jodgi

Ship Speeds - Testing and Discussion

387 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, HooDooMan said:

jodgi

What is your testing methodology?  Can you attach the spreadsheet  that you use for reporting? 

I do this: MmA4JHd.gif

The  methodology isn't anything fancy. I just tag something, let it run away and start. It's sometimes kinda hard to get the angles right since the wind can come from an inconvenient (to read) angle, but you'll get used to that too. Then there's the patience bit of letting the ship accel. after change of direction. Below 90 deg I usually just nudge the manual sails to change course as you bleed less energy that way.

Then I just put the values into a sheet like so:

91392dcda1dfb389d2a5f9d9a1b3f96f.png

I don't always bother with less than 45 degrees.

17 hours ago, HooDooMan said:

What I am trying to weigh.   Is there any point in going with regional close hauled bonus over regional speed bonus?

I like to know stuff like that too, looking forward to your testing results. The close hauled bonus and staysails does bump the targeted speeds more than the overall speed multipliers, but yea, is it worth it?

I'd love to try to build and test a close hauled speed ship compared to a standard speed ship built at a free port but being a pirate cannot build one. That's why I hope raids on non capital towns come where you can use the port for a short amount of time. 😊

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

This is some data I have on the GOLD Extra StaySails Mod.  The ship is an Exceptional Constitution, Live Oak, Stiffness, Strong Hull bonus.  I am using the frigate master perk.  Ships are with the largest long cannons possible. 

Degrees Without Extra StaySails With Extra StaySails
180 10.8 10.7
165 11.5 11.6
150 11.8 11.9
135 11.7 11.9
120 11.3 11.4
105 10.9 11.1
90 10.4 10.5
75 8.6 8.7
60 6.3 6.4
45 5.3 5.6
30 3.9 4.2
15 2.1 2.4

Gold Extra StaySails.pdf

Edited by HooDooMan
1 person likes this

Anne Wildcat was kind enough to donate an agile hull speed renom in order for me to look at the in-game effect.

Decided to stick with the 360 in order to keep things, umm, standardized. ;)

2 people like this

I built 3 GOLD Rattlesnake.  All Bermuda Cedar/Speed.  One without any Region Bonus.  One with Regional Close-Hauled Bonus.  One with Regional Speed Bonus. I am not using any officer perks here.  Ships are with the largest long cannons possible. 

Degrees Normal Close-Hauled Regional Speed
180 11.1 11.1 11.3
165 11.5 11.5 11.9
150 13 13 13.2
135 13.7 13.8 13.9
120 13.2 13.4 13.4
105 13 13.3 13.3
90 12.2 12.7 12.5
75 10.9 11.2 11.3
60 8.9 9.7 9.4
45 7.2 7.5 7.3
30 5.7 6.2 5.7
15 2.8 3.3 2.8

Some things that I noticed and question.  Normal and Regional Speed are the same at 15 and 30 degrees.

Regional Close-Hauled bests the other 2 between 15 and 90 degrees except for at 75.  This may be a margin of error thing because I may not have got right heading.  You know how things are with the wind dial.  I would have expected 11.5 knots or better.  But this is what I got so this is what I report. 

I think the Close-Hauled bonus is definitely viable and maybe preferred, even when compared to the Regional Speed Bonus. 

Regional Close-Hauled Bonus.pdf

Edited by HooDooMan
2 people like this

If it weren't for Pirate Refit, Close-Hauled bonus would be a viable option.  Pirate Refit will be better than Regional and Close-Hauled on almost every point of sail.  Close-hauled is only currently viable on fore-and-aft rigged ships (and even then it is arguable that slightly less speed at certain points of sail in exchange for free powerful boarding bonuses make Pirate Refit a better choice.

On normal and Regional being the same at the absurd angles of 15 and 30 deg., that is because it is a percent bonus and the numbers are rounded.

Edited by akd

25 minutes ago, akd said:

If it weren't for Pirate Refit, Close-Hauled bonus would be a viable option.  Pirate Refit will be better than Regional and Close-Hauled on almost every point of sail.  Close-hauled is only currently viable on fore-and-aft rigged ships (and even then it arguable that slightly less speed at certain points of sail in exchange for free powerful boarding bonuses make Pirate Refit a better choice.

On normal and Regional being the same at the absurd angles of 15 and 30 deg., that is because it is a percent bonus and the numbers are rounded.

The difference is the Regional speed bonus applies to the OW speeds as well as battle speeds.  Pirate refit only gets the 1% bonus to OW speeds, and Regional close hauled has no effect in OW. 

Which kind of sucks. 

Each has its place, but really with the current meta, of speed and more speed.  The problem is that there is no place for ships of these other builds yet, as their bonus isnt that great, or that useful.

Like for Port Battles, you want strong hull, build strength ships.   But for OW hunting you want Pirate Refit, or Regional Speed ships.  

Not many people want the British Refit, or Spanish Hunter, or even the French Refit, which I find interesting options.  But not really liked by most as their bonuses aren't that attractive to the current meta.

The % difference on the OS is not enough to guarantee a good tag, so they will just sail away from you in the instance with superior Pirate Refit.

Edited by akd
1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Hodo said:

but really with the current meta, of speed and more speed.  The problem is that there is no place for ships of these other builds yet, as their bonus isnt that great, or that useful.

It's the only meta that has ever existed since the first minute of OW. As you said; protection builds are useful for PB's but are relegated to a hard-to-kill victim role in the OW.

I've heard it said that an OW game needs speedmods to work, is it really so? When I close my eyes and dream of Naval Action (all but) without speedmods it seems so much easier to balance.

2 hours ago, akd said:

that is because it is a percent bonus and the numbers are rounded.

Yup. And since it's a multiplier to base (hull) speed, when you start out with, say, 4 knots closehauled, that multiplier won't do a lot to the net speed.

2 people like this

45ac2c63944ab073ae3bc09541460dd2.png

I've used plot.ly to set up an interactive chart where you can pick ships, zoom and whatnot. I'll be able to keep it updated at the rate I can be arsed to do speed profiles.

4 people like this

Great stuff as always here Jodgi. I like the plot.ly implementation!

It's been a while...

I wanted to make sure there weren't any free lunches with the use of fleet ships, so I compared a cerb+cerb fleet with a lone cerb. The cerb in focus is the fleet.

Both ships empty:

Notice that the lone ship is ever so slightly faster than than the fleet, I fully support all such suffering of fleet users ;)

Here the main cerb is empty and the fleet cerb is fully laden with danish yeast (!?):

I was afraid there might be a loophole with fleet cargo (Think fleet ship full of repairs but no drawbacks), but admin and the gang have been meticulous and closed that door.

:)

Forgot to mention: This is Testbed 9.99 hotfix 9.

4 people like this