Game-Labs Forum

Clippers, a ship class coined and produced in 1853 my case for them to be included.

PowderMonkey

Stick to the time line. These ships are just misrepresentation's of the time line and the balance that was about in this age. They are "uber" to put it bluntly.

Plus once in you will have people arguing for ships that can catch them and steam ships.

I think that the solution for the time frame problem(even ignoring the 19th century, from mid 1600s to 1800ish is a lot) is to not alow a player

with a 1800s Constitution to get in a fight with a galleon from 1670!

We could have servers based on time-frame... say, Server "A" - 1600-1750, and Server "B" - 1750-1820... or something like that!

That also solves the problem of a big map, wou can have your Constitution based in the Carribean in the 1800s server, and your Galleon 

based on Europe on the 1650s server! Like this you dont need to cross the oceanto be able to experience both places!

I'm also not a fan of XVIIth c ships (some of them would be 100 old or more)  mixed XVIII th/XIX th century ships. But nothing dramatic.

I guess the devs are now listing and modelling the 1700-1790 ships for a while, before working with the hard limit ships.

I hope to see ships launched in 1830, as long as they are sailing ships. Personal tastes. ;)

I think that the solution for the time frame problem(even ignoring the 19th century, from mid 1600s to 1800ish is a lot) is to not alow a player

with a 1800s Constitution to get in a fight with a galleon from 1670!

We could have servers based on time-frame... say, Server "A" - 1600-1750, and Server "B" - 1750-1820... or something like that!

That also solves the problem of a big map, wou can have your Constitution based in the Carribean in the 1800s server, and your Galleon 

based on Europe on the 1650s server! Like this you dont need to cross the oceanto be able to experience both places!

Dividing a small community in 2 smaller communities is not the solution i wish. :mellow:

I don't know how this problem can be solve.

yes i see all the good points you've all laid out and see the complications, and i think my case has been thoroughly trashed and sent off hahahah.

Its sad to think that all us merchantmen will have a limited selection of cargo runners, bulk carriers and thats that. and to be so fragile and slow.

Just seems like to me this is going to be another game where the economic ships will be just stepping stones to other vessels, and the poeple who do stay with the merchant ships will be loseing them to the horde of pirates that will be present upon release. 

I do like historical accuracy and the timeline, but i dont like the idea of being stuck with slow merchant vessels if i want to carry anything over 40 tons.

But thats just me hahah can a moderator close the post?

Here are ships of a thousand tons that were said to be really fast.

https://books.google.com/books?id=hcb5AQAAQBAJ&pg=PA87&lpg=PA87&dq=merchant+ships+napoleonic+era&source=bl&ots=ft-Yx-zJYD&sig=DnuQPvp9cNLFCrWrTUGZSnf6XMA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=SCHJVIqsJYacgwStxYLYDA&ved=0CGQQ6AEwDQ#v=onepage&q=merchant%20ships%20napoleonic%20era&f=false

If you want fast, agile cargo ships I'm just going to say this.

Smuggling.

There has always been, and always will be people who want to import things, not pay the taxes on it, or import things that are illegal for some other reason.

So, there is a need for ships that can get around the navy and get into port unmolested.

Stick to the time line. These ships are just misrepresentation's of the time line and the balance that was about in this age. They are "uber" to put it bluntly.

Plus once in you will have people arguing for ships that can catch them and steam ships.

What like this one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_River_Steamboat

I know she was a river boat, but in the time period and Fulton was commissioned by Napoleon to work on steam boats, just saying..

The thing is is that the early clippers were almost to a point, had crosswind yards and weren't square rigged, when pushed into the wind by a privateer or pirate group (yes there will be those groups, and yes they will outnumber navy groups 3 to 1 is my guess) your now slower and a sitting duck for them to kill you. These ships were square rigged and could travel in the wind, making them capabale of outrunning foes and blockades in most wind conditions. That is why i want them included, if Game Labs doesn't include ships to give merchants a fighting chance upon full release the beating heart of this game (carrying and trading) will die out due to the over population of pirates. 

Merchants don't need guns or armor, we need to have two choices, fast ships with limited cargo hold to solo trade, and bulky ships for supported trading.

I personally have experienced this in EVE, and Archage, pirates are a dime a dozen, dedicated traders are rare, and people to hunt the pirates were, for every 6 pirates there was 1 person to combat them. its sad but true and keep this in mind not everyone has a group to play with, and some like the solo experience.

I'm also not a fan of XVIIth c ships (some of them would be 100 old or more)  mixed XVIII th/XIX th century ships. But nothing dramatic.

I guess the devs are now listing and modelling the 1700-1790 ships for a while, before working with the hard limit ships.

I hope to see ships launched in 1830, as long as they are sailing ships. Personal tastes. ;)

Dividing a small community in 2 smaller communities is not the solution i wish. :mellow:

I don't know how this problem can be solve.

Well, I personally think that this game's community is bound to grow, a lot! But if not, them I agree with you... It all depends on map-size, normally I see around 200 players online in the game, evem few players like nowadays its a lot for 1 server, based on general server sizer around other games!

• 2 weeks later...

Its sad to think that all us merchantmen will have a limited selection of cargo runners, bulk carriers and thats that. and to be so fragile and slow.

I recommend doing some research on the incredible variety of non-naval vessels that were out there in those days.

It's the navy and privateers that suffer from lack of variety, actually. Compared to the high levels regionalization and specialization in merchant vessels, warships all look the same. Of course they will all be easily defeated by warships, but many of them will be quite fast. No heavy guns to slow them down, after all.