Game-Labs Forum

American Ship Collection (With Plans)

I would assume so. I'm at work, and a brief search through my phone reveals little more than what the wiki states, only echoed across 2-3 other sites. She did serve at least three years in French service, so she must have been rearmed, as I doubt the French would let a 74 go willy nilly with inadequate firepower.

I did find this though, gave some more detail on her:

http://3decks.pbworks.com/w/page/916130/USS%20America%20(1782)

IIRC this version of 3decks is more up to date. You can see that the French supposedly retained the same armament, although without context from the source one can never be sure.

http://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=show_ship&id=2010

That same book, "History of the American Sailing Navy" by Howard Chapelle, with all those plans wonderfully scanned is now available as ebook for online borrow at Open Library.

It's currently checked out (by you?), so I hope someone is making good use of all those scanned drafts! :D

That same book, "History of the American Sailing Navy" by Howard Chapelle, with all those plans wonderfully scanned is now available as ebook for online borrow at Open Library.

Is it the original book though, or a reprint? All the plans I posted above were from a reprinted copy. I was told the original is very hard to find, unless you're willing to fork out $300 or so for it.

Are there plans for any of the later USN ships of the Line, like the 90 Gun USS Independence or the 74s like the Franklin or Washington? I would love to see, an American SOL in the game one day. Obviously I know that US ships make a large part of the current line up, but eventually an American 3rd rate would be nice.

Are there plans for any of the later USN ships of the Line, like the 90 Gun USS Independence or the 74s like the Franklin or Washington? I would love to see, an American SOL in the game one day. Obviously I know that US ships make a large part of the current line up, but eventually an American 3rd rate would be nice.

I take it you didn't bother to read the first three posts did you? The Franklin is there, fourth post down.

The book did include a copy of the Independence's razee'd plan, but the timestamp is why I did not post it here.

Edited by Hairy Fishnuts

This is purportedly a painting done of the USS America when she entered Brest Harbor.  Note the stern artwork, different than the model shown earlier, am wondering if this was an exaggeration on the part of the painter.

august-0251.jpg?w=741

IIRC this version of 3decks is more up to date. You can see that the French supposedly retained the same armament, although without context from the source one can never be sure.

Have a look at the additional source listed on this page.  Wonder if some of our French counterparts can find this book:

NNF-1774 Nomenclature des Navires Français de 1774 à 1792 Alain Demerliac Book
  • Like 1

The thing I have notice with modeling the USS North Carolina is she is like the Constitution on steroids. The designs that emerged after 1815 started to be standardized with similar lines to them where the differences were the number of decks. The latter group of 74's designed look so much alike. The deck furniture hadn't varied much from the frigate classes of the time. I have another model I am going to start and she is a favorite of mine, more on that one later.Her lines are of the mid 1700's and a real beauty. The later half of the 18th century has, in my opinion, some of the most beautiful ships built.

• Like 1

The reason Constitution and the North Carolina look so similar is that they are both based on the same design.

One is Humphreys' design for a 74 (frigate version) and the other is Humpheys' design for a 74 (enlarged version). And of course North Carolina isn't a 74 at all but rather a 94 gun ship the size of the Santisima, the US rating system was absurdly conservative.

• Like 1

One is Humphreys' design for a 74 (frigate version) and the other is Humpheys' design for a 74 (enlarged version). And of course North Carolina isn't a 74 at all but rather a 94 gun ship the size of the Santisima, the US rating system was absurdly conservative.

The United States of America - "supersizing" it since 1794! ;) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...