Game-Labs Forum

'Cosmetic' Suggestions

thekev506

Hi all,

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread to put ideas forward that are entirely 'cosmetic' - things that don't directly affect gameplay but add a nice layer of polish and flavour.  Here's my suggestion anyway

Fife and drum - There are already some bugle calls for charging and the like, but I'd love to hear some genuine marching music in-game.  Nothing loud, as it could get horribly messy, but it's something I love to hear in games set in this era and it adds plenty of flavour to the setting.

• Like 1

Things I would love to see;

• Fife and Drum as per post #1.
  • Clickable Mini-map as per post #2, though preferably only showing your current LoS, so with a moving fog of war.
  • Colour Parties for each brigade, including flags, officers and musicians. Possibly a morale penalty for having the flag captured in melée?
  • Blood on the dead sprites, sometimes I find it hard to differentiate casualties from live troops when there are two lines having away at each other. Something similar to the Close Combat death sprites would be nice, it doesn't need to be over the top gashes of crimson and spurts of arterial fluid, just some red on the uniform and a small puddle to really make it stand out.
  • Morale Bar added to each Brigade, something easy to see at a glance. For example, a bar going from green-yellow-red next to each flag as Morale goes from 100% to 0%.
  • Terrain that is easier to 'read', more pronounced so that is is easier to tell what cover your men are in and where exactly things like hills are.
  • Like 1

​Color Bearers: While yes; research for each regiment, division, and brigade would take some time, this would better all around for cosmetics.

Covers/Caps/Hats: Where are the Iron Brigades kickin' black caps? Or the Bucktails awesome bucktails? 

Not on the cosmetic side; but the general game set up is better based for division or brigade combat, rather than the entire Army. Think of it this way; you can shrink the map a bit, like Day 1, let us fight on Little Round Top, Culps Hill, Devils Den, The Wheatfield, The High Water Mark/Pickett's Charge, and so on, so forth. This would make the battles more interesting, less confusing, and possibly give them a better flow.

There were what, 35 Union Generals plus another 5 high ranking Colonels? , and 20 Confederate Generals in all? This idea does go with the games theme after all...

• Like 3

Please no green or any other coloured bars on the battlefield here...  <_< 

• Clickable Mini-map as per post #2, though preferably only showing your current LoS, so with a moving fog of war.
  • Terrain that is easier to 'read', more pronounced so that is is easier to tell what cover your men are in and where exactly things like hills are.

Agree. :)

1) I would like to see bigger figures. You know what I mean, at the moment they're like 5 mm wargame figures; I would like to see the colours of their buttons--almost. I would like to see the details of their uniforms, and the different sorts of troops, e.g. Zouaves, Sharpshooters, Regulars, Militia, Kilted Regiments, etc. I'm sure all the Union troops were not only in Blue and Azure, and all the Confederates only in Grey and Nut-brown.

2) I would like to see cavalry acting like cavalry, charging in formation and using sabres. Now they're like American Indians, completely useless as cavalry.

3) Two types of roles for cavalry: (i) as dragoons, thus firing from horseback or dismounted; (ii) charging with sabres like European cavalry.

4) I would like to be able to construct my own formations for infantry and cavalry. At the moment it is up to the AI to construct my formations according to a fixed template. The AI also puts them in Groups according to a default order.

5) I would like to see a Save option, and a Restart option.

6) I would like to be able to make 10 Groups.

7) I would like to know which Brigades belong to which Corps.

I like the current ratio of men to figures. It appears to be about 10 : 1. That is, a brigade of 1,500 men seems to be of 150 figures.

I like the game very much.

1) I would like to see bigger figures. You know what I mean, at the moment they're like 5 mm wargame figures; I would like to see the colours of their buttons--almost. I would like to see the details of their uniforms, and the different sorts of troops, e.g. Zouaves, Sharpshooters, Regulars, Militia, etc.

2) I would like to see cavalry acting like cavalry, charging in formation and using sabres. Now they're like American Indians, completely useless as cavalry.

3) Two types of roles for cavalry: (i) as dragoons, thus firing from horseback or dismounted; (ii) charging with sabres like European cavalry.

4) I would like to be able to construct my own formations for infantry and cavalry. At the moment it is up to the AI to construct my formations according to a fixed template. The AI also puts them in Groups according to a default order.

I like the current ratio of men to figures. It appears to be about 10 : 1. That is, a brigade of 1,500 men seems to be of 150 figures.

Some good suggestions....but remember, they don't charge with sabres like European cavalry because they aren't European cavalry.  They weren't used in the field like they were in Europe 40+ years prior.  Having them fight like dragoons firing from horseback simply didn't happen either in 1863. They were a much more effective fighting force dismounted when facing enemy infantry.  Charges into the enemy infantry with sabres drawn at this point was obsolete.  Such an attempt was made on July 3rd on the South end of the battlefield and it was a total disaster.

The cavalry "role" should be a small dismounted fighting force that also serves as your eyes.  I end up using Buford after the first scenario much like dismounted cavalry was used at the time, to force the enemy to come out of column to move you.  While they may not be an effective toe to toe fighting force, they certainly fill out their role well in advance of my lines to slow the enemy down and let me see where they're coming from.

The game is tailored to the battle of Gettysburg and isn't an overall Civil War generic game.  Expect to see cavalry act and be used as they were at the actual battle.

• Like 1

Covers/Caps/Hats: Where are the Iron Brigades kickin' black caps? Or the Bucktails awesome bucktails? 

That would look great and and some colour and personality to the battlefield.

Something that would be great is a graphical order of battle for your units on the battle selection screen.

Something like a family tree showing the general's portraits then the brigades and batteries under them.

You could include links to the Wikipedia articles for that general / brigade like Crusader Kings 2 does for characters.  It would really help add historical flavour and also improve the educational value of the game.

• Like 2

I still would like cavalry to act like cavalry. I posted elsewhere (how do you find your own posts in this forum?) that the last cavalry charge was on 24 August 1942 when the Savoia Cavalry Regiment (700 men) overthrew the Soviet 812th Siberian Infantry Regiment (2,000 men) by frontal assault on foot (1 squadron) and flank mounted charge (2 Squadrons) with 1 squadron not used. That the Yanks didn't use their cavalry properly is not relevant, in my view. They had horses and sabres, so the option to use them was there.

At Beersheeba, in 1917, the Australian Lighthorse charged the entrenched Turks brandishing their bayonets in lieu of sabres because the powers that be had decided that their proper role was as mounted infantry. I don't know how common cavalry charges were in the ACW, but they happened as a rule right up to 1870 in the Franco-Prussian War, and more rarely afterward.

When my Union Brigades set Confederate Brigades to flight, it is the most seemly thing to have cavalry running them to ground with sabres and lances. Or vice versa. Don't you think?

1) I would like to see bigger figures. You know what I mean, at the moment they're like 5 mm wargame figures; I would like to see the colours of their buttons--almost. I would like to see the details of their uniforms, and the different sorts of troops, e.g. Zouaves, Sharpshooters, Regulars, Militia, Kilted Regiments, etc. I'm sure all the Union troops were not only in Blue and Azure, and all the Confederates only in Grey and Nut-brown.

The game isn't focused on individual details and soldiers, and the game's sprites are far too low resolution to be used any larger as they are. There also wouldn't be much point- this game has a focus on the battle, not zooming in on a soldier, since there's always Total War if you enjoy those sorts of things. 

Regarding cavalry, I don't think they were used like that in the ACW. That's more of a Napoleonic thing. 

I second the above suggestion:

Please, please, please use your ingenious powers of design to communicate as much as possible to the player without resorting to colored bars, flashing circles, numbers, icons, etc.

Look at Starcraft 2. All those fancy graphics, but the game is just a hideous cloud of abstract UI.

I'm thinking of Mario, who changes size instead of having a life bar, or the knight from ghouls n ghosts who loses his armor when he gets hit. Spyro the Dragon has a colored dragonfly to indicate his hitpoints. For example, is there anything that could be represented by the behavior of ancillary characters? Musicians and medics and such? Maybe different kinds of logistical personnel running around? Maybe simple "panic" or "fatigue" animations that would become more widespread as a unit deteriorates?

UG is quite elegant and beautiful thus far. I'd like to have a mode where I have virtually nothing but game-world graphics on the screen most of the time. Perhaps, for example, I could choose to have the unit status icon clusters appear only by mouseover, or by holding a key.

I want to spend my time looking at soldiers and terrain, instead of remaining engaged with abstract UI elements.

As a Civil War reenactor, this game has been on my radar for quite some time now. I have been following the news very closely and have watched basically every single early release video on YouTube. As someone who plans on buying this game, I figured I would make some suggestions as to the look of the game.

Preface: To begin, this game looks BEAUTIFUL! It's gorgeous. I enjoy the smaller troops and the large unit sizes. The Empire series is nice due to the detail, but there is something about this overall top-down view that makes the battle feel like a major conflict. The map is also well done and the color and shading is mesmerizing. You have outdone yourselves.

My suggestions:

1. I agree with the others above me who are asking for a broader range of uniforms. The Iron Brigade and Bucktails are known not only for their fierce fighting, but for their uniform. Again, I don't think the game needs to zoom in anymore than it does, as the whole point is to showcase the battle from a grand point of view. I think it would be nice though to add little touches like the blackhats in for the Iron Brigade, or some red pants in for the 14th Brooklyn and other Zuave units. Even the confederates could use a bit of a "facelift." It's currently just a sea of grey, however, you may want to consider using a brown/yellow/grey/blue pallet to randomize the confederate soldiers. This is just nit-picky, but it would be cool to see the blue-clad Union forces facing off against what looks like thousands of ragged and beat up Southerners. The Confederate army was a mishmash of uniforms, it would be nice to have that represented.

2. I believe someone up top spoke to this, and I would agree... command staff. It'd be cool to see some officers out in front of their regiments, etc. Maybe you could attach them to the unit but have it so that they are always in front of their men. This could also work for the regimental and brigade colors. I know there has been some debate on the different options for "unit identification" in another thread, and I believe you could kill two birds with one stone. If you went with the option that looked like miniature flags, you could tailor those flags to the different units WHILE also presenting the unit information. That way, instead of a bunch of random shields moving across the landscape, it would be different flags. Much more realistic.

3. Marching songs. I agree with the above poster. When at reenactments, we are constantly moving under the command of a bugle or drum cadence. Fife and drum corps would be an amazing addition to this game.

4. Unit movements. I love the way the game flows. It's meant to be non-stop action, and I like that. However, the one thing that looks a bit "off" is the brigade movement in certain situations. If I'm moving a brigade straight forward and I then decide to completely change course and have them move right, it just becomes a giant glob of men running in different directions and eventually shakes out into a line of battle. It looks unrealistic. It would be nice if when I decide to completely change up a units course, they move like a unit would. They wheel into position or about face into a line of battle. It just seems like there needs to be a cleaner and more historically accurate way of having a brigade look like a brigade while moving. This could also work with those who want "delayed" reactions. Units would be continuously moving like they currently are in the game, however, their movements don't take a split second. Instead, the movement actually has to go through the proper motions.

5. Someone above posted about blood and "carnage." That would be a nice addition. Robert E. Lee CWG did this well. Every unit that was lying on the battlefield had a nice bright splash of blood underneath them. It would add a little to the game I believe and would also help to distinguish between living and dead soldiers. Heck, maybe if a unit gets chewed up enough and is retreating, some battered up men just limp right off the map as wounded heading for the rear.

6. Speaking of Robert E. Lee CWG, I'm wondering if there is a way to possibly have units "dig in?" This would obviously only be in certain situations on certain terrain, but it may be something to discuss? If you have a unit in a wooded area, there could be an option to "dig in" and your men would "build" earthworks to defend. Obviously the animation of them chopping down trees and what not doesn't need to be added, but maybe a little fence appears in front of that unit and you now have more cover in that area. Again, this would be in certain situations. If you are in the middle of the wheat field with no cover, you shouldn't have the option to dig in. If you find yourself on Culps Hill though, why not? It's a long shot, but why not suggest it.

That's all I got. I think the most pressing issues for me are the distinction of uniforms and drum and fife corps. The Confederate army just looks so bland compared to who they were historically. They need some character. And some marching music and drums echoing over the battlefield would make the entire game that much more realistic.

Great job guys! Keep up the amazing work! Thank you for creating this gem!

• Like 2

Clickable mini-map please. For swift camera movement about the battlefield. 

Yeah, I like this too. Even Though it is a small map; it does not fit 100% on my screen. In the heat of battle; I can not be bothered with 6 or 12 words of text as a noticed of reinforcements. I am dyslexic, and while fighting on a map; I become Very Dyslexic! A mini-map would work for me.

• Colour Parties for each brigade, including flags, officers and musicians. Possibly a morale penalty for having the flag captured in melée?
  • Blood on the dead sprites, sometimes I find it hard to differentiate casualties from live troops when there are two lines having away at each other. Something similar to the Close Combat death sprites would be nice, it doesn't need to be over the top gashes of crimson and spurts of arterial fluid, just some red on the uniform and a small puddle to really make it stand out.
  • Morale Bar added to each Brigade, something easy to see at a glance. For example, a bar going from green-yellow-red next to each flag as Morale goes from 100% to 0%.

It seems that earlier versions of UGG had more pronounced terrain gradations. The LoS "blackout" is not a good overall guide to terrain highs and lows. "Lighter" is "Higher" and "Darker" is "Lower". Vertical lines are "Cliffs"; go around them.

I agree with this post all of them things properly implemented would be very very good!.

A note on the cavalry. Its also worth noting that American Civil War cavalry was not as effective a fighting force as European Cavalry and was rarely used to cut off a retreating enemy. Cavalry was used to harass the enemy and scout enemy movements. I think for the most part the game nails it on the application of cavalry. As someone else already said, the use of cavalry to cut off the enemy was a Napoleonic thing. 

That being said cavalry often fought dismounted, it would be pretty cool if we got that feature.

A note on the cavalry. Its also worth noting that American Civil War cavalry was not as effective a fighting force as European Cavalry and was rarely used to cut off a retreating enemy. Cavalry was used to harass the enemy and scout enemy movements. I think for the most part the game nails it on the application of cavalry. As someone else already said, the use of cavalry to cut off the enemy was a Napoleonic thing. 

That being said cavalry often fought dismounted, it would be pretty cool if we got that feature.

Being able to dismount would be great :).