Game-Labs Forum
Abercrombie

2 Crafting Notes but Ship is still common

question for those who got commons after using two crafting notes:  What kind of wood did you use?

I'm working on a theory that the quality of the SHIP depends on wood type, upgrades AND traits.  in other words, if you use a higher quality of wood like Oak or Live oak, the chances of getting a common after two crafting notes goes away, but if you use fir, odds are your might get a common after using two notes.  If you notice, the type of wood is colored gray (fir) Green (teak/Oak), and Blue (live Oak).  If I remember correctly, Fir in a low level ship shows as green where as in a larger ship, it is gray.

thoughts?

Not seen any wood colored gray until now, all beside the live oak is green, live oak always ending blue, in general i use the best fitted wood for the ships, fir for traders and oak or live oak for combat ships, did only a few "uncommon ships " like a privateer using fir wood in basic quality, fir was green colored still but no craft notes used.

But will be interesting to know if some had downgraded colors while using a wood type not especially recommended for combat ships like fir and teak are while using 1 or more craft notes on them.

Interesting theory.

question for those who got commons after using two crafting notes:  What kind of wood did you use?

Oak on a surprise resulted in a common ship for me.

P6Jxd7k.png

Each crafting process has  a slight chance of critical success or critical failure. The first one grants you ship of better quality without spending the note and otherwise you can only get a basic ship even when you have spent the notes.

Found this in Dev notes and found it interesting-----> Quality and crafting notes

Ship builder will be able to increase the quality of the vessel if his level allows. Quality of the ship improves inherent characteristics + provides extra slots for upgrades. 

To increase the quality one special resource is needed - called crafting notes. 

• Crafting notes represent inspiration that a crafter can suddenly get when making ships and write it down. These notes can drop when making a ship.
  • Sometimes you can capture such crafting notes from enemy captains who found something about their ship and wrote it down. You can use those notes in the construction then.

Changes to upgrades

• Hidden upgrades: Inherent characteristics of the vessel that were created when making a vessel. Good or bad weather, drunk woodworkers, bad mood, defects in construction can make ship worse or better. Those are completely random and will improve only with the crafting level (from the next patch) currently they are completely random except for wood type.
  • Permanent upgrades: Upgrades like extra planking, or speed trim - that can only be installed once. They are destroyed if you take them off. 
  • Replaceable upgrades: Upgrades like Pellew sights - that can be easily removed and brought to another vessel. 

Other changes

Bots will only have ships that are available through the universal recipes. Bots will no longer sail constitutions or mercury brigs. Those ships will have to be crafted or bought from crafters. Stores will also not have such ships anymore. 

ps. we will try to make it with upgrade recipes this patch if not they will roll out in 1.5 weeks.

Found here-----> http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6869-basic-guide-to-crafting-ships/

I'm new to the game, so forgive me if out of place or misunderstood.

Hidden upgrades: Inherent characteristics of the vessel that were created when making a vessel. Good or bad weather, drunk woodworkers, bad mood, defects in construction can make ship worse or better. Those are completely random and will improve only with the crafting level (from the next patch) currently they are completely random except for wood type.

Problem is that there is no unique vessel at all in game, all ships will have the same speed, turn time and armor HP if they are made using the same built process and wood, it's a big letdown for me in the current craft system, the only thing really changing are the upgrades slots and even those are relatively reproducible once you make 10 ships using the same process, in fact the only unique feature of the ships are the repair prices, not seen 2 identical ...

To make crafting interesting and really have some diversity the things like speed and stiffness that we can't choose right should be possible to be selected and the randomess of the ships stats should be a difference of let's say +0.5 or 1% in the different characteristics.

For example you select to build a Cerberus in live oak with built strength and get speed as characteristics, right now all ships of this sort will get those stats :

speed           13.20

turn rate         3.13

armor sides   2596

stern               649

bow                259

The only thing that will change are upgrades slots and repair prices ... and beside the repair prices it will be easy to see dozen of ships in the world being exact copies of each other, there is absolutely nothing making a ship unique.

An interesting system will let us able to also choose the 2nd built in upgrade, speed or stiffness, and the randomness will be applied on the different output stats of the ships with a margin or +1% with steps of 0.1 increment.

For example the same Cerberus in live oak with strength and speed, (this time speed will be selected by the crafter), it will render a large number of variations making each ships really unique :

speed           13.20  > 13.2 being the base value but it could give 13.33 if lucky with 1% more, or 13.26 with 0.5% more, or only 13.21 with 0.1% 

turn rate         3.13 > Not sure if this one or sails should be touched, probably not.

armor sides   2596 > 2596 base value, giving 2621 if +1% , 2608 with +0.5% etc 

stern               649 > same as above between 0.1 to 1% more

bow                259 > same, 0.1 to 1% more

Each of those stats will have a base value but randomness will add let's say +0.5% on speed, +0.8% on side armor, +0.1% on stern armor and +0.4% on bow, the percentages being mixed, not being 0.5% for all the stats of a ship but completely random for each, this will make each ship really unique and crafting way more interesting than it is now.

Remains crew space, right now it adds 5% more crew, this could be a margin between 4 to 6 % or leave it at 5% but add another value linked to it for the cargo hold space increasing between 5 to 10%.

In the long run and if lucky some ships will really be exceptional and no more an army of complete clones like they are now.

You can even add some parameters so a guy who crafted 20 gold ships of a sort will be guaranteed to not get anything under 0.2%, he will not get a +0.1% but get between 0.2 to 1% guaranteed on all stats of his produced ships.

A guy who have crafted 30 gold ships of a type will get at minimum of 0.3% bonus guaranteed, no chance for him to make a ship having +0.1 or +0.2%, all stats will get at least 0.3%

And stop this system at maybe 0.4 or 0.5 % for guys who have made 50 gold ships of a type, a long time crafting guy who have made 50 gold Cerberus will get the randomness applied between +0.5 to +1%, never less,

A ship made in basic will count for less than one in gold, if it needs 10 gold ships for the first step, a basic one will count for 0.2, a common for 0.4, a fine for 0.6, a master-craft for 0.8 and a gold for 1, instead of 10 gold ships the same will be achieved with 50 basic ships etc.

This will simulate the knowledge accumulated after years of ships production, this also favoring some guys to specialize in making some sort of ships instead of crafting everything possible.

That's how i see crafting to make it really interesting and varied, not just clones like it is now with the only difference being the repair prices and nothing else, this will also push some into specializing in various domains of ships building to get better guaranteed results on those ones.

No sure if i was really clear in my explanation of all this but i hope you get it ^^ 

Edited by Kanay

Not seen any wood colored gray until now, all beside the live oak is green, live oak always ending blue, in general i use the best fitted wood for the ships, fir for traders and oak or live oak for combat ships, did only a few "uncommon ships " like a privateer using fir wood in basic quality, fir was green colored still but no craft notes used.

But will be interesting to know if some had downgraded colors while using a wood type not especially recommended for combat ships like fir and teak are while using 1 or more craft notes on them.

Interesting theory.

That is the theory that I have been stating the entire time, just not explained as well.

P.s. Fir used to be gray, and that played a part in the final color.  People complained so they changed Fir to Green.  It's just a color guys.  What matters is the slots, the trim colors, and the wood type.  If you want a Fir Trinc that has gold build strength and gold speed and 4 upgrade slots and 3 permanents, and it turns out to be mastercraft purple, and you reject it just because of the color, you are crazy.  Only reject it because it didn't get 5 upgrade slots, not because of the color.

• Like 1