Game-Labs Forum

Dutch Ship Collection (With Plans)

I have seen more ship plans from the late 80-year war ships, I know that our museums have them stored somewhere from when I was there a few years ago.

There are original 'plans' for earlier ships, but they are much more simplified than what came in the 1700s and can not be used to make an accurate model. At least not without going full reconstrution mode and using auxilliary sources like Nicolaas Witsen´s treatise.

Good modern plans made by taking off the lines of contemporary models are also very rare.

• Like 1

Use of fireships would be really cool but agree that it must be treated with uttermost care as not to a game breaking mechanism.

For starters, they would have to be crafted (no capture or buying from shop) just to limit their availability. The blueprints would be scarce, craft expensive.

An actual player would have to sail it into battle (that's one player less shooting canons so it's a trade-off)

It would act like an under-crewed ship (which it was) so any change of course involving sail maneuvers would be very slow.

And the player sailing it would lose control  the minute the ship is in proximity of an enemy (x meters, x needs to be defined).

I personally think that these would be damn hard to use efficiently but I haven't participating in a lot of PBs either.

My two cents....

• Like 1

Use of fireships would be really cool but agree that it must be treated with uttermost care as not to a game breaking mechanism.

For starters, they would have to be crafted (no capture or buying from shop) just to limit their availability. The blueprints would be scarce, craft expensive.

An actual player would have to sail it into battle (that's one player less shooting canons so it's a trade-off)

It would act like an under-crewed ship (which it was) so any change of course involving sail maneuvers would be very slow.

And the player sailing it would lose control  the minute the ship is in proximity of an enemy (x meters, x needs to be defined).

I personally think that these would be damn hard to use efficiently but I haven't participating in a lot of PBs either.

My two cents....

Or, we can just not put them into the game.  It's already bad enough that people will deliberately not put out their fires just to explode in the middle of the line...  But this is off-topic, and this thread should just remain being about Dutch Ship Plans.  It's better to make a new topic in the suggestions thread to talk about it.

Right now, I have been looking for ships that fought in the Third and Fourth Anglo Dutch Wars, as well as the Napoleonic era under the Batavian Republic.  Although it is not the glory time of the Dutch, it is era that this game is set in.  

One ship that might be able to be found is the Wilhelmina, a 36-gun 12-pounder armed frigate.  Renamed Die Furie after the formation of the Batavian Republic, and was captured by the HMS Sirius.  (P.S. The HMS Sirius does have a pretty interesting career, and possibly be a good ship to add to the game, but alas, she's not Dutch.)

Another is the Den Briel (Brill?), which fought an action on the 30th of May in 1781.  She severely damaged the HMS Cresent by demasting her and surrendered, but another British Frigate, HMS Flora, having defeated the Dutch ship Castor nearby, forced the den Briel to abandon capturing the Cresent.  

Two battles that I am looking at is the Battle of Camperdown (1797) and the Battle of Dogger Bank (1781) to hopefully find some more ships.  

I got a mail back from the Dutch naval museum, they spit true their archives but they couldn't find a buildingplan for the Aemilia.  -_-

Sorry about that...  I think it is the plight of all of us who want to add Dutch ships...

Either, it is we can find plans but no names or histories, or we find names but no plans...  :(

Oh the plight of historical research...

• Like 2

On 1/29/2016 at 1:31 PM, bramluijken said:

I got a mail back from the Dutch naval museum, they spit true their archives but they couldn't find a buildingplan for the Aemilia.  -_-

Couldn't find a plan either but this very nice print, colored:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aemilia_(Schiff)#/media/File:Aemilia.jpg

from here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aemilia_(Schiff)

Edited by Wagram
  • Like 1

Do you have plans on this ship?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_ship_Delft_(1783)I heard they were going to build a replica in the Netherlands. It's looks amazing. V6DdZh6.jpg

This si the Delft itself they are trying to make a replica i think the plans have been posted somewhere way back alreaddy. The problem whit the dutch plans is there are not manny plans left from all of the ships that where build in those days cause we where part of a certain othe rempire and most of the plans where lost due to that. this era is had to find propper plans of the ships there have been build there is one suggestion i can say the national dutch archives but to get into theyr is like payign i think and thne hope they open them cause soem are in terrible condition i heart. but if you kno where it is build at the yard i mean might try the archives of that city.

Edited by BungeeLemming
edited your writing out of the quote
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i'm working on the Delft at this moment in Blender, don't know if can make this proper for the game as it is high poly already. My first idea was to make it as a 3d print.
The 3d build goes slow but i'm getting there.

See the build in this thread: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/4257-3d-modeling-tutorials/page-4

The model that is presented on Wikipedia isn't the Delft, the real ship model of the Delft you can find in at the Marine museum in Rotterdam (the Netherlands). The model on wikipedia represents the Hercules (68 guns, Delft was build as a 50 but upgrated to 56 guns during the Batavian Republic).

Hercules was named as the HMS Delft by the British for it's brave crew at Camperdown.

(see; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_ship_Hercules )

Building plans of the Hercules you may find at NMM Greenwich, and is also available online.  For building the Delft you'll details of the buildingplans of P.V. Zwyndrecht PZ and the blueprints of the ship itself or it's sister 'Brakel'.

Detail plans of PV Zwyndrecht PZ is known as ; 'Bouw order en Swaerte der Scheeps deele voor Scheepen van Oorlog'. It was listed as naval building program.

My information for the 3d Delft comes from the Werf in Rotterdam where the replica is build, where i'm often to find.

Edited by Stephan_Vroom
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Willem,

The (1694) Zeven Provinciën you mean is a 92/94 ship of the line which is the replacement of the 1665 build ship which is sold for scrap.

This ship is also one of the few that has 3 fully enclosed gundecks for VP ever owned. Which is according to British rating system an 2rd ship. But also taken in account that most Dutch ships of the time were shallow water which means for pirates and hard to reach shallow water ports are better to reach while still only avaible for deep water portbattle. That said we have already an example in game the new Niagara.

Infortunalty she was lost in 1706 after 12 years she was build.

Edited by pietjenoob

This one is maybe for the Devs and us Dutchies,

Ten years ago the Finnish Maritieme Service had found a 3 mast ship 35 meters long in front of the coast of Helsinki. 

Only recently they discoverd what kind of ship it was, namely a Dutch 3 mast frigate which probably belonged to the West-Frisian Admiralty build in Medemblik.

They think it is the frigate Huis te Warmelo according to a shipmap which shows the location of a sunken ship.

The best 2 parts is one it is one of the best preserved Dutch ships until now and the second part is that the Finnish research-agency SubZone is going to make a 3D model of the ship.

Dutch version:

http://www.telegraaf.nl/vaarkrant/25391746/__Schip_uit_1708_gevonden__.html

http://www.ad.nl/ad/nl/1012/Nederland/article/detail/4263110/2016/03/14/Uniek-Nederlands-schip-uit-Gouden-Eeuw-gevonden.dhtml

https://www.medemblik.nl/Bestuur_en_organisatie/Actueel_in_Medemblik/Nieuwsberichten/Maart_2016/Yes_we_have_found_your_ship

there is bottom of the page an English version of it, presslease

English version:

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/4ae3e0/300yearold_dutch_warship_discovered_in_the_gulf/

Pietjenoob,
I saw the post about the ship list at the start of the thread.
But i'm still in the first 3 posts so I couldn't correct myself.

Another reason the Dutch didn'the have deep keel ships is because those wouldn't be able to cross into the Zuiderzee and reach Amsterdam.

And also taken in account the sandbanks and shallows in front of all the Dutch coast

Edited by pietjenoob
  • Like 1