Game-Labs Forum

HMS St Lawrence (1814)

mcstgg

112-gun first-rate wooden warship of the Royal Navy that served on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812.

300px-HMS_St_Lawrence_001.jpg

General characteristics
Tons burthen: 2305 bm
Length: 191 ft 2 in (58.27 m) (gun deck length)
Beam: 52 ft 6 in (16.00 m)
Propulsion: Sails
Complement: 700 officers and men
Armament: 112 guns:
Gun deck: 28 × 32 pdrs, 4 × 24 pdrs, 2 × 68 pdr carronades
Middle gun deck: 36 × 24 pdrs
Upper gun deck: 32 × 32 pdrs, 2 × 68 pdr carronades

LAWRENCE.JPG

• 11 months later...

find some additional info + plans and it may be realized

large.jpg

this her?

Scale: 1:96. Plan showing the body plan, sheer lines with scroll figurehead, and longitudinal half-breadth for Saint Lawrence (1814), a 112-gun First Rate, three-decker, as built at Kingston Naval Yard, Point Frederick, Upper Canada. Signed by Thomas Strickland [Master Builder/Shipwright, Upper Canada, 1813-1815 (died)].

Yeah, this ship wasn't designed to sail or fight at sea, it operated entirely in Lake Ontario, it was just large and flat firepower beast that never saw action in the Lake, let alone at sea.

The big reason was for HMS St Lawrence never saw action, because her presence on the lake deterred the U.S. fleet from setting sail. So, actually her mission was a success although the United States won.

The big reason was for HMS St Lawrence never saw action, because her presence on the lake deterred the U.S. fleet from setting sail. So, actually her mission was a success although the United States won.

The United States won?

• Like 3

The United States won?

If you take a close look at the whole American situation in the decades leading up to the war, and how the war was a key piece in CHANGING that situation (esp vis a vis the ability to sail and trade freely), you have to conclude that America ultimately gained a great deal of its main objective in the war. So even if I wouldn't necessarily say the U.S. "won" the war, the endeavor was in key respects a "success" (even when the successes were not always directly tied to victories in battle). 

I know that, but my point isn't just about seeing action alone, though the point remains because I imagine all the ships to make it into the game in the near future are all sea-battle used vessels. It seems like it wasn't designed for sea voyages, but was designed for exactly what you said, to deter the US fleet from setting sail on Lake Ontario. If this ship ever made it to the game I would imagine it wouldn't be in the near future at all, there are so many more battle proven ships people want to see first.

To add another argument, i would rather see one first rate for all nations in the game (Which i realise isn't fully possible for some as for a lack of plans), rather than adding first rates based on player choice.

Of course many players might not be able to sail first rates if the dev's idea of putting combat and trade in different roles and to lock SoL behind the combat role comes to fruition. So i would prefer if they focus their attention on ship below the trinco if it is true.

There are plenty more ships in the ocean (hint hint) and theres only so much the devs can do to vary them.

Edited by Dutch Dutchery
  • Like 3

I know that, but my point isn't just about seeing action alone, though the point remains because I imagine all the ships to make it into the game in the near future are all sea-battle used vessels. It seems like it wasn't designed for sea voyages

There is one vessel in game called Santísima witch is a perfect example for what you have said. The weight of the additional guns, so high above her waterline, made her sail poorly. It was even suggested by some naval officers that she should be restricted to defending the Bay of Cádiz. But, look what she did! Most minds we think it would impossible, but later became possible. 

To add another argument, i would rather see one first rate for all nations in the game (Which i realise isn't fully possible for some as for a lack of plans), rather than adding first rates based on player choice.

Of course many players might not be able to sail first rates if the dev's idea of putting combat and trade in different roles and to lock SoL behind the combat role. So i would prefer if they focus their attention on ship below the trinco if it is true.

There are plenty more ships in the ocean (hint hint) and theres only so much the devs can do to vary them.

I agree with your idea to see one first rate ship for all nations. I'm just throwing out an idea for another 112-gun first rate just for the option because each nation has there own differences. 

Edited by BuccaneerFlint

If you take a close look at the whole American situation in the decades leading up to the war, and how the war was a key piece in CHANGING that situation (esp vis a vis the ability to sail and trade freely), you have to conclude that America ultimately gained a great deal of its main objective in the war. So even if I wouldn't necessarily say the U.S. "won" the war, the endeavor was in key respects a "success" (even when the successes were not always directly tied to victories in battle). [/size]

Dont want to derail the subject but...

http://news.wypr.org/post/who-won-war-1812#stream/0

Anyway... Intersting to see different opion on this... Being canadian i was always tod it was à British victory... At worst a draw...

• 2 months later...

Only one constructed by the USA, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Pennsylvania_(1837)

It was ordered in the time frame of the game, but not put to sea until after time frame of the game IIRC.

There were no less than 6 and no more than 10 ships of the line built for the Continental/United States Navy. Only a few of them ever really fired their guns in anger, though they served in the Pacific, the Gulf of Mexico, and in the Mediterranean.

• 3 months later...

the US was actually building 2 ships that were just as big if not bigger then the St Lawrence its just that the war ended and the 2 ships were then scraped

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_New_Orleans_(1815)

Edited by squedage