Game-Labs Forum

'St. Pavel' 2nd rate, 1794 (With Plans)

Ned Loe

'Svyatoy Pavel'

Built as a ship of the line at Nikolaev, Ukraine by the shipbuilders I. Afanasiev and I. Sokolov in 1794, for the Russian Imperial Navy. 

Launched under the name SVYATOY PAVEL, (Saint Paul).

She carried a gilded figurehead of the Apostle Paul, her stern was decorated with a two-headed eagle, and above the stern windows of the upper gallery, and there was an embossed Sate Emblem. 

She carried no top on the bowsprit, but only jibs and staysails. Carried also staysails between the masts. 

She was the flagship of Vice-Admiral Fyodor F. Ushakov 1744-1817, based in the Black Sea. 

When in 1798 Russia and Turkey became allies, after the French fleet seized Malta and Napoleon began his campaign in Egypt, the Russian Black Sea Fleet was allowed to pass the Bosporus to the Mediterranean. 

1798 Vice Admiral Ushakov on board his flagship SVYATOY PAVEL with a Black Sea squadron passed the Bosporus and joined the naval forces of the Turkish Admiral Kadyr Bey, thereafter the combined fleet headed for the Ionian Islands at that time occupied by French. 

The combined fleet of 10 ships of the line, including four Turkish. 9 frigates, including four Turkish and three Russian and 8 Turkish small warships. 

Not long thereafter two ships of the line of the Russian Black Sea and three ships of the line and one frigate of the Baltic fleet joined Ushakov. 

From December to November French fortifications were seized by troops of Ushakov fleet on the islands of Cerigo, Zante, Cephalonia and Saint Mauro, and the important Corfu fortress was blockade by the fleet. 

Ushakov made a landing on Corfu and attacked Vido Island. On the morning of 18 February 1799 after a signal from his flagship SVYATOY PAVEL, seven ships of the line and ten frigates commenced bombarding the island coastal fortifications and batteries. The batteries were silenced and 2.000 assault troops stormed the island, capturing 422 French troops. 

A damaged French warship the 54 gun LEANDER retreated to the walls of Corfu and the protection of the city batteries. 

When the Russian-Turks force stormed the first fortifications of Corfu the situation became hopeless for the French commandant and the city captured. (As given on the Russian MS 6806 of 5Rb issued in 1999, see below.) 

636 Guns and mortars were captured, also the LEANDER a frigate LA BRUIN and 14 small craft. 2.931 French troops were taken prisoner. Ushakov was after the victory promoted to the rank of Admiral. 

After the victory the fleet was used to attack French supply routes and assist Allied forces in Italy, the towns of Brindisi, Mola and Bari were taken, and Ancona was blockaded. 

On 3 June 1799 the Russian forces together with troops from Naples liberated Naples. In September Ushakov left Italy and sailed with course Malta, to assist the English navy to recapture the island still in de hands of the French troops, but the English troubled by the quick strengthening Russian force in the Mediterranean, refused the help of the Russian navy. Vice-Admiral Nelson the commander of the British fleet off Malta even attempted to dispatch Vice-Admiral Ushakov and the Russian forces to Egypt. At least an arrangement was reached between Nelson and Ushakov, to send a small Russian squadron to Egypt under command of Vice Admiral Victor Kartsov. 

Ushakov was the senior of Nelson in rank, and in the attack on Malta, Nelson had to follow the Russian officers orders. The Malta attack did not take place and in the end of 1799 Vice Admiral Ushakov received orders to return to the Black Sea with his fleet. 

I cannot find the fate of the SVYATOY PAVEL, and of she was used again after 1799. 

1810 Out of service. 

di-YSCLTV3V.jpg

di-9CK49WIY.jpg

Plans

mYB2tUM.jpg

ICJQJ3F.jpg

OUwvnmw.jpg

• Like 2

That's true., Surcouf.

The royals seem to be a rather strange shape as well.

I can find images of this rather odd sailplan in several places on Google. However, it's always difficult to know which ship models are authentic and accurate, especially when it comes to the cut and sizes of sails. There are also pictures of Pavel with a mizzen topgallant included.

Surcouf, you are right,  two sails config on mizan is more common. The one sail config is unique there are not so many ships of  the same class with such sails and It has its benefits. The size of one sail is almost the same as size of two and the one sail is faster responding than two. The negative effect of this config is when the mast damaged the ship will loose all sails on mizan mast. We try to make ships different and unique...

The Pavel was designed by Semyon Afanasiev. I haven't heard of the Ioseff II; what ship was that?

That looks like a 74 that you have there, Connor. Possibly similar lines, but there's a big conceptual difference between a 74 and an 80-gun ship, with its long gundecks. Sailing qualities of a 74, firepower of a 98 -- it's a very French idea and the British only ever built one or two.

I certainly suspect that Afanasiev his design on similar ships, likely by Sane. But none of the Russian sources on the first page of Google mention this.

Iosef II, another Russian 80 gun ship.

https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%98%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%B8%D1%84_II_(%D0%BB%D0%B8%D0%BD%D0%B5%D0%B9%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B9_%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B0%D0%B1%D0%BB%D1%8C)

The british and french concept 80 gun ships were indeed quite different. British 80s were about 182ft gundeck length, pierced for and carrying 15 pairs of guns on each deck. French 80s were larger, 194 on the gundeck and pierced for 16 pairs of guns on each deck (although only carrying 15 pairs on the lower deck).

Pavel is of the british type, 180ft gundeck length, pierced for and carrying 15 pairs of guns on each deck. The ship also has a distinctly british stern gallery and set of headrails, however it has some unusual features not usually found on a ship of the line. For example, the bow is a round frigate type instead of the normal SoL square beakhead, this is a very rare feature before about 1810 when it was recognized this offered superior protection than a thin bulkhead (ingame model has been given a square beakhead for some reason). 

You know what other ship has this round bow? HMS Lancaster, the ship I posted. And what else is unusual about that ship? Well, it's a British built 3rd rate, but it wasn't designed by any of the Royal Navy surveyors, and that's because it's really an East Indiaman. One of 5 identical 175ft East Indiamen purchased by the Royal Navy in 1794-95 to serve as 64 gun 3rd rates (pierced for but not carrying 74 guns).

The side profiles of Lancaster and Pavel are extraordinarily similar, not just the overall appearance and the round bow, but little details like the shape of the railing, the exact shape of the rudder, the exact shape of the stem of the ship, etc, etc. Obviously they are not the same design, the hull in profile has quite a different shape (one classic SoL and the other typical boxy Indiamen), but the two ships clearly share a designer who has a very distinct style.

So what I believe happened is that the Russian Navy were looking for someone to design an SoL for them, and since the British were reluctant to supply plans (although the Russians did obtain plans for the Victory and built 10 half-sisters to her) they went instead to the East India Company, whose shipwright has then designed them an 80 gun ship (a true SoL, but retaining his style and certain advanced features not normally found on a warship of the time).

• Like 1

Interesting stuff.  The Pavel is one hell of a ship.  It is a joy to sail.  The 1st rates' maneuverability is a pain, whereas the Pavel is decent.  More firepower and health than a frigate, more maneuverable than a 1st rate.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

i have found plans for the st pavel .... and they just confuse the matter.... these plans show the vessel with a square tuck to the stern and a double whale ( old-fashioned features and not at all like the vessel in game) is this an older vessel??

the same vessel??? or what? 

There were a couple of ships named Pavel, check this link

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I just realized that the devs gaver her such a stern:

https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/NG-MC-98

Whereas the plans suggest a traditional shape such as on the buccentaure and all the other vessels we have ingame.

Not sure if there are other plans around. Not sure what to think of it anyways. Someone help?

Pavel_Tacking_Stern.jpg

taken from the game wikipedia

the screenshot shows exactly what I mean. The stern is not as I would expect it to.