Game-Labs Forum

HMS Glatton (56 guns, trade/war ship)

Ned Loe

archangel take a look at my post "Faruharson" in the shipyard section, this ships is very very close to the glatton just slightly larger

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/9565-farquharson-largest-most-well-armed-and-very-fast-merchant-ship-3d-model/ 

i do also have the plans for both glatton and rainbow sir

Edited by ragnar hairy trousers

• 9 months later...

On 17.1.2015 at 1:02 PM, Wind said:

HMS Glatton

56-gun ship built for the East India Company , it was purchased by the Royal Navy in 1795 and converted into a warship. His artillery was composed only of " carronades " - heavy pieces short barrel for close combat and requiring much less gunners to serve them. The " carronades " inflicted terrible damage by sweeping the deck of opposing ship . The French suffered cruelly this English innovation before adopting a few years later.

In 1801 HMS Glatton was commanded by Captain Bligh (future commander of the Bounty )
who distinguished himself in the eyes of Nelson.

HMS%20Glatton%20(11).JPG

I am sorry if I overread a similar reply, but that ship seems to be the "Wapen von Hamburg I". =/

gDSC01403.jpg

Edited by John Magnus Thruxton

1 hour ago, John Magnus Thruxton said:

I am sorry if I overread a similar reply, but that ship seems to be the "Wapen von Hamburg I". =/

gDSC01403.jpg

Looks similar , but it's not the same ship. It has hull of a 3rd rate compared to Wapen as compact 4th rate. 

• 4 months later...

Ned,

Do you have a full picture of HMS Glatton?

Tell you why

I am a partner in Angles-Ales.UK Ltd.

I live in the village of Holme which is next to Glatton. The local landowners, Wells family, bought Glatton into naval service.

We've brewed a East India Pale Ale at 7.4% abv called HMS Glatton to commemorate the ship and her service during the Napoleonic War.

I'm looking for an image we can use in our art owrk on the beer pump pics and beer mats.

Can you help?

Cheers,

Paul

-edited RL email out of it -

Edited by BungeeLemming

45 minutes ago, Paul Dickinson said:

Ned,

Do you have a full picture of HMS Glatton?

Tell you why

I am a partner in Angles-Ales.UK Ltd.

I live in the village of Holme which is next to Glatton. The local landowners, Wells family, bought Glatton into naval service.

We've brewed a East India Pale Ale at 7.4% abv called HMS Glatton to commemorate the ship and her service during the Napoleonic War.

I'm looking for an image we can use in our art owrk on the beer pump pics and beer mats.

Can you help?

Cheers,

Paul

Remember to check the copyright

A strong IPA sounds like quite the worthy cause! 

I know there is at least one good painting In the Caxton pictorial histories series  https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CJ54VH2/ref=dp_st_184067363X of her fight with a french squadron. It's reprinted in black and white, but the original is likely in colour. Given that it was in  1796, it should be "fleet battle and blockade" I don't have access to my copy right now, but if anyone else does they should be able to find the artist, title, year etc. 

Edited by Captain Armstrong

• 3 weeks later...

Found it! There are two illustrations, one of the battle where she was surrounded by french warships, and the other of the Glatton after the battle, with the french ships fleeing. Both are by Robert Dodd.

The first is titled "To the Right Honourable Earl Spencer, This Plate representing His Majesty's Ship Glatton, attacking a French Squadron consisting of six frigates, a brig, and a cutter, on the night of 15 July 1796" 

NMM ref PAH7901

The second is titled: 

"This portrait of His Majesy's Ship Glatton...shewing her situation after Defeating the French Squadron, on the Night of 15th July 1796"

NMM ref PAH7903

edit: here's the actual second image, on the NMM website

http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/147849.html

Edited by Captain Armstrong
  • Like 1