Game-Labs Forum

American Ship Collection (With Plans)

On 11/17/2016 at 8:10 AM, Wind said:

Dumping some plans

Those are redrawn from Chapelle. He did the St Lawrence drawing based on plans for Brandywine. The Santee/Sabine drawing is actually only for Santee, which had more vertical stern and stem. For Sabine, it needs the same bow and stern rake and mast placement as the St Lawrence.

• 1 month later...

Its not often I get the chance to place something significant here outside of the Venetian ships thread, but I posted these to the private tester's forums but figured they were important enough to place here as well so can be seen and shared amongst everyone. I hope you all enjoy these, they are the data taken from the 1929 restoration of the USS constitution specifically the information about the dimensions of her masts. :)

tXfhqjf.jpg

X0lLXjx.jpg
GRV6pPm.png
3QKGiDu.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Haratik said:

Discovered these last night:

5LPQkNW.png

W9yGG8y.png

I've been through that archive more than a few times. There's also inboard and outboard profiles of those ships, plus the 138-gun Pennsylvania, Dale sloop, Boston sloop, Dolphin brig, Plymouth and Germantown sloops, as well as details of several steamers hulls, sail plans, and engines. Unfortunately, little is useful. All the ships presented are post-war construction and highly advanced. Even if they fit within the letter of the law, I don't know if they fit the /spirit/ of the game era. Particularly that they would be much more powerful than anything around in their size category. Even most of the sloops were carrying 24 and 32-pdr cannons (not just carronades either), not to mention the double-banked 32-pdr frigates.

Here is an English-translated link, by the way. http://www.finemodelships.com/ship-plans/plans-Atlas-du-Genie-Maritime.htm

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I recently found this stern carvings plan for USS Hornet done by Benjamin Latrobe in 1811. Very few of these survived and it's a really exciting find. It's probably pretty representative of the level of carvings they had and really paints a different picture of the smaller American ships compared to the plain, austure plans we have for them. Hornet wasn't a particularly special ship, as far as qualifying for more detailed carvings. It's something anyone modeling smaller American naval schooners/brigs/sloops should keep in mind.

As Latrobe was architect of the capital at the time, I'm pretty sure the only reason this survived is that he moved to Pittsburgh during the War of 1812, so it wasn't burned with the rest of the archives when the British came, and then after the war (when he was rebuilding DC) it came back into the Architect's office's archives. Because it remained there and didn't join the rest of the naval archives, it then survived the burning of the Gosport Naval Yard in 1861 when the Confederates took it. Some time in the post-WWII era it was transferred to the Library of Congress and eventually digitized, which is how I found it.

The original drawing is just half of the stern (plus two collumns from his work on the Capital building), I took it and flipped it to create a full stern. Note the 17 stars representing the states of the Union (Louisiana, #18, was admitted just a year later in 1812), and the three-dimensional eagle detailed in the center. The second image is how Chapelle depicts Wasp/Hornet's stern.

tjx6qmB.jpgrRiQJba.jpg

Edited by Talos
  • Like 2

• 9 months later...