Game-Labs Forum

Prins Willem (Largest ship at the time of the Dutch East India Company)

Ned Loe

if you dont understand why its a loss of history i cant argue with you.. it simply is a loss of history.  if they would for example rebuild some kind of roman village,  it burns down and deemed unrebuildable, it will be a loss of history aswell,   the reason this is a loss because its not being rebuild.. if it was beind rebuild id say ok its a temp- loss, but they wont rebuild the ship so its a loss of history simply because there is not another to go to.

better example, a very old book written on very old 'paper'  being copied on new paper etc to preserve its valuable content.

the original is in such a bad shape / or is gone completely.. now there is only 1 COPY - but its on modern paper, modern look etc etc... and then the house where this book is kept burns to the ground... book is unrecoverable and is lost.

"well it was just a copy, its not as bad as when they lost the original one"

if you dont understand why its a loss of history i cant argue with you.. it simply is a loss of history.  if they would for example rebuild some kind of roman village,  it burns down and deemed unrebuildable, it will be a loss of history aswell,   the reason this is a loss because its not being rebuild.. if it was beind rebuild id say ok its a temp- loss, but they wont rebuild the ship so its a loss of history simply because there is not another to go to.

Then we have a very different definition of what 'a piece of history' actually constitutes.

better example, a very old book written on very old 'paper'  being copied on new paper etc to preserve its valuable content.

the original is in such a bad shape / or is gone completely.. now there is only 1 COPY - but its on modern paper, modern look etc etc... and then the house where this book is kept burns to the ground... book is unrecoverable and is lost.

Depends. Is the information that was in the book preserved? If not, it's a bad analogy, as the information how to build the roman village or a Prins Willim are still there. That hasn't been lost.

If the information in the book *is* preserved, then yes it doesn't matter that much that the copy is gone. It was a copy. Make a new copy. 

Incorrect analogy.  The "copy" that burned wasn't anything but a shell that "looked" realistic - the covers were correct, but very little inside was present.  So by your example, you have a copy of an original book that fell apart, but 90% of the pages are blank or don't have anything on them resembling the original's words and content.

Incorrect analogy.  The "copy" that burned wasn't anything but a shell that "looked" realistic - the covers were correct, but very little inside was present.  So by your example, you have a copy of an original book that fell apart, but 90% of the pages are blank or don't have anything on them resembling the original's words and content.

... is my english so bad that you didnt understand.. forget it im not even goin to try to explain it anymore

• 2 weeks later...

Only the amsterdam and the batavia are completed replicas the batavia did suffert damage by a storm but that would be fixt i just hope i can see the 7 provinces before i die there currently building it at the batavia ship yard bit it costs a lot of money

• 1 year later...