Game-Labs Forum

>>>Ultimate General: Gettysburg Feedback <<< [UPDATE] Patch 0.81 27/6/2014

It's just me or the "fall back" command doesn't work as I suppose it shoud... the unit simply turn back and retreat, I've never seen any man of the first line keep shooting to cover the retreat (as happens with the same command on SoW games) ;)

• Like 1

Ok things are going pretty nice with that update, but i'm still experiencing some lag issues, much less than before but still .

One thing i have problem with is the terrain, especially when trying to find a good spot for artillery : I think we should better see differences between high/middle/low terrain.

Artillery seems to have problems to fire properly on designated units, even if the line of sight looks ok. Not sure if it's only me <_< . Also the auto control doesn't seems to work properly.

Talking about that, artillery should not try to keep tracking and follow the designated unit. On larger scale battle it looks completely silly having 5 batteries crossing the battlefield and get nail by some cross fire ... maybe a maximum distance to follow and then take back it's original position or simply stop ?

Something i'd really like to see is a small icon on a unit that is under "30 prc" condition for example, could help manage the battlefront when switching between units.

Anyway i'm glad to have discovered your studio and bought Gettysburg, very promising, i'm especially waiting for Naval Action oh yeahhhhhh B) .

Regards

May someone  reply me please about "fall back" issue? :unsure:

Fall back works this way but animations do not support fully.

The unit does not turn its weaker back section and soldiers keep firing, turn around and shoot. The optimal would be to see soldier moving in reverse, have a different animation. But concerning gameplay it works.

Well this patch really slows down the battles and its kind of killed all the fun for me. In my last video with the previous patch compared to my new video with the recent patch it seems the battles are not just slowed down but also the musket firing and somewhat the speed of the troops. I can get authentic moving conditions and somewhat real life troop movment, but this is a video game we dont need to slow the game down to a snails pace gentlemen.

If one thing kills a game for me its the speed of the battles in RTS games. Last patch i was having immense fun jumping up and down like a child litreally. Yes the previous patch had problems but the speed was fine. I am sadly dissapointed with the latest patch and i hope the next patch speeds up battles and musket firing its much less responsive then previous patch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6WxzGW4uFE <Previous patches speed and musket firing.

The speed was fine to me too in the last patch, it didn't require to be changed more. Thing is, some people liked the speed, others wanted it to be slower. So if we could have an option to use either patch 8.0 speed or patch 8.1 speed would make everyone happy.

Everything else in the patch are good things !

• Like 1

I love the overlay. Fits in with the aesthetic very well. Pace is good but i think an option to speed it up or slow it down as you see fit would be great. I would like to see some kind of limber/unlimber delay for moving the artillery. I think the time delay would add a bit more thinking and panic! to the game. 

• Like 2

The speed was fine to me too in the last patch, it didn't require to be changed more. Thing is, some people liked the speed, others wanted it to be slower. So if we could have an option to use either patch 8.0 speed or patch 8.1 speed would make everyone happy.

Everything else in the patch are good things !

Indeed i was very happy with the previous patches speed also. Comparing lining up and firing compared to last patch and new patch has changed a lot to. Now my bigger confederate regiments take ages to fire and they keep rotating all the time because the game speed has been reduced its made them less responsive to enemy's flanking you or somewhat being slightly out the range of your regiment's firing range.

Having an option to speed up battles for someone like myself is needed as i am somewhat looking for more fun.

I love the overlay. Fits in with the aesthetic very well. Pace is good but i think an option to speed it up or slow it down as you see fit would be great. I would like to see some kind of limber/unlimber delay for moving the artillery. I think the time delay would add a bit more thinking and panic! to the game. 

Totally agree

• Like 1

Overlay is good, far easier to find good arty spots.

Had a new issue 2 minutes before first battle ended: Having captured the 1000VP point, I was ready to mop up the 2500VP, when all of a sudden the game didn't accept any mouseclicks or key input - the game continued as if nothing happened, men shooting and dying (and Unions moving around). But I was unable to launch the final attack and when the battle ended as normal, it then accepted input again....- thats one new trick for the AI to not lose :) 

Also noticed the union defend played a little more odd/stupid than before (balanced ai). Left 2500VP site all clear with 4-5 brigades moving to defend the threatened 1000VP site ... or was it just confident that it could get it back quickly??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6WxzGW4uFE < this is the video of the previous patches speed.

See video here this is the speed i was happy with and it felt more challenging and somewhat much more responsive and fun. IMHO the speed should have stayed as it was. Plenty of issues in the last patch but as you can clearly see in that video it felt somewhat better and more fun compared to the latest patch. I dont want to sound disrespectful but im finding it hard to play the game because of the speed thats how much its effecting me :).

Also notice in the new patch they fire slower to this is not something im fond of.

This new speed is ok with me. I dont mind it at all.

But then again Option in this matter would please everybody.

I love this new  Elevation Map.. this explains a lot now, why my arty wasn't firing right.

Not sure if its good idea but  could we have elevation number on every second line?

Sometimes in the heat of the battle is hard to find which is what and you need it to trace line back a bit.

It would help if we had elevation written on every line, or every second? 50/100/150. or whatever difference between them is.

And every  100 feet , line would be twice as tick as normal one. 

Still I find arty sometimes not firing at desired targets. I especially try to counter fire enemy batteries but they wont shoot at them.

AI Artillery is still charging like tanks. Not sure what difficulty I was on I pressed random. Also they seem to rout much easier. My cannons didn't take any rifle fire. They were behind my Brigade Line on a hill and they all routed at same time under Union Artillery barrage. I was watching different part of map. Went back to check on other side and my entire line of artillery guns were running away. They had same number of men within the Battalion so they didnt lose men just lost morale under enemy cannon fire. Thought that to be weird.

I love this new  Elevation Map.. this explains a lot now, why my arty wasn't firing right.

Not sure if its good idea but  could we have elevation number on every second line?

Sometimes in the heat of the battle is hard to find which is what and you need it to trace line back a bit.

It would help if we had elevation written on every line, or every second? 50/100/150. or whatever difference between them is.

And every  100 feet , line would be twice as thick as normal one. 

I like the thickness idea and I wouldnt mind having the lower elevation designated also as I like knowing where to have them fallback for cover or have the lowest elevation line a different color or thickness for fast reference.

But I am happy with it as is as well.

First Crash to Desktop

Just had my first crash to desktop.

Had just got done completing a campaign as Confederates. I won a Major Victory on Dynamic difficulty. Killed 5k the first engagement. Surround and slaughter 1st division killed 8k second engagement. Decided I had the Union on ropes so I launched a third attack still on First Day against Union reinforcements just focused on VPs and took them. Gave me a Major Victory after 3 engagements.

Decided I was frosty so I started a Union campaign right after, this time on Determined difficulty attacked and fell back a few times and  with my skirmishers and cannons exhausted the rebs routed Archer and Davis back to Herr's Tavern  and 1st division arrived. Took entire Buford Corps south to wait for Rebels guns as they arrived. Brock and Pettigrew arrived first and I advanced 1st division to intercept and then rebel cannons arrived I rushed my 2 horses and 3 skirmishers to the guns to kill them. As soon as my horses hit the cannons game crashed to desktop.

Could not save file.

PC SPECS

Dell XPS 630i

Intel Quad core Q6600 2.40 GHz

4.00 GB RAM 3.25 usable

Dual GeForce 9400 GT

Windows 7 Ultimate

COMODO Internet Security Premium

Still not completely happy with the unit rotation - I think it would be easier and more intuitive, if when you hold down the TAB key, the unit would turn to face the mouse pointer - and maybe make the directional arrow a little more distinct.

Could I suggest starting a new thread with a new patch and locking the old thread.  It makes it easier to see exactly what each post is talking about, rather than having to hunt to find the first post about the new patch.

[EDIT]

After playing 8.1 for 3 or 4 hours here is my feedback.

Contour lines

Love them!  They really help sight artillery and give a better picture of the battlefield.  Comparing them to the map background you can see some areas have really good representations of the slopes and others not so good.  So having the lines is a big help for these areas.  I echo other calls for a few more numbers on the lines so you can get a better idea of ridge height quickly without having to count back.

Battle speed

I like the new speed, it makes things feel more like a civil war battle.  However I also liked the old speed, which made things feel like a civil war game.  I enjoy both although they do feel like very different experiences.  In fact I'm surprised how different the game feels with such a small change.  The only way you're going to make everyone happy is with multiple speed options.  I'd have 3 levels with the current level as slow, then a fast and fastest option with 0.8 speed at fastest and something in the middle for fast.

No unit flags on the edge of the battlefield

This can be confusing for units at the edge of the battle and I liked the idea of having just the flags visible over the edge.

Variable reinforcement times

This needs some tweaking as I've performed badly in battles where I need reinforcements to do anything but they turned up so late I couldn't attack in time to claim VPs.  I love the variable timers but you should have a minimum chance of achieving your objectives.

AI changes

Hard to quantify because it's such a variable thing, but I did find playing more of a challenge.

Now for a couple of suggestions.

Ambient sounds

I love the sounds of birds and rivers, but the musketry can be confusing.  I spend time looking for an engagement which isn't happening.

Random difficulty

How about the option to set the difficulty but have random aggressiveness?  That way I can set the level of challenge but still be unaware of how aggressive the enemy will be.

• Like 1

I have not been able to finish day 1 and progress into the campaign since  patch .81  the game feezes near the end 

I have also noticed that i have had some units inter-mingled with enemy units and  neither brigade will take damage i will have to move my brigade out of the enemy and they will only then recognize the the opposing force

I have been able to play a scenario from custom battles

Update

i have turned the los sliders off and have had luck in finishing 3 games in a row...   coincidence...   possibly