Game-Labs Forum

The Octavius - British Merchant Ship, late 1700

Danius_Ash

Brief History

The Octavius was a British merchant vessel that was trading with China in the late 1700′s. According to the story of The Octavius, the ship arrived safely in China, but then the ship’s captain chose to gamble with fate: he decided to attempt a return to England using the Northwest Passage (through the Arctic), which had never been attempted before. Here’s where it gets interesting: the ship wasn't discovered until 13 years later off the coast of Greenland when a whaling ship spotted her. When the crew boarded the new-found ship, they discovered the bodies of all crew members frozen solid, and almost perfectly preserved. The captain of the Octavius was supposedly frozen stiff, still seated at his captain’s desk, and in the middle of writing a log entry that was dated November 11, 1762. After the encounter with the frozen bodies, the whaling crew refused to search the rest of the ship and promptly got the hell off of the Octavius. The ship had apparently found its way through the Northwest Passage over the past thirteen years by itself. The whaling crew departed, the Octavius drifted away and was never seen again.
post-12362-0-35259900-1428700836_thumb.jpg

I was looking around for Merchant ships, as I am intrigued by the open world Merchant game play and came across this ship. I'm not sure if it''s the right ship for the game but I was surprised by the story off the ship itself. However doing some more research I discovered that this could be a fictional ship, I just wanted to hear other peoples takes on this ship. 

Apologies for the small sized photograph.

Edited by Danius_Ash