that I haven't seen active in game in ages or took very long breaks and should I dare say refused to do there job when in game.

I keep my in-game personae completely separate from my forum personae.  It makes accusations of bias far easier to disprove.  That said, we're volunteers who play the game.  Just because there is a green name in game doesn't mean they have to drop everything to moderate - volunteers get to quietly enjoy the game too.  :)  The report function in game is there for a reason - using it gets far better results than demanding a moderator intervene.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping thread as a gentle reminder.

Global chat is by-and-large a friendly place, but there are still rare instances of personal attacks (and worse).

The warnings about becoming a pariah are interesting and I thank you for them. But I have only allies in the Caribbean, not friends, so I think I shall be alright.

• 4 weeks later...