Game-Labs Forum

The Royal Danish American Gazette - Latest issue: November 8, 1797

Niels Terkildsen

I purposefully did not include a year specifically to avoid this kind of controversy. Although, I was leaning towards 1795/1796, there are just too many anachronisms to have any accuracy. As such, I just do not reference real life historical events (unless they took place prior to the 1790s). I think the closest I came in an article that actually made the cut was that I made a reference to "French Republicans."

• Like 1

I chose 1806 because it is smack in the middle of the years I find most interesting in this period (1799 to 1816).  I should probably have started in 1796.  Current - 200 - 10.  Infinite probably did what was best, and I might remove years from future publications.  I might start using y0.  This time next year would be y1 so I can distinguish if I am still making newspapers.  Maybe this is something we can all use?  Or does anyone have a better idea?

It could be indicated by the use of volumes (Prater has Vol. 5, I have Vol. 15). I'm just a bit pedantic when it comes to being as accurate as possible with the formalities, so I made mine Vol. 15 since the paper was historically started in 1770/1771, and I tried to make the number of issues correspond to that (the historical newspaper published once or twice a week afaik). I'd love to use a year, personally, and if I had to choose now, I'd probably go with 1796, but I'd also love it if there was a consensus between the newspaper publishers.

EDIT: I edited the newspaper to use 1796 as the year (and adjusted the volume and issue numbers to fit).

Edited by Niels Terkildsen

The forum staff.

If I am unable to use advertisements and articles taken directly out of the historical newspaper (as I've done with the censored "labour"-trade advertisement), due to the consideration that they might offend people, I had to find a suitable way to express this in "role" so to speak. The effort to hide the fact that slave trade was huge in the West Indies reminds me a bit of the "trigger warnings"-debate of the US universities. While I understand that it's a sensitive subject, I think it's important to be able to accept the historical fact and not read into it that, just because I include such an advertisement (the subject of which is touched upon by at least half the notices and advertisements in the historical newspaper), I endorse the concept or anything of the sort.

Unless the staff tells me otherwise, I will from now on swap words such as slave and other racially derogative terms found in the historical newspaper with "labourers".  If at some stage, the staff finds even that inappropriate, I'll just have to use the missing donkey notices and the like instead, though that might become a bit stale in the end, and not very representative of the time that the game is portraying.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm GUESSING that you could do it in Open Office.  Resize the page, set background as image (use a nice paper texture), images of lines between breaks.  Fonts, I'm sure if you just looked around you'd find some nice ones that looked like ink pressed onto a page.  In fact, it might be good to set up a thread for people to share their ideas for others to emulate...

• Like 2

Sure, it would be great to have more people make "newspapers"!

I use Photoshop 7.0, a template blank page with the header and such (basically stripped down and shortened version of this real issue), and I use this font. In the beginning I used small snippets of the historical newspaper for adverts etc., but then I found this page where there's an endless supply - plenty of inspiration for any aspiring publisher. The time consuming part is the actual writing, and then the aligning of the text - and when you're not used to having two types of S, used in different circumstances, checking for errors. It makes it a lot easier if you have some experience with Photoshop too.

I sent out a request for stories etc. on the Dano-Norwegian forum (which seems to be down now) a while ago, and I did get one request, about a convoy service, that I didn't fulfil (sorry!) since I lacked the time and wasn't active. Generally I'm more likely to make new issues when I'm active in the game, and that's also the reason it's been very quiet lately: I'm taking a break, most likely 'til the release, but I intend to continue making these whenever I'm in the mood and have something useful/fun to tell.

If you want to see more issues, the best approach would be to send me stories that would be suitable for the paper - preferably in short article form, but I can also rewrite from general information to make it more immersive. You can also check the database I linked above for fun little adverts etc. that I could include - or even better, if you want to include a small notice about stuff you're either selling or want to buy in-game, etc.

25 minutes ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

Sure, it would be great to have more people make "newspapers"!

I use Photoshop 7.0, a template blank page with the header and such (basically stripped down and shortened version of this real issue), and I use this font. In the beginning I used small snippets of the historical newspaper for adverts etc., but then I found this page where there's an endless supply - plenty of inspiration for any aspiring publisher. The time consuming part is the actual writing, and then the aligning of the text - and when you're not used to having two types of S, used in different circumstances, checking for errors. It makes it a lot easier if you have some experience with Photoshop too.

I sent out a request for stories etc. on the Dano-Norwegian forum (which seems to be down now) a while ago, and I did get one request, about a convoy service, that I didn't fulfil (sorry!) since I lacked the time and wasn't active. Generally I'm more likely to make new issues when I'm active in the game, and that's also the reason it's been very quiet lately: I'm taking a break, most likely 'til the release, but I intend to continue making these whenever I'm in the mood and have something useful/fun to tell.

If you want to see more issues, the best approach would be to send me stories that would be suitable for the paper - preferably in short article form, but I can also rewrite from general information to make it more immersive. You can also check the database I linked above for fun little adverts etc. that I could include - or even better, if you want to include a small notice about stuff you're either selling or want to buy in-game, etc.

I don't have photoshop, I do have gimp. Can you send me the project template/fonts? I'm really interested to take over the paper role :)

You want to run this paper in particular?

I mean, I spent a lot of time on this, I'm not sure I want to hand it over. But if you're serious about it, maybe we can work together. Of course, it's very important to me that it's done correctly. My main concerns would be that you don't speak Danish (?) and as such would not be able to spice it up with that, and also, I've yet to see anyone that I recall making use of the correct versions of S for this type of period script: Are you familiar with that old system? Then there's the general knowledge of the history and period in the Danish West Indies...

Alternatively, you could make another newspaper in a similar fashion, but as I said, this whole business requires some experience with picture editing; but if you're familiar with gimp, that might work as well.

• Like 1