Game-Labs Forum

Ship request - 2nd rate

admin

You may wish to consider the french vessel Le Mars an 80 gun second rate.  A detailed model can be seen, from different perspectives, here and here  http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/66592.html   .  It was eventually captured by the British.  See:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duc_d%27Anville_Expedition  .

large.jpg

since finding plans for non british ship can be quite a challange how about Razeeing our Trinidad to a Second rate and adding a more Generic Stern on her?

could be faster done than starting a new ships from scratch.

but i would still like to see a complet historical 2nd.

any swedish ships?

In another thread Månis posted several, but not 100% according to criteria.

Here is the link

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2498-player-selected-ship-2015/page-5#entry53031

I like the one under 4, Kung Adolf Fredrik (1775)  A 70-gun Ship of the line

It would give Bellona run for her money

Below is the link to the wiki for the Swedish designer of ships during that period:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fredrik_Henrik_af_Chapman

Note that the wiki entry in swedish has better ship list (so wiew the page, then select swedish text) :)

Finding a Swedish 1st or 2nd rate during this timeperiod is quite difficult, mainly because we have always focused on having a navy that would be strong in the baltic sea. Our main enemy at this time was either Denmark , Russia or Prussia therefore we needed a navy that could operate near costal lines for both attack and defence.  For example, go to goole maps and have a look how the sea entrence to Stockholm looks like from the sea. It's an arhipilago that contains more than 30.000 islands of all sizes. That's not a good place for a 1st or 2nd rates to sail around.

What Sweden instead focused on was having few capital ships and instead focus on smaller heavier ships that could operate well in shallow conditions. and after the year 1764, they focused to buildt ships that carried around 70 cannons instead.

I found this document ( in Swedish thou ) that tell us how the Swedish Lineship fleet looked like between 1721-1860.

http://www.sjohistoriskasamfundet.se/fn/fn45-lag.pdf

This is some of the info i found that might be what you are looking for. Sadly it contains only data and no blueprints or whatsoever. But i guess they can be found in the archives.

Btw, Sweden didnt use the 1st rate, 2nd rate system, instead they used the weight of the ship to determinate the class.

Here is some info translated for you:

Size group 1: 

Ships 2500 tons and larger, armaments containing 30, 18 and 8 pounds cannons, 3 gundecks.

Of this group, there was originaly only one ship, Konung Carl buildt in 1694, it had originally 108 cannons but was later rebuildt twice and had the amount of cannons lowered to 100 and later on 90.

Maybe buildt to early BUT this ship somehow managed to stay active until 1771 (it got scraped because it started to decay) 

When it was buildt, it was one of the largest ships in the world, but that soon changed during the middle of 1700.

post-818-0-83141200-1420504514_thumb.jpg

Size group 2: 

Ships 2100-2500 tons and larger, armaments containing 24, 18 and 8 or 6 pounds cannons, 3 gundecks.

(First ship in this class was Stora Kronan, or as most people call her, Kronan but that ship doesnt match the timeperiod sadly)

Other ships mentioned here is Göta Lejon ( Buildt 1702, 90 cannons) and Enigheten ( buildt  1696), trippledecker carried 94 cannons ) but was later renamed to Konung Fredrik. 1768 she was rebuildt and she  was reduced to a 70 cannon doubledecker. She was scrapped in 1785!   Some info reg. this ships mention her in the battle at Rügen 1715 when she was hit more than 40 times in the waterline and still somehow manage to stay alive.

Size group 3: 

Ships 1800-2100 tons and larger, armaments containing 24, 18 and  or 6 pounds cannons, 3 gundecks.

They mention several ships here but for some reason they mention them by number instead of names. I need to read the entire document to find the answer.   ( found it, there was a list at the end of the document, )

What they say is that 3 ships whith 80-90 cannons was buildt between 1683-1684.

Sverige, later renamed to Göta Rike and later on Prins Karl, was a 80 gun doubledecker it seems. Sunk in 1724

and two trippledeckers, one mentioned as Drottning Ulrika Elenora, buildt in 1692 was a 80 gun lineship, it was set on fire and sunk during the batlle of Fermen 1715.

There are lots and lots more but this is all i manage to translate so far ( it's late and i'm tired ;) ) , it seems like heavier 4th/ 5th rates.

And there is also the Swedish Galley Fleet but they are no way near a 2nd rate even thou they might have sunk one.  ( Dont quote me on that one )

The search continues. Both for images and blueprints. :)

• Like 1

Unfortunately a commonly stated mistake. They where actually two different ships.

The first ship in the Royal Navy was a captured french third rate, launched in 1749 and captured by the British in the battle of lagos in 1759. She was subsequently sold out of the navy and broken up in 1784.

The Temeraire of Turner fame, which fought at Trafalgar was the second ship to bear the name, laid down in 1793 in Chatham and was indeed a 98 gun second rate and would be a great candidate for a generic second rate BUT i sense the admins where looking for a none British ship.

Sorry about my mistake.  I indeed mean that I would like to see HMS Temeraire of 1798 in the game.

I have spoke some with the Swedish National Maritime Museum and sadly it seems like finding blueprints of some of the older Swedish  ship ( year 1600 ) is quite hard, The main reason is that there arnt that much blueprints saved from that time or if they even created some. Creating blueprints wasnt really a common thing to do back than :(  

But they also had some good news, according to them they have transfered much of the blueprints to microfilm and according to them, they have found.

Göta Lejon 1745   70 Guns

Wasa - 1778   60 Guns

Konung Karl 108 Gun Trippledecker ( Rare in Sweden )

They might even have Göta Lejon 1702 90 Guns.

They have offered me to visit them to check out the microfilm archive and if it's the ships i mentioned in some of the others  threads here on the forum they are more than willing to make copies of thoose blueprints for me. Would you be interested in thoose?   ( They couldnt guarantee that the microfilm contains the complete blueprints, thats why they told me to visit them to check out if what i want really is in the archive , but as they also said, if it's on microfilm, it is usually a good sign :)  ) 

• Like 1

Do people not see my posts here at all or something? :V

I didn't get around to visiting the national military archives until last Saturday. With apologies for the delay, here are the drawings of Chapman's 1792 proposal for an 80 gun ship of the line: http://imgur.com/a/dcBoT

Again, quality of these photos is limited by my kinda shitty handheld camera (tripods and extra lightning are not permitted in the research room) but if you want I can help order scans of these. The delivery time for scans is usually about a week or two; they send them to you on a CD or DVD.

Also, feel free to peruse the drawing index at your leisure: http://sok.riksarkivet.se/digitala-arkiv?Arkivsok=marinens+ritningar&EndastDigitaliserat=false&Lan=0&Arkivtyp=Alla&AvanceradSok=False&PageSize=50&page=1&postid=Arkis+71971c9a-e6b2-46f6-aba6-cc9217c9a153&tab=post&FacettState=undefined%3Ac%7C&prependUrl=%2Fdigitala-arkiv&vol=n&ct=50&inc=1&exp=y&s=TARKIS08_Balder

Send me a PM if you want something photographed, I visit Krigsarkivet at least once a week while doing research on other stuff.

• Like 4

I have spoke some with the Swedish National Maritime Museum and sadly it seems like finding blueprints of some of the older Swedish  ship ( year 1600 ) is quite hard, The main reason is that there arnt that much blueprints saved from that time or if they even created some. Creating blueprints wasnt really a common thing to do back than :(

But they also had some good news, according to them they have transfered much of the blueprints to microfilm and according to them, they have found.

Göta Lejon 1745   70 Guns

Wasa - 1778   60 Guns

Konung Karl 108 Gun Trippledecker ( Rare in Sweden )

They might even have Göta Lejon 1702 90 Guns.

They have offered me to visit them to check out the microfilm archive and if it's the ships i mentioned in some of the others  threads here on the forum they are more than willing to make copies of thoose blueprints for me. Would you be interested in thoose?   ( They couldnt guarantee that the microfilm contains the complete blueprints, thats why they told me to visit them to check out if what i want really is in the archive , but as they also said, if it's on microfilm, it is usually a good sign :)  ) 

Great News!

Thank you for that. We are looking for plans of Swedish ships.

• Like 1

Do people not see my posts here at all or something? :V

I didn't get around to visiting the national military archives until last Saturday. With apologies for the delay, here are the drawings of Chapman's 1792 proposal for an 80 gun ship of the line: http://imgur.com/a/dcBoT

Again, quality of these photos is limited by my kinda shitty handheld camera (tripods and extra lightning are not permitted in the research room) but if you want I can help order scans of these. The delivery time for scans is usually about a week or two; they send them to you on a CD or DVD.

Also, feel free to peruse the drawing index at your leisure: http://sok.riksarkivet.se/digitala-arkiv?Arkivsok=marinens+ritningar&EndastDigitaliserat=false&Lan=0&Arkivtyp=Alla&AvanceradSok=False&PageSize=50&page=1&postid=Arkis+71971c9a-e6b2-46f6-aba6-cc9217c9a153&tab=post&FacettState=undefined%3Ac%7C&prependUrl=%2Fdigitala-arkiv&vol=n&ct=50&inc=1&exp=y&s=TARKIS08_Balder

Send me a PM if you want something photographed, I visit Krigsarkivet at least once a week while doing research on other stuff.

Well, you didn't actually provide any blueprints for ships.  I know you are kindly offering to go to a museum and get some photos of plans, but I would prefer an actual scan of a plan, not a shaky, handheld photo of one.

You did link to a museum where you can buy ship blueprints, but I also don't think we need to do that.  There are enough places on the internet to get plans already posted online for enthusiats.  Russian websites are really good about posting free ship plans for all sorts of ships for people to download with the intent to make table top display models, and even official documents are available for free like the excellent Danish http://www.orlogsbasen.dk/smart.htm site.

The Danish Christian den Syvende of 1766 is a good set of plans off the Orlogsbasen site.  Just go to the link enter in a date of1766 into the "Datering" and hit "Sog" aka "search" to get the list.  Hit "vis" to see the plans.

I have plenty of ship plans left over from my time working on Pirates of the Burning Sea, most of which I got free off the internet (ship model makers love to post plans) as well as scans out of some really detailed books that I bought off Amazon.

Well, you didn't actually provide any blueprints for ships.  I know you are kindly offering to go to a museum and get some photos of plans, but I would prefer an actual scan of a plan, not a shaky, handheld photo of one.

Then you gotta pay up! I like the game and I'm willing to donate some of my time to helping its development, but I'm not about to spend a few hundred dollars of my own money on it with the vague hope that the developers might eventually possibly use what I paid for. I post the drawings with the hope that the developers will confirm "yes that is something we want to implement". If they did, then I would consider paying for the scans.

And no, these drawings are not available for free online. You can either visit the museum of maritime history (Månis were in touch with them) or the national military archives (my own hunting grounds) and while both of them will happily help you to look at either drawing originals or microfilmed versions, neither of them will provide you with scans for free.

Neptune 

Body plan, sheer lines, and longitudinal half-breadth for Neptune (1756) and Union (1756), both 90-gun Second Rate, three-deckers. The plan indicates proposed alterations dated 1754 during their construction. Signed by Joshua Allin (Surveyor of the Navy, 1716-1755).

HMS_Union_and_Neptune.jpg

Rainha de Portugal

2nd-rate ship with 80-guns, 2 decks, didn't sufer any alterations until it was dismanteled.

Built in Lisbon (1791) saw military service until around 1834. She helped england with the napoleonic war and was in the battle of Cape St. Vincent 

digitalizar0002.jpg

Useful info about: (first two in portuguese sorry, the last one is in english but it doesn't have that much info)

http://alernavios.blogspot.pt/2010/09/rainha-de-portugal.html

http://marinhadeguerraportuguesa.blogspot.pt/2013/04/navios-da-real-marinha-de-guerra.html

http://3decks.pbworks.com/w/page/915357/HMFMS%20Rainha%20de%20Portugal

plans in:

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/3004-nau-rainha-de-portugal-portuguese-2nd-rate-80-guns-with-plans/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Christian VII  was one of the largest ships commissioned by the Dano-Norwegian Navy, and the last beautifully decorated King's Yacht. She was aprestigious symbol of the crown at sea and was to be used as flagship in the Dano-Norwegian fleet. Converted to a 2-decker coastal defense ship, shefought at the Battle of Copenhagen which is often considered to be Nelson's hardest-fought battle

christ10.jpg

Christian VII  was one of the largest ships commissioned by the Dano-Norwegian Navy, and the last beautifully decorated King's Yacht. She was aprestigious symbol of the crown at sea and was to be used as flagship in the Dano-Norwegian fleet. Converted to a 2-decker coastal defense ship, shefought at the Battle of Copenhagen which is often considered to be Nelson's hardest-fought battle

christ10.jpg

Hey, I already added it to the list, and to the suggestions , problem is tho it's probably not generic for this thread as their looking for a generic 2nd rate :)