Game-Labs Forum

'Black Pear*' Jack Sparrow's Ship (With Plans)

MikeFireShot

There are no reasons why Galleons should not be introduced into the game as they were produced throughout at least half of the games time period.

However I would prefer personally for the game to include real historical versions rather than those designed in Hollywood

• Like 2

War Thunder started out as what seemed to be a more historical alternative to the World of Tanks/Warplanes series (which makes heavy use of prototypes and paper projects and more-or-less imaginary vehicles), but eventually started to throw that away by adding some weird-looking prototypes and such. More significantly, apparently a lot of the flight models or stats for the different planes have, at one point or another, been really out of line with how they were in real life. Whether that was due to Gaijin having hard-ons for different nations/planes at different points* or general incompetence, who knows. I haven't paid WT much attention in a while. 

*Sometimes a whole bunch of the US planes would be OP. Sometimes a whole bunch of the Russian planes were overly buffed (because Russian devs). Sometimes a whole bunch of the Japanese planes would be underpowered compared to real life. Sometimes a bunch of the German planes would be underpowered compared to real life. 

All prototypes that have been added exist(ed) and were used/tested in real life at the time. So in that respect they are historical(ly correct). The other statement is about plane flight characteristics, which is not the point in this thread and I'm no expert in that field either, but it's adding a vehicle that is coming from a Disney feature film motion picture. In that light, the only thing none-historical I've seen were the April Fool's jokes.

Now going back to this thread, I would agree that adding a "fictional" ship coming from a Disney movie would not be fitting the game, even though it may appear totally technically correct to the era. Just knowing it came from a fictional movie wouldn't fit, in my opinion. Besides, Game Labs might have to deal with copyright, for using it. If they would.

Edited by Wicked Mouse
  • Like 1

War Thunder started out as what seemed to be a more historical alternative to the World of Tanks/Warplanes series (which makes heavy use of prototypes and paper projects and more-or-less imaginary vehicles), but eventually started to throw that away by adding some weird-looking prototypes and such. More significantly, apparently a lot of the flight models or stats for the different planes have, at one point or another, been really out of line with how they were in real life. Whether that was due to Gaijin having hard-ons for different nations/planes at different points* or general incompetence, who knows. I haven't paid WT much attention in a while. 

*Sometimes a whole bunch of the US planes would be OP. Sometimes a whole bunch of the Russian planes were overly buffed (because Russian devs). Sometimes a whole bunch of the Japanese planes would be underpowered compared to real life. Sometimes a bunch of the German planes would be underpowered compared to real life. 

I tried war thunder hoping it would be the new il2 sturmovik because CLOD was so buggy and il2 BOS was ancient tech (dx9) and very limited AC wise.

What I found was that nobody plays realism mode, everybody plays arcade mode where planes from all sides and all theatres play together in what looks like a complete mess.

The flight model in arcade model is a joke and allows third person camera and aiming aids. 

I also did hear that the flight models were "balanced" rather than realistic which is a real turn off to somebody like me who likes to see how things work... which really did not matter as nobody plays realism mode! 

I went back to CLOD (cliffs of dover) with the team fusion mod.

air_538a_001.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

War thunder realism is considerably more popular now, typically get 10-14 aircraft per side.  WT has its flaws but i got a happy, well earned 600 hours into it.  

True I sometimes even get full matches in jets now, never seen that before.

• 11 months later...

There are details of some real pirate ships out there. Black Sam Bellamy's Whydah Galley had enough contemporary notes and images from her construction and pre-pirate career to verify the wreck itself and there are model-building plans of her though I don't know what they are based off; it's probably the best-understood Golden Age of Piracy ship.

The idea of a commerce raider, faster and more offensively armed than a trader but with more carrying capacity than a warship, appeals to me and a pirate ship is a good way to bring such a ship into the game.