Game-Labs Forum

Moderator taking sides + open positions

• 1 month later...

I've not seen any moderators online on the Dutch side as well for a very long time now.

Perhaps we need some new/ extra ones?

I hereby volunteer myself for duty on PVP EU

Requirements:

Insightful and helpful posts on forums across all sections: I always try to keep my posts constructive and non-salty ;-)

Positive attitude in everything: Check (i want this game to succeed, It's quite unique)

Thick skin: I've been working for 8 years now in IT Support, thick skin is pretty much a requirement there too.

Excellent knowledge of the game: I have some 1.8k hours in the game currently, but i can always learn more :-)

English language: I do speak, read and write English

Another language is a huge plus: Dutch, French and a notion of German

Edited by Yngvarr

22 hours ago, Jarlath Morrow said:

I would like to officially volunteer as a moderator on PVP-Global.

Other than the "another language," I easily meet the requirements. Please message me if you need to ask anything. Cheers!

@Jarlath Morrow or @Wraith

Both would be great moderators for [PvP Global].

If needed I’m willing to help out on [PvP Global] with disputes etc when needed, but I can’t in all fairness be a moderator without the xp etc.

Norfolk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Yngvarr said:

I've not seen any moderators online on the Dutch side as well for a very long time now.

Perhaps we need some new/ extra ones?

There are only active moderators in the prussian fleet and only two so far (one is admin). Every other moderator is inactive or stepped back. On EU

Global: None.

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

There are only active moderators in the prussian fleet and only two so far (one is admin). Every other moderator is inactive or stepped back. On EU

Global: None.

This is actually half a lie :) , Prussia being a new nation and expected to be PvP-Impossible attracted some attention. Same as Commonwealth, same as Russian Empire. We know exactly whom is where. Some "green peas" are not vocal but they are there, in your nation, don't even doubt it.

Global, keep reporting. There are mods there.

43 minutes ago, The Red Duke said:

This is actually half a lie :) , Prussia being a new nation and expected to be PvP-Impossible attracted some attention. Same as Commonwealth, same as Russian Empire. We know exactly whom is where. Some "green peas" are not vocal but they are there, in your nation, don't even doubt it.

Global chat should be different then...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Raising this thread from the dead...

I have sailed alongside *and* fought against the saltiest sailors that the Caribbean has to offer. I have a thick skin and don't take things personally, but the fact remains that sometimes moderation is needed (such as chat spam).

I volunteer to be an English-speaking chat moderator for the War server. PM me if you need any details. Fingers crossed for the game launch!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jarlath Morrow said:

Raising this thread from the dead...

I have sailed alongside *and* fought against the saltiest sailors that the Caribbean has to offer. I have a thick skin and don't take things personally, but the fact remains that sometimes moderation is needed (such as chat spam).

I volunteer to be an English-speaking chat moderator for the War server. PM me if you need any details. Fingers crossed for the game launch!

separate announcement is coming - we will take applications for new moderators 

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, admin said:

separate announcement is coming - we will take applications for new moderators 

You should probably hold off till a few weeks into release for the population to settle in. That way you do not have a few nations without a moderator to maintain some order in nation chat on occasion rather than just global and help channels. 

• Like 4

I'll say much the same in the official announcement thread whenever that gets posted:

I don't recommend it.  You will often have to make decisions against your clanmates and friends.  If you do, you set yourself up as a pariah.  If you don't, you're showing bias.  If there's a perception of wrongdoing, it's mod abuse.  If people just want to give you a headache, it's mod abuse.  Whatever "big benefit" people imagine that there is to being a moderator - it isn't what you expect.  There's no special abilities granted, no easy path for equipment, nothing except a green target and perpetual disappointment in your fellow players.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Me three. ;) 

But seriously, moderation should not be that difficult. Publish rules. Make them non-subjective. Period.

There can be no claim of bias if you can point directly to a rule that specifically forbids certain behavior. The fact that moderators are being put on the front line without these hard and fast rules, with something as vague as, "Don't be an asshole," as their guideline for making decisions is just bad from the developers. I don't envy anyone working under such guidance.

There are always claims, whether a specific rule pointout is provided or not.  People love to claim everything, logic doesn't factor into it.  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

Me three. ;) 

But seriously, moderation should not be that difficult. Publish rules. Make them non-subjective. Period.

There can be no claim of bias if you can point directly to a rule that specifically forbids certain behavior. The fact that moderators are being put on the front line without these hard and fast rules, with something as vague as, "Don't be an asshole," as their guideline for making decisions is just bad from the developers. I don't envy anyone working under such guidance.

Its impossible to be unbiased and that is why more moderators are required. Henry, Hethwill and devs are only mods..... In all honesty I believe the moderation on the forums here is not strict enough. The crying is from certain people getting away with things that others don't. I know it from other forums I use that threads and players are deleted and banned way faster to stop drama. This shouldn't apply to nation section because drama and a bit of toxicity is good for rvr. The development threads are however a complete joke and many players maybe even myself should have been banned a long time ago. 

I would like to become a moderator.  I have always played the game as courteously as possible and am fed up with a lot of the name calling and toxicity of both the forums and in game chats.  I spent 30 years working in an industry which sadly required a high level of moderation and I have both experience within that industry and previous games of moderating.  I want the game to succeed and believe a lot of the responsibility for that remains with the players.

Edited by Roadkill

8 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

I'll say much the same in the official announcement thread whenever that gets posted:

I don't recommend it.  You will often have to make decisions against your clanmates and friends.  If you do, you set yourself up as a pariah.  If you don't, you're showing bias.  If there's a perception of wrongdoing, it's mod abuse.  If people just want to give you a headache, it's mod abuse.  Whatever "big benefit" people imagine that there is to being a moderator - it isn't what you expect.  There's no special abilities granted, no easy path for equipment, nothing except a green target and perpetual disappointment in your fellow players.

And this is why other games I modded on your moderator was a separate account so that you aren't gaming with folks and they see you as being favorites.  That and I'll honestly say I found it was easier to be a mod when I wasn't part of the clans/guilds that where active in the games. Other times I was only part of the faction I was in and had no powers over other factions moderations (Unless it was some major offence).  This is why I don't think I would ever apply for a mod position again.  Than again I was offered them in the first place which tend to be the best mods.  

Though community reps is a different thing that could come from each nation and are known as the main helpers slash reps with the Devs team.

I would also advice if a mod is not active like a few we had in the past....they should be removed from the position.  We had a few mods that I haven't seen active in game in ages or took very long breaks and should I dare say refused to do there job when in game.

12 hours ago, Davos Seasworth said:

You should probably hold off till a few weeks into release for the population to settle in. That way you do not have a few nations without a moderator to maintain some order in nation chat on occasion rather than just global and help channels. 

Each nation should have a couple active mods in diffrent time zones to be honest.  That was one thing that bother me on GLOBAL.  We never saw mods for over a year. It wasn't until the wipe came that we got a few but even than they where in only three nations and once of those three wasn't very active at all for the most part, the other two well that was Het and Iraquies and they soon went AFK/MIA or back to EU server.