Game-Labs Forum

Clippers, a ship class coined and produced in 1853 my case for them to be included.

PowderMonkey

Hello and i know these ships were 23 years past the time where this game is set, but due to the ships being unarmed id like to make a case for them to be included.

these vessels were extremely fast bulk transporters, usually used in the tea trade, and could break 17 knots (like the trincomalee we have now) ill present a few at the end of this case but hear me out.

Every game should have meaningfull progresion and including these will give a nice step up from slow and limited merchant vessels, giveing us traders awsome ships to look at and enjoy! i will give you the specifications on my favourite of the bunch the Cutty sark. Keep in mind they were a composite frame of a iron skeleton and wooden outer coating this could easily be changed to full wood for playability and i dont mind if you change them :)

Cutty sark: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutty_Sark

Wiki link for career and general information: 

Plans and drawings Please consider changing the skeleton!

please see attached.post-6524-0-41334400-1422348491_thumb.jpgpost-6524-0-39561400-1422348497_thumb.jpgpost-6524-0-81884800-1422348501_thumb.jpgpost-6524-0-79888600-1422348505_thumb.jpg

I do hope you consider this vessel and others of this class, there is many to be made! 

Regards PowderMonkey.

• Like 1

I like the clipper as an important merchant vessel in history, but personally i think Game Labs have to stick to their guns on timeline.

They have already set themselves a challenging date range to make early ships competitive to later ships in their chosen allowable period. Bare in mind their chosen preferred limit puts the first larger clipper (#See Below) Ann McKim 43 years after their preffered time period so almost half a century later. 

1600-1830 hard limit

1690-1790 preferred

HOWEVER ....... :)  The larger tea runner and opium ships were preceded by the Baltimore style clipper or topsail schooner which would definitiely be in the games time period.

American built top-sail schooners 1795 - 1815 were the fore runner for the later Clippers of the mid 19th century, usually quite small and built for fast travel small cargo they were around 200 ton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clipper#cite_note-Villiers_1962.2C_p._216-2

#  Ann McKim is generally known as the original clipper ship. She was built in Baltimore in 1833 and was the first attempt at building a larger swift vessel in the United States. Ann McKim 494 tons was built on the enlarged lines of a Baltimore clipper, with sharply raked stem, counter-stern and square rig.

Oh lets give merchants invulnerability button directly.

Actually Powder Monkey has miss quoted that the Clipper were fast Bulk carriers, no Clipper ships were bulk carriers.

They were very much designed to haul high value, low volume goods as fast as possible. They didn't have big fat hulls, but slender streamlined low depth hulls, to slice through the ocean and skim over it rather than through it.

Actually Powder Monkey has miss quoted that the Clipper were fast Bulk carriers, no Clipper ships were bulk carriers.

They were very much designed to haul high value, low volume goods as fast as possible. They didn't have big fat hulls, but slender streamlined low depth hulls, to slice through the ocean and skim over it rather than through it.

my reply was about "extremely fast" rather than "bulk". Speed is some sort of defense too. In open sea, and in battle instances, if there will be possibility to escape back to OW map (im sure, it should be). In Potbs all most high price loot was hauled on small bermuda or yacht. Once i gang very fast yacht and got 3rd rate deed dropped from it. That was most expensive loot i had, but hercs deed or SF was more often. I mean if speed grant you safety, then there will be players to use it to haul every high price cargo

Wtf will pvp be instanced? :o open world noy so open then

well, its not some imperative for now, i guess. Admin once offer to us 3 models of how it will be and all of them, if i remember correct, had instance system included. So i believe it will be.instanced. its like 95% possibility)

If you cant track targets with your cannon fire, then dont complain when you miss. and there unarmed and in reality arent faster than the trincomalee (ive broken 17 knots in it and in my consti i can hit 16) so in reality if your in a frigate and use chain theres no way i could get away, just saying. 

Also if the game is a instance game count me out. im not playing a dungeon crawler in the form of a naval game.

It's less about flat out outrunning, and reducing overtake speed to a point that it would take 10 hours to run you down (which is effectively going to mean you just flat out escape).

We don't need ships so late in the progression, there will be a plethora (Jefe, do you know what a plethora is?) of historical options for merchants to utilize.  :)

I like the clipper as an important merchant vessel in history, but personally i think Game Labs have to stick to their guns on timeline.

1600-1830 hard limit

1690-1790 preferred

The only problem is that Game Lab's hasn't really stuck to their timeline and I think they need to change the preferred to go through 1815 as quite a bit of ships and a good portion in the game already lie outside their preferred limit.

Lynx (1812)

La Renomme (1808)

HMS Trincomalee (1819)

Leda Class Frigate (first 1805)

USS Constitution/US Superfrigates (1797)

HMS Pickle (1799)

Surprise/Unite (1794)

Brig Mercury (1820)

[American] Privateer schooner (1775-1815)

HMS Bellona (1760)

HMS Victory (1765)

HMS Ontario (1780)

Santissima Trinidad (1769)

HMS Cerberus (1759)

La belle poule (1765)

Ingermanland(1700s?)

But yes, hopefully there will be American Topsail Schooners in the game.  We might be able to double the American Privateer Schooner as an armed merchant ship.

I vote no.

Clipper ships usually had metal hulls, small steam engines to work their capstans to reduce crew, hollow metal masts and yardarms, unarmed, and were used after the American Civil War.

It would be like adding Sherman tanks to a World War-1 game.

I never said clippers shouldn't be included because of balance, I said that they shouldn't be included because I don't want a radically anachronistic game. If I want that I'll go play some Warhammer 40K game where they use tanks and swords at the same time.

And clippers were replaced by other, larger sailing ships, moreso than steamer. Large bulk haulers often called Downeasters, because so many were built in Maine.

• Like 1

Clippers should be a no go imo.

While on the topic of ship dates and what is in the game right now. It irks me that people call for ships to have historical characteristics and balancing when the game compresses 100+ years into a single instance at any given time. Basically, they want realistic characteristics and armaments etc but also want to sail a ship from 1701 vs a ship from 1815, have a guess at which one will win. That's jumping 100+ years without taking into account any of the advances (albeit slow) in naval technology. People really need to see the scope of every comment and how it affects the web of the game as it is a MMO and everything is connected.

I didn't say they had steam engines for propulsion.  They has little itty-bitty steam engines used only to drive capstain (winches for you land lubbers) and that allowed a few men to haul on ropes that normally would have required a horde of men to pull on to move the yardarms around.

This was done to save money.  Crews cost money, and eat lots of your food, and complain a lot.  Those small steam engine capstans allowed clipper ships to operate even into the age of steamers due to the low cost.  As little as 30 men can now do the job of what would have been a 150+ man crew or so.

This

2090930_5ff07484.jpg

vs this.

soldiers-and-sailors-manning-a-capstan-1

The steam driven capstan was more economical, even for sailing ships.

We can ague minutia forever if you want to, like iron frames with wood hulls, or all iron construction hulls, but I prefer to avoid anything like that.

We should stick to the hey day of wooden, broadside cannon armed ships.  1700's and just the first few decades of the 1800's.  Clipper ships don't fit in with this game.

Clippers should be a no go imo.

While on the topic of ship dates and what is in the game right now. It irks me that people call for ships to have historical characteristics and balancing when the game compresses 100+ years into a single instance at any given time. Basically, they want realistic characteristics and armaments etc but also want to sail a ship from 1701 vs a ship from 1815, have a guess at which one will win. That's jumping 100+ years without taking into account any of the advances (albeit slow) in naval technology. People really need to see the scope of every comment and how it affects the web of the game as it is a MMO and everything is connected.

I personally only want ships between 1760 give or take to 1815 give or take.  I want the game to be set between 1795ish-1815ish.  The Victory and Bellona were still around when the US Frigates were released, so that is historical.  The ships currently in game are mostly from the Napoleonic era and I think that should be the setting of the game.  1701 ship? No thanks.  But that's just me and my preferred vision of the game.

Like Crankey said, hopefully we will see the precursors, like Baltimore clippers in the game, and other Schooners:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltimore_Clipper

• Like 1

yes i see all the good points you've all laid out and see the complications, and i think my case has been thoroughly trashed and sent off hahahah.

Its sad to think that all us merchantmen will have a limited selection of cargo runners, bulk carriers and thats that. and to be so fragile and slow.

Just seems like to me this is going to be another game where the economic ships will be just stepping stones to other vessels, and the poeple who do stay with the merchant ships will be loseing them to the horde of pirates that will be present upon release. 

I do like historical accuracy and the timeline, but i dont like the idea of being stuck with slow merchant vessels if i want to carry anything over 40 tons.

But thats just me hahah can a moderator close the post?