Nick Thomadis

Unit Icon Vote  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Which unit icons you like more?

• Option 1
    • Option 2
    • Option 3
    • Option 4

I'm drawn between 1 and 4.  Screenshot 1 is more pleasing to the eye, screenshot 4 is easier to get an overview.

However, I'm not totally clear on what this view is meant to communicate; screenshots 2 and 3 do not show unit type, wheres 1 and 4 do?

Cheers

Brigand

However, I'm not totally clear on what this view is meant to communicate; screenshots 2 and 3 do not show unit type, wheres 1 and 4 do

#3 - I guess unit types are shown by that squares, rectangles, triangles and something like a flag.

My apologies for not communicating effectively.  

The shapes in Choice 3 are fine for representing the difference between:

Square - infantry

Cavalry guidon - cavalry

Triangle - artillery

I was expecting the USA & CSA flag to be represented on the Square, Guidon, and Triangle for their respective sides.  The idea was to get the flags as pictured in choice #2 for the infantry.  

A Cavalry Guidon with the appropriate national flag on the Guidon, see the first flag at: http://www.usflagdepot.com/store/page18.html

CSA Cavalry Guidon (bottom flag) at: http://www.thewargamer.com/battlecry/pix/csaflags.jpg

and the Triangle for artillery.  See Union at: http://moreinmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/American-Flag-triangle.jpg

for the confederate I'd suggest using the rebel flag with 7 stars

The key is that when you click on the icon you get the unit; which is the current problem.  It's difficult to click on the unit you want to give it a command (particularly artillery).  

• Like 1

For me there's not doubt at all:

Numer one has the EXACT type of graphic design, which gives me all the info I need and even more important:

It gives me that special Civil War mood or what you guys would say in English (perhaps immersion) - hope you inderstand :)

yep I see your point. By that #1 is no doubt winner but without the whole UI it's hard to say yet, won't it be too complex? So that's the reason for #3 and #4 - they give the same ammount of information and require less space on the monitor:)

I like #1 the most. I think having flags displayed on the battlefield is a very important part of the war. Men died just carrying a flag so not having a flag displayed here would not be genuine. Not displaying it on the map would not "feel" right.

I would like to see the shape of the flags in #1 shaped like the flags in #2. The flags in #2 just seem alive and flowing while the #1 flags are too square and not realistic. Does anybody else notice this?

Emmett, miller3492, & Ink,

You've hit the nail on the head.  The "alive and flowing" flags in option 2 feel right and if we can get the shapes of the flags used historically (as in option 3) then all the information can be displayed clearly and concisely with "alive and flowing" feel.  The cavalry carried the guidon to ensure that commanders could see and identify what type of unit was fighting at long distances and could see the difference between infantry and cavalry.  

• Like 1

Though it looks nice, option 2 is definetly the worst besides option 3. The icons should let you quickly see and distinguish all troops on the battlefield; which both 1 and 4 do

That'd be a good idea to just include them all, and the option for none. If I had to choose one, it'd be #4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My vote goes to "Option Fair."

Having said that, I would much rather see flags waving, preferably two per brigade (for Federals, this would be the national colors and a state flag, for most brigades), than icons.  I will remind you that one of the most-disliked "features" of the CA games was their banners, and one of the most-liked features of DMUC, etc., was the realistic flags. 

I know this is more work for an artist, but the large esthetic boost you wil get might be worth it!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I prefer option 4, because it is clean and gives the user all the information he needs. Option 1 looks better on screenshots and should probably be kept for marketing material and as an option in game. During gameplay, the flags could be misread at a glance. Also option 4 makes it easier to implement potential color blind options, where each nation gets a different shape, rather than a different color. I do like option 4 the most for its simplicity and easy to read information. I like the first one with its sub-information next to the flag, but this could be added to the fourth icon option as well for unit effects, like wounded, low on supply, routing etc.

Option 4 is the most simplistic one and I like it, but it is lacking the information about unit type in an easily understandable manner in the beginning. After you learn the shapes, it would make sense to players, but it could take some time getting used to.

The country flags give it a historical feel, but I feel it does not benefit the gameplay in any way, besides feeling patriotic about one side. The information is therefor not really necessary in my opinion, at least for a general.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...