Game-Labs Forum

Domox's Burning Sail Nav. Map [Now with Map Data, Arrival Estimation]

Domox

Image%202016-02-04%20at%2012.48.26%20AM.

I put this together the other day in order to simplify those long open water shots we all try to eyeball from time to time.

http://burningsail.com

Usage
- Double click to center the compass on a location.
- Single click to draw a line from the center of the compass to a destination.
- Steer your ship onto the bearing the line intersects on the compass.
- Use the controls in the top right to orient/zoom the map.
- Mobile devices can add this address to their home screen to get a nice icon they can use to jump here.

Supports
- Works on modern Chrome/Safari/FFox/iOS/Android
- Touch capable

Coming Soon
- Location hashing so you can link directly to a location
- Heat mapping: See where people are plotting courses the most?
- Location pinging?

Disclaimer
- This is still a dead reckoning sort of thing. The longer the trip the more potential there is for deviation.

Thanks
Thanks to ShroudedRecluse for his port data. He gave me permission to transcribe it all over to geojson.

Please email info@bvr.io for any questions/comments you don't want to post here.

Data
I've added the geojson I used to populate this map to github in hopes that people can improve/use it. Let me know if you spot any issues.
https://gist.github.com/dylan/18215f81dee9eb9a94d5

Updates

(3/23/16)

- Updated mapping library, should fix some errors bring perf. gains in rendering.

(3/14/16)

- Disabled online/afk status indicators to reduce costs.

- Added teeshirt links to help cover costs.

(2/16/16)

- Disabled alerts until they're fixed.

(2/13/16)

- Fixed rendering issue where large search results broke search altogether.

- Changed activity indicators to only show people active in the last 24h

(2/6/16)

- Added realtime spotting indicators. Click the pin, choose what you're spotting, click a place on the map and everyone else who's using pins on the same server choice will see them!

(2/6/16)

- Added realtime active/idle/total indicators.

(2/5/16)

- Added the ability to adjust your speed and have the estimates update as well.

(2/5/16)

- Made additional port info searchable ie: 'free', 'capital' etc.

(2/4/16)

- Added port info and speed/time trip estimation bar.

(2/4/16)

- Added speed/time (days) travel estimation
(2/4/16)
- Show in game geometry/port locations
- Show shallow regions
- Consolidated port geojsons
- Added deep/shallow/free/capital info to search results.
- Added snapping for line/rose so that it snaps to ports when you click/double click.
(1/27/16)
- Added fuzzy searching of ports.
- Removed auto zoom on double click.
(1/27/16)
- Changed all contestable ports to deep or shallow anchorage icons.
- Left capitals as nation flags.
- Added a border to all free ports.
- Dimmed the map colors to something dimmer to save los ojos.
- Added legend for port colors.
- Dimmed non-capital port names

Edited by Domox
  • Like 17

The port locations are an export from Booyaah's with some sanitation performed. I'll be looking to improve the data as time goes on. Also, I never intended this to be an AFK tool where you end up bumping into your destination after a long ride but rather something that makes sure you end up in the ballpark.

In that line of thinking I'm considering doing some speed/time math after taking several trips in order to provide time estimates and an estimation cone of sorts so you know it's time to start checking horizons after some time has passed.

In that line of thinking I'm considering doing some speed/time math after taking several trips in order to provide time estimates and an estimation cone of sorts so you know it's time to start checking horizons after some time has passed.

I'm doing this right now. Stay in touch.

• Like 1

I'm doing this right now. Stay in touch.

I'm perfectly happy to take the slowest ship and the fastest, take into account distance travelled and wind heading changes and just provide range numbers. The game is inherently fuzzy re: travel times and I'm not worried about it being hyper accurate. How are you going about doing things?

I've become fairly comfortable with the direction. But still working on a reasonable estimation of time based on the distance. Can anyone else provide a factor for the arithmetic when determining the time it will take for a distance in game?

I think that the actual distance is about 3 times the real world distance. Anyone else find the same thing?

It is impossible to estimate with a real world map.  The difference between distances in game and real world are different at different areas of the map.  It is possible to write an algorithm that takes the ingame coordinates and translates that into Latitude and Longitude, with varying degrees of accuracy, but any other data, I think will not be that accurate.

Otherwise, if you take the ingame world we have, our knots value best correlates to 1 knot is roughly 1 km per minute.  20 knots is roughly 20 km per minute, etc.  So, if you get the Game World distance between your start and end points, you can estimate a travel time.

p.s.  However, you still can estimate a rough time.  We were back when Open World was new and before there was an actual land map for open world.

• Like 2

It is impossible to estimate with a real world map.  The difference between distances in game and real world are different at different areas of the map.  It is possible to write an algorithm that takes the ingame coordinates and translates that into Latitude and Longitude, with varying degrees of accuracy, but any other data, I think will not be that accurate.

Otherwise, if you take the ingame world we have, our knots value best correlates to 1 knot is roughly 1 km per minute.  20 knots is roughly 20 km per minute, etc.  So, if you get the Game World distance between your start and end points, you can estimate a travel time.

p.s.  However, you still can estimate a rough time.  We were back when Open World was new and before there was an actual land map for open world.

This is very true. I've compared the two and the in game map is pretty distorted. Any speed/heading estimates need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Excellent work.

I've been sailing the old fashioned way since OW was introduced, the in-game map was welcomed by myself and I can pretty much get to where I'm heading but sometimes... :unsure:

I completely missed Old Providence after setting sail from Serrana after a heavy storm set in and the wind turned, requiring that I tacked to keep momentum.
I estimated travel time at 1 ½ days with fair wind.

I eventually land fell in Talamanca  :o (3 days later) so even old salts like myself are apt to the occasional bout of foul wind and *scurvy  !

The protagonist of this medical history was James Lind. His report of a prospective controlled therapeutic trial in 1747 preceded by a half-century the British Navy's prevention and cure of scurvy by citrus fruits. After lime-juice was unwittingly substituted for lemon juice in about 1860, the disease returned, especially among sailors...

Edited by Captain Boneboys

Have been trawling the forums for useful tools and tips whilst I save for the game and I can honestly say you've done a fantastic job. I can't wait to use this map to help me navigate on my adventures. The only things I could think to add would be perhaps a way to add waypoints and distances? I only think of these because of having to adjust course along the way with the wind changes.

Hope you continue to make this map one of the best!

Kind Regards,

(Soon to be)Captain Alexavier Frost.

• Like 2

Loving the estimate bar. surprised you adjusted it so quickly. Bravo sir! I just jumped onto my phone to give it a go and may have encountered a slight bug that I thought you should be aware of. It may just be me but it seems that the whole map is entirely blue making land masses alone hard to mark out and no distinction between shallow and deep water.

Hope to see more great stuff from you and hope this helps,

Alexavier Frost.

Hey , first thank a million, this is a great tool!

I might be missing something regarding the estimate time of travel however. What is the average speed you are using to determine the travel time?

May I suggest you add this as a variable?

That way I can set course using your tool and then punch in the actual speed reading I'm getting in game. That would give me a more precise ETA

Then if you really have time, why not add a timer so that based on the punched in speed, your ship would progress along the route you traced.

This would be far from GPS precision of course but that's not what I'm looking for. I believe it would match pretty closely what a navigator would be doing on a ship in those days :) Every time the wind changes enough to make a significant speed change, just punch in the new readings, adjust your course if necessary and keep your fingers crossed :)

• Like 1

Loving the estimate bar. surprised you adjusted it so quickly. Bravo sir! I just jumped onto my phone to give it a go and may have encountered a slight bug that I thought you should be aware of. It may just be me but it seems that the whole map is entirely blue making land masses alone hard to mark out and no distinction between shallow and deep water.

Hope to see more great stuff from you and hope this helps,

Alexavier Frost.

Thanks for the feedback. This may be your device, or it's low contrast? Another possibility, and one that I haven't tested, is that I may have chosen poor colors for tritanopia and other 'color blindness's? I'll test it out today to see if I need to select different hues in order to make it more accessible.

Hey , first thank a million, this is a great tool!

I might be missing something regarding the estimate time of travel however. What is the average speed you are using to determine the travel time?

May I suggest you add this as a variable?

That way I can set course using your tool and then punch in the actual speed reading I'm getting in game. That would give me a more precise ETA

Then if you really have time, why not add a timer so that based on the punched in speed, your ship would progress along the route you traced.

This would be far from GPS precision of course but that's not what I'm looking for. I believe it would match pretty closely what a navigator would be doing on a ship in those days :) Every time the wind changes enough to make a significant speed change, just punch in the new readings, adjust your course if necessary and keep your fingers crossed :)

The speed right now is based on a 19kt average, but I understand this doesn't apply to everyone. The very next thing I'll be adding is a button to allow you to increase/decrease avg speed in order to adjust the estimates. Re: the timer, that's quite a handy feature, I think I'll add it. :D