Game-Labs Forum

Cannon firing reference material

Rob

Just a short question, why is there little to no material about detailed cannon firing effects and impacts on different surfaces?

I have read a book from a Dutch author who describes this in good detail, but its a book so you miss the visualization. Also there is nothing about shell impact.

Just a link for people who can read Dutch: http://issuu.com/otteblom/docs/boektest

So do you guys have some links to any useful material?

Ps. In the famous paintings of Willem van de Velde de Oude you can see a lot of detail in smoke and damage. How far is NA planning to go with damage smoke and water?

willemtheyoungervandevelde_thebattleatte

I have seen those, as i remember it correctly they where in Danish. So i couldnt understand it really. Besides that it was really interesting to watch.

I was just wondering if some people have some interesting material on this topic, other than the things i have seen on this forum. 

I am trying to build a gun port with complete battle station arrangement in 3ds max so that why

I have seen those, as i remember it correctly they where in Danish. So i couldnt understand it really.

Yup that was my thread, If you're interested I could find more pictures, and videos of the event, and I'd be happy to provide accurate translations.

Yup that was my thread, If you're interested I could find more pictures, and videos of the event, and I'd be happy to provide accurate translations.

That would be great!  :D

• 2 weeks later...

to have read what is written in french i will say you that i's not a toy, they named that : an half 6 lsb". They are of french manufacture of gunnery.

Excuse me, not "toy" as in children's toy, but half-scale working replica of real thing.

And it's still a lot bigger than a 30mm autocannon.

Not really. Not at all, in fact. Unless you just mean barrel diameter, which is somewhat meaningless.

Woow very nice, thanks everybody!

Only problem i have is the cannons do not move after being shot, maybe because they use less powder than in real life. I know from the books i have read that the Dutch used a lot of powder compared to for example the British.

Made it a lot more dangerous to fire the cannon but the effect was impressive. It was quite normal for Dutch cannons to explode.

Besides all that, nice videos!

Did they always charge cannon it such way?

I mean not pulling it full back, putting charge and banning from outside.

I think it mostly depend on the gun. was it able to roll or not? In many case they were rope to make them not move. In practical it seems weird to load arty like that but it's because we alwais see pirate moovies with the gun going back to be reload.

So i will just say that i don't know how theywere really reloaded the guns.

Apparently in earlier centuries gun were not allowed to recoil, and were restrained by the breachings.

Well thats not entirely true, they where secured with ropes when the guns where fired the cannon would roll back the ropes where used as breaks.

Sorry for bad english, kinda hard to put it in english hope you understand it well enough.

Well thats not entirely true, they where secured with ropes when the guns where fired the cannon would roll back the ropes where used as breaks.

Sorry for bad english, kinda hard to put it in english hope you understand it well enough.

As I said, the usual practice was to let the cannons recoil and roll backwards. But before the 17th century it was common for the cannons to be fired with the ropes already taught, meaning that they could not roll backwards.

As I said, the usual practice was to let the cannons recoil and roll backwards. But before the 17th century it was common for the cannons to be fired with the ropes already taught, meaning that they could not roll backwards.

hmmm interesting... will keep it in mind :D

• 5 months later...