Friday, September 23, 1796.

kegOvzq.png

Thursday, March 3, 1796.

Y7n3AgE.png

Tuesday, March 1, 1796.

me61S21.png

Monday, February 15, 1796.

EMXBpUD.png

Inspired by the historical newspaper of the same name.

Edited by Niels Terkildsen
  • Like 10

Well, interesting news.  The only reason why the US took Northern Cuba last night and started taking the Northern Yucatan is because we were informed the Dutch ceasefire with the Brits meant they were going to come help the Spanish out and were going to move into the area.

:D  Nice try Gentlemen, and the community just thought it was the USN that could bend the facts to come up smelling of roses..... ;)

I lead no diplomatic initiative, in fact I returned from a short break to be given the information that the PFK initiated the treaty talks!

I said in no uncertain terms to the Honourable Admiral of the DAS (after viewing the facts with the Diplomat in question) it was not in our interest to form any alliance with the Danes or Dutch at this stage.....

-------------

@Prater, Really its wasn't anything to do with your 2 week of forum and in game campaign spin, of driving the Spanish into the dirt to prove how you were so so hurt after your diplomatic advances? ;)

-------------

I think what surprised me the most is that a conversation and misunderstanding is so readily grasped by two hands from the Dutch and Danish, to form a treaty with the enemy of their oldest and most loyal US ally. I think its says more about the Dutch Danish position, than the British. We dont want one treaty, they do!

• Like 1

:D  Nice try Gentlemen, and the community just thought it was the USN that could bend the facts to come up smelling of roses..... ;)

I lead no diplomatic initiative, in fact I returned from a short break to be given the information that the PFK initiated the treaty talks!

I said in no uncertain terms to the Honourable Admiral of the DAS (after viewing the facts with the Diplomat in question) it was not in our interest to form any alliance with the Danes or Dutch at this stage.....

-------------

@Prater, Really its wasn't anything to do with your 2 week of forum and in game campaign spin, of driving the Spanish into the dirt to prove how you were so so hurt after your diplomatic advances? ;)

-------------

I think what surprised me the most is that a conversation and misunderstanding is so readily grasped by two hands from the Dutch and Danish, to form a treaty with the enemy of their oldest and most loyal US ally. I think its says more about the Dutch Danish position, than the British. We dont want one treaty, they do!

Actually, how it came to us, or at least me, which is probably Dutch->Stephen Decatur->Leviathan->me, was that the Dutch and British had made a ceasefire.  I had not heard anything about the Danish.  We were told that the Brits would probably come up to Cuba to help the Spanish.  So US leadership decided at that point to take Northern and Western Cuba and the Yucatan to deny those ports from the British and create a choke point.

Also, the spin has been minimal.  We have offered the olive branch to the Spanish several times, and they are very hostile in the interaction.

the talks of a ceasefire were infact started by the dutch!! i was approached by a pfk member who wanted to talk ... it was not a ruse on our part we were willing to talk... but it seemed Das wanted nothing to do with such a deal!!!

so please do not spread such lies and rumors gentlemen... 

i find these lies very offensive indeed... especially since it was me who was asked by the pfk member to talk.

this is a personal attack against my honor!! I am not a liar or cheat!! If you want to attack me then do it with your guns!!! 

Edited by ragnar hairy trousers
  • Like 1

the talks of a ceasefire were infact started by the dutch!! i was approached by a pfk member who wanted to talk ... it was not a ruse on our part we were willing to talk... but it seemed Das wanted nothing to do with such a deal!!!

so please do not spread such lies and rumors gentlemen... 

i find these lies very offensive indeed... especially since it was me who was asked by the pfk member to talk.

this is a personal attack against my honor!! I am not a liar or cheat!! If you want to attack me then do it with your guns!!! 

Hear Him, Hear Him

This is insane.

We had word from some PFK guy that the Dutch may want peace.

Since we didn't know if he was talking for the entire nation (and all Dutch clans for that matter) and how credible the proposal was Ragnar popped into the DAS TS to verify what was going on.

Since a ceasefire (or peace) negotiation is a matter of all allied clans/nations I was waiting for confirmation that in fact such an advance had been made in earnest by the Dutch.

When Ragnar came back and there was no there there I didn't even bother wasting our allies time with this.

Today I have to read that we asked for a ceasefire?

If the DAS leadership actually thinks we asked for a ceasefire this is either an amazing case of selective perception or an intentional intrigue.

If this is propaganda, fine, but please don't waste our time with useless errands and just make it all up.

• Like 2

Your reactions tell me that it may have hit a nerve. Now, it may all have been a misunderstanding, and personally I think it highly unlikely that SLRN would stage such a scenario; but this is how it was perceived in the Danish nation, and it was made quite clear to us that this was initiated by a British proposition, nothing has been heard about PFK at all in this case, and perhaps that is where the confusion comes from.

Good day.

If you cannot smell what everyone else can, perhaps you should check under your own nose instead of accusing all those who detect something different of collaboration against you.

My impressions from diplomacy contacts with British and US can be summarized by these two period cartoons:

1904_TR_and_His_Big_Stick_in_the_Caribbe

and

Entente_Cordiale_dancing.jpg

But back on topic.

Good job with newspaper. I still envy all you guys your photoshop skills.

• Like 4

Your reactions tell me that it may have hit a nerve. Now, it may all have been a misunderstanding, and personally I think it highly unlikely that SLRN would stage such a scenario; but this is how it was perceived in the Danish nation, and it was made quite clear to us that this was initiated by a British proposition, nothing has been heard about PFK at all in this case, and perhaps that is where the confusion comes from.

Good day.

Niels, your nation bore the brunt of fighting against the British pre-EA with great composure and exemplary gallantry, and now you are facing even stronger enemies from the south and you continue to fight against those odds with grim determination, no complaints and no underhandedness and I trust you have come to expect a similar honourable conduct from us.

I am sure you will understand how you hit a nerve here because the DAS leadership has misrepresented what has happened, either intentional or by accident and have cast us in a bad light.

Why would we initiate a cease fire with the Dutch? It makes no sense geographically. Our French allies would be the ones calling the shot here and they seem to be doing just fine.

Rest assured that if there ever were peace talks between us, we would talk directly to Danish representatives as the main combatant for us in that part of the world and not relegate you by asking a Dutch intermediary.

• Like 4

If you cannot smell what everyone else can, perhaps you should check under your own nose instead of accusing all those who detect something different of collaboration against you.

Good lord, if ever there were an appropriate time for a pot/kettle comment. Or perhaps one pertaining to slivers and planks in our eyes? Hypocrisy knows no bounds, sir, but thankfully entertainment is always in need of fuel, so please, continue!

Sorry I've read this several times and its still not clear. :)

Im guessing you are bulking at the jibe, which is interested coming from the US Chief Agent Provocateur.... remember the old saying about throwing stones in glass houses, either that or grow thicker skin. ;)

We all read your amusing and brilliant RP newspapers and never once jump at you for your warped truths and weighted reports. They are funny, but do you honestly expect nothing in return? If you are so easily offended perhaps I should create The TIMES newspaper and see you squeal at every word.  :P

• Like 3

Caldwell, I ask you to reread my newspapers and point out the "warped truths" and "weighted reports."  Seriously, I give you permission in my thread to point them out.  In fact, if you closely read, you will see that it is mostly a lame and poorly crafted form of satire mixed with history that criticizes the USG of what I think the newspapers would be saying if what was happening in Naval Action on PVP1 was real, and inbetween it all is actual period newspaper accounts.  In real life today, the general feeling might reflect what I see in USA chat often, " 'Murica," but back then, I think there would be extreme unease.  If what I write is one sided (warped truths and weighted reports), I would not have included Nakor's roleplay letter, or US defeats (as well as victories), or criticize the club 'em till they have nothing left method.

I think, what you are referring to, is in fact our argument that the conflict of the previous weeks between the Brits and the US is more one of hostile relations (which was confirmed by Johny Reb that indeed was our view of the situation since we had no contact or conflict at all).  Now that we have made contact and are in conflict, you can check the thread, it says war.

Or perhaps you are referring to Grim's thread, in which, again, Johny did not threaten the French and the threat might of instead come from the Dutch.  So, on all our parts, there is miscommunication and misunderstanding.

I made my comment above in this post because we were informed by the Dutch that there was a ceasefire between you and that you were going to come up to fight us and help the Spanish.  Is it our fault we were informed this?  I wasn't stirring up anything against the British and it should be clear that there was miscommunication between you and the Dutch and the Danes and that miscommunication was passed on to the US.  I merely replied before you had a chance to clear that up.

Caldwell, I ask you to reread my newspapers and point out the "warped truths" and "weighted reports."  Seriously, I give you permission in my thread to point them out.  In fact, if you closely read, you will see that it is mostly a lame and poorly crafted form of satire mixed with history that criticizes the USG of what I think the newspapers would be saying if what was happening in Naval Action on PVP1 was real, and inbetween it all is actual period newspaper accounts.  In real life today, the general feeling might reflect what I see in USA chat often, " 'Murica," but back then, I think there would be extreme unease.  If what I write is one sided (warped truths and weighted reports), I would not have included Nakor's roleplay letter, or US defeats (as well as victories), or criticize the club 'em till they have nothing left method.

Sir, with respect my reply was not directed at you...I was quoting InfiniteAmount: His Publication:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/10574-national-naval-register-us-newspaper-pvp1/

I think your paper is of the highest quality and well written. o7

• Like 1

Sorry I've read this several times and its still not clear. :)

Im guessing you are bulking at the jibe, which is interested coming from the US Chief Agent Provocateur.... remember the old saying about throwing stones in glass houses, either that or grow thicker skin. ;)

We all read your amusing and brilliant RP newspapers and never once jump at you for your warped truths and weighted reports. They are funny, but do you honestly expect nothing in return? If you are so easily offended perhaps I should create The TIMES newspaper and see you squeal at every word.  :P

Like the cannon ball that our nations increasingly trade, some shots will fall short. That is unavoidable. But do not confusing my meaning; I would not give it out, if I could not take it. Just because I can take it, does not mean that it is done silently.

So you reckon it should be 1792? I chose 1786 only because it had a 6 in the end and was between 1785 and 1795, the timespan that I think most appropriate for the game's setting (as we discussed earlier).

Well, damned. It seems I was wrong, I can't seem to find a reliable source for when February 15th was a Monday, but it appears it might actually be in 1796. If anyone can confirm that, perhaps that's the year to go for.

EDIT: That would put us in the turmoil of the French Revolutionary Wars... Are the French royalists? Are the Dutch actually fighting as the Batavian Republic? Well, it's hard to make sense of however we imagine it.

Edited by Niels Terkildsen

I've said it in another thread and I'll say it again, misunderstandings like this may be easily avoided with diplomatic 'talks/meetings' take place with a delegation from the separate parties instead of individuals. its much easier for an individual to misunderstand something as apposed to a whole group doing so.

Edited by Morey

Well, damned. It seems I was wrong, I can't seem to find a reliable source for when February 15th was a Monday, but it appears it might actually be in 1796. If anyone can confirm that, perhaps that's the year to go for.

EDIT: That would put us in the turmoil of the French Revolutionary Wars... Are the French royalists? Are the Dutch actually fighting as the Batavian Republic? Well, it's hard to make sense of however we imagine it.

I wouldn't worry about dates too much. At first I wanted to keep my dates correct, then I decided against it. I just take the current day and interject my year. Otherwise you are going to have a lot of work.

• Like 1