Game-Labs Forum

Economy Dependent v. XP Dependent Gameplay

Which of these focuses would create the most enjoyable gameplay?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two would you rather gameplay be structured around?

• Economy (better ships, larger crews, etc dependent on personal wealth)
    • XP (better ships, larger crews, etc dependent on hours put into XP grind)

Hey all,

Hear me out. I strongly believe that if XP was secondary to personal wealth as the main factor to overcome in this game, it would have a wildly positive impact on gameplay and improve/solve so many aspects which are currently an issue.

A few examples if wealth was the limiting factor to better ships and equipment:

1. Boarding and capture would be much more appealing than simply damaging/sinking other ships. This is much more akin to actual practices in this time period, and is much more exciting in general than the same old "all fights end in total destruction" practice which is currently par for the course.

2. Sea lanes would become much more active, as merchanting would become even more important. More merchants means more pirates and privateers, meaning more battles and excitement as players seek to capture cargo bound to be more valuable than NPCs.

3. The elimination of an XP grind for better ships/equipment makes the game much more appealing to new players. XP can definitely still play a factor in crew skill and etc, but if the only thing limiting players shipwise is simply their own personal wealth and purchasing power, the motivation to go out and either start merchanting or boarding+capturing becomes much greater.

These are just a few of the positive affects of changing from an XP-centric game to an Economy-centric game. If anyone knows of any more (or of any drawbacks - it's good to discuss all possibilities), please speak up!

• Like 2

At this point, does XP stand for anything other than crew size? I don't find the static crew size appealing, and I think crewing up could be improved in a number of ways. Ideally, I would like the ability to raise a crew influenced by XP, yet still possible for a new player to gradually accumulate a large crew over time with careful decisions. If you are defeated in battle, you respawn with a default crew size. Crewmen could be captured in battle, or hired in ports with a contract specifying the percentage of plunder crewmen will share with the captain. If crewmen are not well paid, overworked, or demoralized, they desert or mutiny.

• Like 1

Can we have a 'Both' option? I find fun in trading, but I enjoy farming XP.

I feel that gaining money provides better provisions, goods etc, and the grind means I can actually do stuff with them..

f2242743b97f61442b2a80c824e4dc0474bcafac

Edited by Admaa

I dislike the Black OR White options.

Where would a privateer fall into this ? This captain is a humble sea dog that simply captures shipping so to provide hard working craftsmen their quota of resources.

XP and Gold are simple commodities for this captain and can easily be exchanged for rum and stern wenches so to speak. It is all about the prey and the catch. Fame and Infamy.

Voted none as none gives way to diversity of game play choices.

While I am unsure as to whether this is the place to propose this, but I think if the mechanic of the crew was more dynamic that would add a lot to flexibility of play styles.  For instance, if crew cost you money to hire or maintain.  Obviously the complexity to the crew mechanic is endless, but I think adding some way to decide how to crew your ship apart from just a cap would be beneficial.  Lends well to crew XP additions as well as specializations.  Adds importance to keeping crew alive, or sending them into a meat grinder if you have the cash to hire more etc.

Maybe keep XP as a passive bonus for Crew XP gains?  Or affecting morale etc.  Lots of shooting/boarding/maneuvering gets experience in those areas.  Maybe too much complexity, just a system rewarding you for the things you do.  A crew that grows and learns with you.

Maybe this has been proposed somewhere.  Just a thought.

Even the term "economy centric" send cold shivers down my spine.

It's disturbing so many want a primarily Econ game vs PVP.

I could of sworn the title was Naval Action and not Naval Economy.

It does explain why it's so hard to find decent PVP. People would rather play markets instead of fighting.