Game-Labs Forum

Siegfried's Map

Siegfried

Si es verdad pero resulta que hemos metido el mapa en un programa que hace eso y mucho más, contento ya?

If true but it turns out we've got the map in a program that does that and more, are yor happy?

Es un malentendido, el no esta diciendo que mi mapa esté limitado, se refiere a el mapa del juego.

Yo le dije que cuando sacaron el mapa del juego, los nuestros se volvieron obsoletos. Y el dice que en realidad siguen teniendo utilidad porque el del juego no puedes hacer nada de navegación y esas cosas y hay que suplirlo con los mapas externos. Además él y yo somos colegas mapeadores y no nos criticamos nuestros mapas, siempre los recomendamos juntos.

Me gustaría que edites o borres el post antes de que vaya a mas la cosa.

• 2 weeks later...

I've touched on this before:

You can upload a "static" map image to photos.google.com and open that in the Steam browser. In my opinion Siegfried's map is the most suitable for this due to size.

Then you can SHIFT-TAB in-game and go:

29c43645d893c884490ca3057c6d8bd9.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks a lot for the awesome work Siegfried. I liked KeinePanik's thought of making it a poster, but I think it could be.... Bigger. Ordered it A0 (122x84 or something), I'll show it when it is delivered after the weekend!  :lol:

• Like 1

I hope you get that really big chart mate. Thanks, I feel as a great artist with my stuff in the other people house walls. Maybe I need to die for you can earn good money for it. ;)

You only need hit my back with a spear in the right spot, you know. (Look at my avatar for get the idea).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is really the one single product that adds most to my enjoyment of the game. I'd literally be lost without it. It is always open and I'm always checking the shape of the coastlines - thanks very much!

As my give back: it seems to me that I sail about 0.373 units/knot/minute. So a distance of 60 (3 grids) at average 12 knots would take me about 13.4 minutes.

Edited by Capt_Streak

• 4 weeks later...

True art masterpiece you provide us, thanks a lot for this.

I used to get it loaded in Gimp with a layer for the ruler and trace my routes, add notes, time estimations for the travels and such but using it less lately.

While the map is really beautiful and again i want to thank you for investing so much time in this, i would really like to see a simpler version of the colorless map, with no coordinates grid, no compass on it beside maybe one at one empty corner of the map and no lines between the various cities.

Using your map in gimp and adding my own routes and notes it became a bit overloaded now and the grid and lines takes out the immersion feeling a map not having those helpers will give me.

I don't know if you have under hand a version without grid, compass placed in the map and the lines from cities to cities ( maybe you use some layers in your picture editor for those ) but my biggest wish will be to see this same map without the helpers for the immersion it could provide and i could use it in gimp and add plenty of things on it and it will still be clear and readable after adding a lot of infos.

Also hope the Dev's will contact you one of those day to put your map directly inside the game, it's really a beautiful work that will perfectly fit in game.

Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Naval Action doesn't have NM.  The knots on the Open World are roughly KM per minute.  Siegfried's squares are 50km by 50km.  Be aware that the KM doesn't line up perfectly with google maps.  Around Jamaica the KM line up, but the further away from Jamaica you get, the km gets off because of the distortion of Naval Action's projection.  So really, just avoid using google maps and you will be fine if you use a naval action map.

• 1 month later...

I calculated square area based on traveling .01 due west at 21 knots taking 4-4.5 seconds.

The average of the two is close to 2.5 NM or 4.63km.

which, granted i only have a cell phone stop watch gives an area of 6.25 NM^2 per grid and 6400 NM^2 for the entire map. 

I have consistently gotten 2.3333333 NM^2 as the area of one grid (averaging times for travel of .01 at constant speed)

If we use the calculated number rather than assuming the devs have rounded numbers for the grid sizes, then total area for the map would be 5,559.1936 NM

Edited by Æthlstan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the newbie question: How can I download 8600x6400 version of your fantastic looking map? 

If I click on the map in your original post (August 27, 2015), I am redirected to PhotoBucket, but when I click the "download" link, I am only able to obtain a 1024x800 jpg.

I really want to see your map/work of art in all it's high resolution glory.  

Thank you!

• 6 months later...