Game-Labs Forum

Little things you'd like to see

Some little touches, I'd like to see in the game.   

Blue lights, to signal over the horizon ships.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_light_(pyrotechnic_signal)  

Coming-up glass telescope, to see if the chase is getting away.   http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14786440508562460?journalCode=tphm12#.UuCtJxDTmUk  

Really long pennants blowing in the breeze.

What little touches do you gents want to see? 

• Like 13

Ability to extinguish lights on the back of the ship at night.

Ability to send flares.

Captain cabin like one in AC Black Flag.

Ability to hoist different flags anytime.

Crows nest on the top of the main mast to view greater distances. 

Ability to change, paint figureheads and ship hull.

• Like 42

The need to trim sail in high winds.

More sail does not always equal more speed. Too much sail aloft can hold the ship down, making her handle sluggishly. And then you can lose sails, yards and masts. I would love to see some real storm gameplay, especially as heavy weather has important consequences for combat.

Suddenly that 2nd rate can't use it's lower deck guns. But on the other hand, it is suddenly faster than your smaller, lighter ship.

• Like 29

-Custom gun loadouts.  I want to be able to purchase (or loot) guns individually, with varying quality for each one.

-Proper representation of the less famous naval powers.  Russia, Sweden, Denmark, the Ottomans and the Italians should get their due.  Lets not turn this into "Britain vs. Spain vs. France or the Dutch," which seems to happen a lot with naval games set in the age of sail.

• Like 10

-Custom gun loadouts.  I want to be able to purchase (or loot) guns individually, with varying quality for each one.

-Proper representation of the less famous naval powers.  Russia, Sweden, Denmark, the Ottomans and the Italians should get their due.  Lets not turn this into "Britain vs. Spain vs. France or the Dutch," which seems to happen a lot with naval games set in the age of sail.

Guns we not sure yet. You can change gun types on each deck and will be able to pick the number of guns on it. But inside that deck they will need to be similar (technology and ui limitations).

Naval Powers

here is a sneak peek into our national plans - these are not all of them - but well keep it for future posts.

1EPkADf.jpg

In addition to flags we will have an extensive system of authentic banners and ensigns that can show many things to your friends or enemies.

some examples (all are hand drawn by artists)

rqpSfpk.jpg

Gosh we need to update the website! :)

• Like 45

I would like to see some sort of tribute to the great classical musicians of this time period. Be it their music being played in some parts of town, or even just a poster advertising live concerts.

Considering a variation of the Jolly Roger is being shown ('Calico' Jack Rackham's Jolly Roger is usually the contemporary flag used, and is arguably the one most people attribute to pirates), it is well documented that pirate crews (as well as naval ships) had bands to play on them, but it is also documented that some Pirate captains had their bands play during the battle and in boarding combat to inspire the crew and scare the enemy ("these buggers are playing music when they should be fighting for their lives, they must surely be all mad!")

Now the question is this: Which musicians are you speaking of? Because while Beethoven and Bach (and etc.) where indeed alive during the NA span of time, it all depends on where you where if you were going to hear them, it was very unlikely to come across a tavern in Charleston playing Mozart, but the revers would be true in Europe (depending on your setting)

With some refinement, this idea gets my vote.

• Like 7

Good to see a nice representation of the western powers!  Me likey!  :D

If the Baltic and Mediterranean powers are represented, does that mean we'll eventually be seeing galleys?  Considering they were a key part of naval warfare for those regions well into the 18th century.  I know that Russia more or less won the naval part of the Great Northern War with galley antics, and Venice maintained a fairly respected status due to its fleet even in its last days.  Too bad for them the French came by land.

For the first edition of the game, the one focussing on good naval combat, I would really like to see small vessels having their place in the game.

The optimal would be if player would choose to sail brigs over 2-rate ships in certain scenarios, because it would be optimally suitd for the job. In certain other scenarios, large fleet engagements for example, a first rate ship of the line would be the most desirable choice.

~Brigand

• Like 12

Nice flags indeed :) Look forward to seeing what other ones you have lined up, and which other ones may get added as we go along.

... I would really like to see small vessels having their place in the game....

This. Exactly this. From NPC(?) fishing fleets - this period covers the rise and rise of the sailing trawler - to proper use of sloops, brigs, luggers and so on. If you'll excuse the self-reference, I think my post suggesting that a like-for-like replacement of a naval captain's vessel should happen on vessel loss in gallant circumstances, and small demotion for vessel loss under normal circs, and kicked right out of the navy for being a pillock would help encourage this, as long as the smaller vessels have a meaningful role. Which is as fun as it is essential. Like, really important. Really. Important. :)

Things mentioned here I'd like to second are the period cultural references, though god knows how you're going to actually settle us down to any period with that historical range of ship design ;) and the bio-luminescence. Not just in the tropics (although it is at it's most jaw-droppingly spectacular there), but it also a feature of European waters in the summer, right up past Scotland. I hoping that signal lights, flags and flares will be a no-brainer. The historically accurate communication thing is pretty popular feature of the Rise of Flight world I believe.

Personally, the little things I'd like to see in the game are small inshore craft and their home harbours, bays and beaches modelled; and on board, I'd love to see an unprecedented level of animation - running rig, coils swaying on their pins as the vessel rolls, that slight movement of masts and tensioning of the windward shrouds... A big ask I know, but these models have got to seem alive if they're going to grab my attention and affection :)

Baggy

• Like 5

I would really like to see realism with Captains and crew, in that ladies are not captains or crew in that time period. 

Other games (PotBS) do include ladies on board, and it bugs me to no end!  It was a strategy not based on history, but to allow a female to play a female character.  There were a FEW females that played, but I have to say, I saw about 90% MORE MEN playing females in order to look at their graphical curves, and hiked up skirts... nothing to DO with historical accuracy at all.

Here's why I have a problem with female characters and crew in a game like this:

- Firstly, most games make the ladies very busty, hooker-looking gals with little-to-nothing on, when in fact that culture was very much of a 'Puritan culture' in terms of Naval conduct with regard to ladies.  So, no respect for ladies as a whole.

- Secondly, the other games ignore the historical fact that there were NO women on board, unless docked for a long time, or unless transporting them from point A to B. 

- Thirdly, I don't like hacking at ladies when fighting.  Call me a gentleman here, but I'd like to see a lady treated with the respect and dignity they deserve, both in-game and out of game;  not some mis-represented wishful and lustful-thinking 'compromises' in order to please the few players who like that sort of thing.  I like Historical accuracy.  Please give me that!

At the end of the day, you, the developers of the game, will have the choice to bring in female characters into the game.  If or when this happens, it will be historically inaccurate.  However, if that is your choice then I ask that you please keep the clothing articles decent as per the time period, such as a naval uniform would look on a female officer nowadays. [salutes]

• Like 6

I would really like to see realism with Captains and crew, in that ladies are not captains or crew in that time period. 

Other games (PotBS) do include ladies on board, and it bugs me to no end!  It was a strategy not based on history, but to allow a female to play a female character.  There were a FEW females that played, but I have to say, I saw about 90% MORE MEN playing females in order to look at their graphical curves, and hiked up skirts... nothing to DO with historical accuracy at all.

Here's why I have a problem with female characters and crew in a game like this:

- Firstly, most games make the ladies very busty, hooker-looking gals with little-to-nothing on, when in fact that culture was very much of a 'Puritan culture' in terms of Naval conduct with regard to ladies.  So, no respect for ladies as a whole.

- Secondly, the other games ignore the historical fact that there were NO women on board, unless docked for a long time, or unless transporting them from point A to B. 

- Thirdly, I don't like hacking at ladies when fighting.  Call me a gentleman here, but I'd like to see a lady treated with the respect and dignity they deserve, both in-game and out of game;  not some mis-represented wishful and lustful-thinking 'compromises' in order to please the few players who like that sort of thing.  I like Historical accuracy.  Please give me that!

At the end of the day, you, the developers of the game, will have the choice to bring in female characters into the game.  If or when this happens, it will be historically inaccurate.  However, if that is your choice then I ask that you please keep the clothing articles decent as per the time period, such as a naval uniform would look on a female officer nowadays. [salutes]

We must not forget that there were women pirates, and women who dressed as men in order to serve at sea. As this is the case a player should be allowed to play a woman in game, but your lady character is going to look how our lady friend looked in AC IV: Black Flag. Like a man.

• Like 10

Whilst, to use a pretty well known example, Victory's crew numbered about 800 men, she actually sailed with about 1000 souls on board...

There's a reason why 'show a leg' entered the common vernacular...

It was far from uncommon for coastal traders and even sometimes inshore fishermen to sail and work with their wives...

However, now I've stopped being a bit of an arse, I do entirely agree with your point about character presentation. I've no problem with female characters, you're right, they are rare and suffer from the usual awful sexist representations. I hope nobody disagrees with your desire to limit this in NA.

Baggy

ps. There's a very good article by a female gamer on Rock, Paper, Shotgun about this widespread inabilty of games, MMOs in particular, to to present female characters as anything other than sex objects. I wanted to link it, but have just failed to find it. If anyone has a link I think it makes very interesting and persuasive reading.

• Like 1

I imagine women at sea would, for reason of practicality, generally dress almost exactly like men.  The...err, 'exposed' outfits  common to MMOs would lead to sunburn and other problems, while the traditional dress of the time for women would most likely be a bit cumbersome for shipboard life.

Trousers and button ups all around.  Although female captains might occasionally go in for something more stylish, particularly the pirates keen to cultivate their own mystique.

• Like 1

Yes, and great points about the ladies dressing to look like a man.  That is a common theme among the ladies I researched as pirates as well. 

However, we're not talking about pirates here in this game, but National Navies.  In the navy, there still were not any ladies aboard (unless fishing or trading vessels? - unknown to me as to where this information came from).  As far as I've seen in the game development, there has not been mention of a Pirate nation, or am I wrong?

In response to the 'show a leg' quote, all-be-it true, it was most definitely when Victory was docked in harbor for long periods of time, as stated in my earlier posts.. but you bring a good point across that ladies DID come aboard.  However, these ladies did not serve as a naval deckhand, but rather served toward the companionship of their lovers when they were home, and could not leave the ship for security reasons.

Nope, there were women on board Victory at Trafalgar :) I agree that they were almost entirely with their partners/husbands, but in battle they served, much as the children did, carrying out all the support services required to keep any warship operating as a weapon.

Look, I entirely agree with your point about the portrayal of women in a lot of computer games, and how that is not appropriate in N.A. It's just not correct to say that there were no women at sea :) Mind you, it is traditionally unlucky, and to quote the fantastic Allan Villiers, when asked why he did not ever sail with women on board his vessels even in the more 'enlightened' postwar years, "There are some problems best left ashore" ;)

Baggy

• Like 1

Yes, and great points about the ladies dressing to look like a man.  That is a common theme among the ladies I researched as pirates as well. 

However, we're not talking about pirates here in this game, but National Navies.  In the navy, there still were not any ladies aboard (unless fishing or trading vessels? - unknown to me as to where this information came from).  As far as I've seen in the game development, there has not been mention of a Pirate nation, or am I wrong?

In response to the 'show a leg' quote, all-be-it true, it was most definitely when Victory was docked in harbor for long periods of time, as stated in my earlier posts.. but you bring a good point across that ladies DID come aboard.  However, these ladies did not serve as a naval deckhand, but rather served toward the companionship of their lovers when they were home, and could not leave the ship for security reasons.

Well, they did show flags for some fo the Barbary states.  Although I'm not sure the same research applies to them.  A quick skim of google results seems to indicate that they dealt mostly with female slaves, rather than female pirates.