Game-Labs Forum

Unknown Swedish 64-74 guns , 3rd rates (With Plans)

Ned Loe

Wind do you got any better picture of the text in the first picture?

I have a hard time reading what everything says.

But the info I have been able to read its come to the King 1764 (seems like it were built 1764 on the Kings order). These plans are the blueprints of the improvments of 1767 of the ship/ship class Adolph Fredrich.

It says the gun armament shall be 13 pairs of 24 pds (seems like it also says they're to be placed on the bottom gundeck), 14 pairs of 18 pds and 10 pairs of 8 pds.

Length 174 foot, with 46 foot and 8 inch. With full armament, proviant for 5 months and something about 25 months and 600 men the stearn shall have a depth of 21, 5 (no measurement of that but its standarized during this time).

If you got a better picture of the first plan I can translate everything which I can read of it. The most right text is impossible to read at this moment.

Also I will fill in the missing information when I get more time. Didnt include the deplacment etc and the exact date of the plans which is 10th April 1767

What I have been able to gather this is the plans of the ship Konung Adolf Frederik (1775) which were completed at 1775 (this is the plans of that ship) which were built by Frederik Henrik af Chapman. (first ship plan)

I can still not understand more of the text written on the plans due to the handwriting. The part about 1764 can be that the King ask for ships or something similar, but still dont know.

Updated:

I cant confirm which ship plan is which. There is two ships at this time built by Chapman. The first completed is Prins Fredrik Adolf (1774) and Konung Adolf Frederik (1775)

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=10893     <---  Konung Adolf Frederik

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=10977     <---- Prins Fredrik Adolf

I have found that all the plans about these ships are stored at Krigsarkivet https://riksarkivet.se/krigsarkivetIm not sure if you can ask for informations if you're not a Swedish citizent. Im not sure if I can share information about it if I call them and ask for the plans.

Here is the list I went from: https://sok.riksarkivet.se/?Sokord=linjeskepp&EndastDigitaliserat=false&AvanceradSok=False&FacettFilter=arkis_ark_typ_facet%24Karta%2fritning%3a&FacettState=7p%2fdfg%3ac%7cundefined%3ac%7c&page=185&postid=Arkis+71971c9a-e6b2-46f6-aba6-cc9217c9a153&tab=post&s=TARKIS08_Balder

Edited by Tomms123
  • Like 1

Wind do you got any better picture of the text in the first picture?

I have a hard time reading what everything says.

But the info I have been able to read its come to the King 1764 (seems like it were built 1764 on the Kings order). These plans are the blueprints of the improvments of 1767 of the ship/ship class Adolph Fredrich.

It says the gun armament shall be 13 pairs of 24 pds (seems like it also says they're to be placed on the bottom gundeck), 14 pairs of 18 pds and 10 pairs of 8 pds.

Length 174 foot, with 46 foot and 8 inch. With full armament, proviant for 5 months and something about 25 months and 600 men the stearn shall have a depth of 21, 5 (no measurement of that but its standarized during this time).

If you got a better picture of the first plan I can translate everything which I can read of it. The most right text is impossible to read at this moment.

Also I will fill in the missing information when I get more time. Didnt include the deplacment etc and the exact date of the plans which is 10th April 1767

afKNCzm.jpg

Bluepints to a lineship of 74 cannons, as to dimensions and character is (unsure what it says here) with (unsure what it sayshere) it of His Royal Highness 1764 to ships(unreadable) improvments, in (this part it basically says hes gratefull for the task he has been given by the king). 

This shipp will carry at the lowest layer 13 pairs 24 pounds, at highest layer 14 pairs 18 pounds, even at edge and back 10 pairs 8 pounds cannons. (It says at lowest gundeck 13 pairs of 24 pds =26 guns, at highest deck that is gundeck underroof 14 pairs of 18 pds = 28 guns and it shall be even at back and at the edge so 2 guns back and the rest on the edges so total 10 pair 8 pds guns = 20 (2 at the back no idea about the front but propably 2 at the front too))

Lenght over (unreadable) 174 foot

Width over outside of timmen (no idea what they reference timmen as but they mean the width of the whole ship from the most wide points) 46 foots and 8 inches

With full armament, 5 months proviant and water for 25 months for 600 men crew, the depth of the stearn 21, 3 (standarized during this time)

Hight between deck from deckplanking to lower edge of the beams 6, 3 (standarized during this time)

Deplacment after outer edge of timmen (no idea again what they mean with timmen), keal and (unredable) 79450 cubic foot (that is 79450ft^3 = 2249.773m^3 (formel m^3= ft^3/35.315(http://www.metric-conversions.org/sv/volym/kubikfot-till-kubikmeter.htm)))

Quantity of ballast, standing of iron and (dont get what they mean) 1500 (cant really read this)

Stockholm 10th April 1767

Harald Sohlberg Frederik Chapman

This lower text says the blueprint got copied year 1900.

So just from the gundata and measurments I would say this is Konung Adolf Frederik. The second ship is propably Prins Fredrik Adolf

Edited by Tomms123
  • Like 1