Game-Labs Forum

'Stralsund' Danish Frigate 32 guns (With Plans)

'Stralsund'

Frigate

Stralsund - Swedish prize captured 1718 (built 1715). Out of service 1761.
 240 men
32 guns, 

xrQXzrT.jpg?1

A711.jpg

a1223I.jpg

a1223II.jpg

I really hope to see this ship in game.  ;)

Edited by Ned Loe
  • Like 8

It has a very wide hull.

In real life that would have meant it was very stable and would not heel over as much as other ships when under full sail, but at the same time it wouldn't sail that well.  The shallow hull would tend to be blown downwind quite a bit more (called leeway) than a ship that sits deeper in the water.

It was probably designed that way for operating in shallower waters like a lot of the Baltic Sea is.

• Like 1

It has a very wide hull.

In real life that would have meant it was very stable and would not heel over as much as other ships when under full sail, but at the same time it wouldn't sail that well.  The shallow hull would tend to be blown downwind quite a bit more (called leeway) than a ship that sits deeper in the water.

It was probably designed that way for operating in shallower waters like a lot of the Baltic Sea is.

Of course to me this is also a good thing because it adds diversity.  I think ideally, having ships of similar gun capability, that have fairly significantly different handling characteristics is what they should be shooting for in Naval Action.  This is one of the reason I am so stoked about the HMS Indefatigable being added to the game.  She will be a good alternative to the USS Constitution with slightly less firepower and top speed but likely slightly better armor and maybe even better turn qualities.  Basically it gives players another option of what qualities they prefer in a ship.   

Danish and dutch ships had to cope with shallow waters a lot. Thus they made their hulls wider to get lighter draft.

You are totally right about leeway and the overall maneuverability..

Stil thi ship was my favourite ship in POTBS when I was leveling up my very first char. I loved her to bits =)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 03/03/2015 at 3:14 PM, Ned Loe said:

'Stralsund'

Frigate

Stralsund - Swedish prize captured 1718 (built 1715). Out of service 1761.
 240 men
32 guns, 18 pd.

+1. Very nice ship !!!

32 x 18-pdr ? Are you sure about the armament ? Shouldn't a 1715 light frigate carry :

• 20 x 6-pdr + 10 x 4-pdr
  • or 30 x 6-pdr
  • or max. 20 x 9-pdr + 10 x 6-pdr ?
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, LeBoiteux said:

+1. Very nice ship !!!

32 x 18-pdr ? Are you sure about the armament ? Shouldn't a 1715 light frigate carry :

• 20 x 6-pdr + 10 x 4-pdr
  • or 30 x 6-pdr
  • or max. 20 x 9-pdr + 10 x 6-pdr ?

Could be 20x9lb, 8x6lb

Edited by Ned Loe

20 minutes ago, Ned Loe said:

Could be 20x9lb, 8x6lb

For comparison :

- Most French light frigates from early-18-C were 6-pdr frigates and would have carried 20 x 6-pdr + 10 x 4-pdr

- Most French 9-prd frigates have been built only from the middle of the 18-C

Edited by LeBoiteux

2 hours ago, LeBoiteux said:

For comparison :

- Most French light frigates from early-18-C were 6-pdr frigates and would have carried 20 x 6-pdr + 10 x 4-pdr

- Most French 9-prd frigates have been built only from the middle of the 18-C

Interesting, I guess you are right. With that gundeck it would be a nice shallow flagship with good dps. Definitely will try to Kickstart it.  

Edited by Ned Loe

Though this was probably my favorite potbs ship, her armament wouldn't be all that different from the rattler. If a shallow-water frigate is made, would rather see a later design Turuma or Hemmama such as those by chapman. 

Color_drawing_of_hemmema_Oden.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Turuma_Lodbrok-frontview.jpg

Though I suppose like large lake ships, there is a dilemma of such heavy armaments on shallow craft.