Game-Labs Forum

French Frigate L'Hermione

PIerrick de Badas

Surcouf, do you know how fast Hermione can move under power (using her engine)?

I am watching her progress on the map. If only I could find information on wind conditions at her current position, we could analyze her performance under sail as well.

In german news TV (Heute Journal) there was a short report about the Hermione and its momentary journey. Also the comment the 'original' needed 11 months for building and the recreation about 17 years. (Seems the main difference) ;).

But its clear the Hermione project is nothing unnoticed, also by public.

Anyway its a very beautifull ship, not only because its recreated.

Edited by Theuerdank

It navigate to the motor during two days. She had the wind in the face. And right now there is little wind in its area...

Earlier she was making 8 knots and the map said that she was using her engine.

So I can't imagine why she would have slowed down so much.

I have tried and failed to find a website that provides current weather conditions for random patches of ocean. I really wanted to match the vessel's speed with the wind conditions and sea state.

Anyways, if they have really heavy swells right on the nose, I imagine that they don't want to power into them at speed, to avoid straining the masts. I can't find much information on Concorde-class frigates, but she may well have a tendency to savage pitching, as many French frigates did. It's often a characteristic of vessels built for speed, due to lack of buoyancy on the finely-built bows.

Edit: Found the ship's blog in French. Looks like they actually talk about the voyage here, and not just pageants and fundraisers like most of the website does.

http://www.hermione.com/blog-de-l-hermione/

I think the ship is spending a lot of time looking for the wind, setting her sails only to be confronted by light headwinds. Her captain says that the forecasts are unreliable because they use models that have been disrupted by climate change.

From this i found it seems that there are slight seas and the wind is off her starboard beam.

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

Doesn't that map show wave direction, not wind direction?

Anyways, if this video was shot on the same day, then it appears that she was making almost 9 knots in rather mild conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5If0W1iKVE#t=56

On s'étonne qu'un phare carré soit capable de remonter à 54° du vent, lorsque l'exigence royale de l'époque était un navire capable de remonter à 67°. On s'étonne de ressentir quelque chose dans cette immense barre à roue, démultipliée, reliée à un immense gouvernail à quelques 6 mètres sous nos pieds. Et on comprend alors le commandant lorsqu'il explique qu'avant d'être une machine de guerre, L'Hermione est avant tout un bon voilier.

Some numbers! 54 degrees is amazing; it must be before leeway, or measured from the apparent wind, or something.